PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Converting a MR2 Trans to FWD

celicized2
07-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Ok so I was looking through the forum and I am currently in the process of a 3sgte swap into my 93 gts. I have an MR2 tranny out of a 91 turbo sitting in the garage, so what all do I need to do to put this in my celica? I know the axles need to be modified, but what else to get it to work? Thanks a ton.

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 01:15 AM
You will also need to move the shifter levers to the other side of the trans.
On the MR2, the trans is in the back, so the shifter levers are on the opposite side of the trans as a Celica.
I've never done it, so I couldn't tell you exactly what to do.

Have you tried a search?

celicized2
07-18-2006, 01:37 AM
yeah I have tried to search, but I am looking for instructions on how to do. I need to get everything together.

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Hm.
I don't know if we actually have instructions on how to.

I'm going to move this to FI [Forced Induction] forum, and change the title to reflect.
This way you should have a better chance of getting a accurate answer.

celicized2
07-18-2006, 03:04 AM
awesome, thanks for all the help

angryyoungnpoor
07-18-2006, 03:31 AM
Don't you also need shifter cables from an alltrac or something like that? And the cross member from an alltrac.

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 03:37 AM
You can use a GT/GTS crossmember and mod the rear only? engine mount.
But yes, a Alltrac [ST185] crossmember will work best.

I'm not sure on the cables.

Aust162
07-18-2006, 03:56 AM
here's a write up on converting the g/box to a fwd celica.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8320

celicized2
07-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Ok, so I have my stock tranny out of my 93 gts, can I just use that linkage in my MR2 Tranny? Is the trouble to do the conversion even worth it since the MR2 tranny is not LSD?

Keoni
07-18-2006, 07:20 AM
here's a write up on converting the g/box to a fwd celica.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8320

That write-up is for a S53 tranny not the E153 but they are similar. What he needs is alot of All-Trac transmission parts to convert to a MR2 turbo tranny. You need: the shifter actuator/linkage from the AWD tranny,alltrac mounting hardware(AT Crossmember,AT front and rear insulated mounts,AT rear metal tranny bracket mount b/c you can use the front metal bracket from the S53 tranny), AT shifter cables, AT outer axles with MR2 turbo inner axles.

He needs this write-up...
http://www.geocities.com/zegoat2000/e1531.html?200519

celicized2
07-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Thank everyone for their help, i think I am just going to stick with my e153 tranny till I can get the money together to put in my MR2 tranny. Is there anything that I should be carful of since I am running this combination?

Sean
07-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Be sure to source an alltrac crossmember, makes it MUCH MUCH easier!

90CelicaST
07-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Thank everyone for their help, i think I am just going to stick with my e153 tranny till I can get the money together to put in my MR2 tranny. Is there anything that I should be carful of since I am running this combination?
S53 not E153...E153 is the MR2/AllTrac tranny.

Punisher
07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Sorry to jack the thread.. but what do you guys think about the MR2 LSD? Is it pretty good at transfering the power around? Is it durable?

Punisher
07-19-2006, 12:02 AM

You can get an e153 from a solara.. a 2000+ solara for 350-450 dollars from a junkyard.. it's a REALLY good transmission.. and you can bolt it right up and use it.. you don't NEED a limited slip differential.. You won't get the same traction with the open diff but atleast you'll have a stronger trans.

Luni
07-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Its a decent LSD. Its viscous coupling so its not as quick and responsive as a helical or clutch type unit, but it works pretty good. Im a bit skewed as an information source though, as my experience is solely in an MR2. Borinals car has LSD and mine doesnt. His car doesnt seem like it really launches much better or corners much better than mine.

Id imagine the difference on a FWD would be night and day though.

celicized2
07-19-2006, 12:46 AM
OK so if I can find a solara tranny what kind of clutch combination and axle combination would I need? Is the solara transmission that much better then the transmission I have in my stock gts celica right now?

phattyduck
07-19-2006, 03:07 AM
OK so if I can find a solara tranny what kind of clutch combination and axle combination would I need? Is the solara transmission that much better then the transmission I have in my stock gts celica right now?Use all MR2/all-trac parts otherwise. Clutch, axles (non-LSD), etc.

Another option is to find a good all-trac tranny and convert it to FWD with the parts from your MR2 tranny. It depends on which tranny is in better shape. You have to take the all-trac tranny apart to convert it though, so you might as well put in an LSD at that time.

The Solara/Camry E153 ('97 and up) is the BEST E153 you can buy from Toyota, at least after you put an LSD in it.

-Charlie

burnyd
07-19-2006, 03:27 AM
ok I have done this twice now so I can help you out.....

youll see the shifter assembley is all on the other side of the trans.... so youll have to move the brackets and everything else to the top part the holes are already drilled out there. Im guessing toyota uses the same design for all e153 trans. Your stock gt shifter cables will work but you will have to go ahead and modify the brackets that go around the cables that touch the actuator.

Now you will have to go to the dealer and get the shift actuator + everything around it from the toyota dealer.

Im hoping you have the right axle setup also. Mr2 inners + alltrac/camry v6 outers.

