PDA

View Full Version : OH. NO. Foam in coolant!.. please read.

JDMjosh
07-16-2006, 10:21 PM
this day is turning out to be not so great.

last week, i replaced my radiator and i took off my exhaust manifold and replaced it with a header. when taking the old header off, i had to sawzall/zippie wheel through the down pipe in order to get the manifold out of my engine bay. budring this process, i managed to bend the dipstick shaft over enough to put a crack in it, right where the shaft meets the block.

it bent back fine( as fine as something bends back that is BROKEN :@), but i knew there was a hairline crack there. i began leaking small (tiny) amounts of coolant right onto my block as i drove.

i wasn't able to get it welded or fixed as it was the weekend, so i checked my coolant and oil once an hour if i had to go anywhere and drove minimally.

today, upon checking my rad cap, i found a foam flaoting on the top.. :(:(

my oil seems very clean and full but this foam in my rad worries me ALOT.

leaking head gasket? or... shit from the old rad i put on?... or.. air.. or some other substance getting into my coolant via the crack?..

please help! i'm moving two hours away THIS AFTERNOON and i'm worried about highway driving...

thanks in advance guys.

JDMjosh.

vtcelica
07-16-2006, 10:45 PM
sign on to ur aol sn, i'll talk there

Donald

toyotatuner
07-16-2006, 10:53 PM
hey vtcelica that is definetly not goin to help out the board what so ever....

as for this problem i really have no idea how you could have a coolant leak by bending the dipstick. kinda confused completly..probably b/c its impossible. foam could be from cavitation in water pump from over revs maybe? pumps on its way out? or possibly air gettin into the system some how.

JDMjosh
07-16-2006, 11:22 PM
don't got AOL... only msn... nas_ny@hotmail.com

it's mos definately possible... i mean shouldn't it be? i've sopped up water from right beside the dipstick tube a few times already... almost positive it's coolant. also, the water pump is about as new as the engine... round 60k

wouldn't that tube run THROUGH the coolant chamber to get down into oil pan?...

JDMjosh
07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Donald... i added your yahoo addy to my msn via Messanger Live Beta... we can tlak on there...

elektrateq
07-16-2006, 11:51 PM
hey vtcelica that is definetly not goin to help out the board what so ever....

as for this problem i really have no idea how you could have a coolant leak by bending the dipstick. kinda confused completly..probably b/c its impossible. foam could be from cavitation in water pump from over revs maybe? pumps on its way out? or possibly air gettin into the system some how.

If you read you would have known that he cracked a part near the dipstick and there is a slow leak. He wants to know if air could be entering here and causing the foam.

I don't know but Id say it could be the crack or the radiator could be leaking? is it, new, used, refurb? the less new, the more likely. Is the crack like... in the engine block? If so, that might be a problem... that could grow. I would try to get it fixed soon but i'm afraid i cant say how. Anyone agree?

Murgatroy
07-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Did you flush the radiator before you installed it? If not, my guess would be gunk in it is starting to come loose.

If your engine oil is fine, not brown, or showing signs of foaming and so forth, I would suspect the radiator of having contaminants in it.

JDMjosh
07-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks Agian For The Help Despite The Short Notice..

elektrateq , i can't get my head in close enough to inspect exactly where the crack is without melting my face onto my header.. when i get to my destination, i'll inspect closer. all i know is, the shaft the dipstick slides down inside of, bent over quite a ways.. right wehre it meets the block. and i'm sure it's cracked because there's fluid develping on a catch space on the block beside it. and i'm sure it's coolant because at high temps it steams away... as if i poured coolant on the manifold.. or yueah.. a hot block.. lol here's hoping the block itself isn't damaged..