Now also while your there you will need the bracket that holds the carrier bearing on the driverside Make sure you pick that up. Your regular bracket wont work its way too small and get the snap ring on the inside also.

Luni
07-19-2006, 03:40 AM
The later model E153s have lower gearing so it takes longer to go through the gears.

I personally think for performance the trac/gt4 box converted to FWD with an LSD is the best way to go. Not necessarily the best way to go but its the way to go IMO.

And kids, after I put my LSD tranny in I will have 2 hosed E153s from an MR2. That means 2 sets of all the crap youd need to convert a trac/gt4 box to FWD. If Joel (1sloceli) wants to do the conversion for himself he has dibs on one set, but Ill still at least have 1 spare tranny to pull crap off of.

burnyd
07-19-2006, 07:05 AM
If only LSD e153s + the inner part of the axles werent so expensive :(....

Punisher
07-19-2006, 04:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-MR2-SW20-TRD-TURBO-LSD-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFF_W0QQitemZ300006462885QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33731 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Think that is a good deal? Good diff? He sold it to me for 300 dollars.

That should be all that is needed correct?? Oh and the passenger side CV plate on the transmission of course.. but other than that.. ?

xeril
07-20-2006, 01:38 AM
how much do you want for the other transmission luni?

Luni
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
It isnt really worth anything to me.

Its a bitch to ship though.

And it needs a syncro rebuild so, as a tranny it isnt worth much IMO.

However if you want me to remove all the crap needed to swap to an alltrac trans, Id do that, and ship it all to you for around 75 depending on how much it weighs (basically make it worth my TIME to do it and not make me eat shipping and Im fair about it).

Luni
07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-MR2-SW20-TRD-TURBO-LSD-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFF_W0QQitemZ300006462885QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33731 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Think that is a good deal? Good diff? He sold it to me for 300 dollars.

That should be all that is needed correct?? Oh and the passenger side CV plate on the transmission of course.. but other than that.. ?

Yeah, not bad.

I wont even tell you what I paid for my 95 MR2T LSD tranny tho. Youd shit.

Punisher
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know if that mount that bolts up to the block for the cv shaft on the passenger side.. everyone says I need this for the lsd swap...(i guess this is the carrier bearing that people talk about?)

Would that be the same one that is used on the ST185??

burnyd
07-21-2006, 04:32 PM
^^ I told you Yes!..... Because the carrier bearing bracket on the celica is too small.

burnyd
07-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah, not bad.

I wont even tell you what I paid for my 95 MR2T LSD tranny tho. Youd shit.

and how much would that be sir?

Punisher
07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
^^ I told you Yes!..... Because the carrier bearing bracket on the celica is too small.

Ya you told me today.. but I made that post Yesterday, 03:34 PM.

Don't be so redonkerous.

Luni
07-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I paid like 200 bucks for my 95 Turbo LSD trans. :)

Punisher
07-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Hating you.

Since I am converting the AWD trans I need the plate that bolts onto the tranny on the passenger side.. has the CV shaft seal in it.. you got one layin around luni? :)

Punisher
07-22-2006, 03:22 AM
Guess I'm gonna take it in the ass and have to buy the stub shafts from 1sttoyotaparts for.. um... like 500 dollars.. I can't find stub shafts ANYWHERE else.. I posted on MR2OC... twice.. I looked up junk yards.. no junk yard in the entire USA listed having the shafts on car-part.com

Anyone have some help with this?

I tried calling raxles.com but they had none.. said ever since people started doing these swaps they sold out of them real fast... heh HELP!

celicized2
07-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I have the driver side stub off an MR2... which would be the passenger side on the swap. It is the stub that runs through the carrier. The carrier is gone, and it is not for an LSD tranny, but if you want it I have it. Just make an offer.

burnyd
07-23-2006, 12:49 AM

Wtf? Its story time..... ...

I paid 600 dollars more than you did. You must be some kind of great bargain shopper. Or does this trans have to be rebuilt?

and btw I am shitting.

burnyd
07-23-2006, 12:53 AM
I have the driver side stub off an MR2... which would be the passenger side on the swap. It is the stub that runs through the carrier. The carrier is gone, and it is not for an LSD tranny, but if you want it I have it. Just make an offer.

The outer parts really dont matter... as long as you have the inner parts from an lsd trans.

Luni
07-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Wtf? Its story time..... ...

I paid 600 dollars more than you did. You must be some kind of great bargain shopper. Or does this trans have to be rebuilt?

and btw I am shitting.

Just found a good deal from a guy who just wanted to get rid of it.

He got it cheap cause he got it from a totaled car locally or something. He was gonna use it but didnt, so sold it for what he was in it.

Joel picked it up for me and stored it for about a year, then when I went up there Joel brought it down in his celica.

I just got a damn good deal. 90k miles, no need of rebuild.

burnyd
07-23-2006, 04:33 AM
^^ well if you ever happen to run into a deal like that again let me know. I got rid of the celi to buy what most celica owners get rid of their cars to buy :D