Murgatroy , yeah, the rad is definately used... and wasn't refurbished to my knowledge. it's been sitting for close to or over a year as well. i'm really really hopping you are right about some contaminants being brought up in there somewhere...

my oil is still minty.. and i will keep a watchful (paranoid/sleepless) eye on it.. hopefully i can get my block welded... or a new dipstick shaft put in. then a coolant system flush...

if i ever had to sell my baby, the phrase 'spot welded block' is not going to help my cause at all..... i almsot bought a 94 Ninja 900 last year until i learned the block had been welded by the magneto. i ran... :(

davmac
07-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Oil dipstick tube is a red herring. It has nothing to do with leaking coolant, but could cause an oil leak. I believe you created a leak in the water bypass pipe that runs right under the exhaust manifold. If leaking from the water bypass hose it will puddle around the dipstick. The bypass pipe seals with an o-ring up against the water pump on right (passenger) side of front of engine. Sometimes the o-ring simply leaks - or you may have just jacked it around enough to create a leak when replacing exhuast manifold. A small leak at water bypass pipe would introduce air and create foam. You're ok to drive just watch temp and top off if necessary. Eventually you may have to pull bypass pipe off and replace o-ring add a little rtv sealant. Unfortunately you may have to pull exhaust manifold to get to it.

vtcelica
07-17-2006, 04:19 AM
the main shit u need to look for till u can get it fixed is ur oil and make sure its clean and not frothy, like u would get from a bad head gasket and coolant getting into your oil. Which is not good in any shape or form, if that is the case stop driving it unless u want to spin a rod bearing or something because the antifreeze with break down ur oil. So keep checkin it and if your oil is fine then u are fine. Now about your coolant leak i don't understand (and to all u out there it would have made it easier to talk back and for the figure out what that was all about). I don't really know where its coming from but as long as its not getting to ur oil and its not leaking real bad as of now, just keep an eye on it and just make sure ur cars not running low, and all should be chill for ya. If u can possibly determine where the coolant is coming from let me know and i'll see what i can come up with. The only thing is look around the coolant has to be coming from some were and driving down the road will make it spray backwards onto ur engine. well, ttyl

Donald

vtcelica
07-17-2006, 04:21 AM
Now about your coolant leak i don't understand (and to all u out there it would have made it easier to talk back and for the figure out what that was all about).

Donald

Refering back to the instant messanger.

mtp_69_i
07-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Oil dipstick tube is a red herring. It has nothing to do with leaking coolant, but could cause an oil leak. I believe you created a leak in the water bypass pipe that runs right under the exhaust manifold. If leaking from the water bypass hose it will puddle around the dipstick. The bypass pipe seals with an o-ring up against the water pump on right (passenger) side of front of engine. Sometimes the o-ring simply leaks - or you may have just jacked it around enough to create a leak when replacing exhuast manifold. A small leak at water bypass pipe would introduce air and create foam. You're ok to drive just watch temp and top off if necessary. Eventually you may have to pull bypass pipe off and replace o-ring add a little rtv sealant. Unfortunately you may have to pull exhaust manifold to get to it.

there's your answer. Super response davmac, nice job!

The oil dipstick shouldn't have anything to do with froth/bubbles in your coolant/radiator.

4thgenceli
07-17-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm still lost.....

I broke my dipstick completely (during head overhaul). Just replaced it.. never worried aobut anything else.

Davmac's response seems to peg it pretty well ( I haven't been *me* lately).

toyotatuner
07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Nice to see i'm not the only one thinkin that the dip stick has nothing to do with coolant. i was starting to doubt to myself.

anyhow a crack in the block is serious business and will get worse. i have to agree that i kinda suspect a possible crack in one of bypass pipes that run right about that. or the possiblity that the hose split at the end and its runnin along the pipe and drippin. i dunno. just shooting some ideas.

JDMjosh
07-18-2006, 03:37 AM
thanks homies. when i got to my new town, i went to the nearest shop 1st thing in the morning and got that opinion seconded by another mechanic down the st... the leakage pooling near my dipstick IS oil after all... which is not good. but not nearly as bad as i thought. there was coolant in it before.. not sure where it came from... i'm going to keep an eye on that 'o' ring at the end of that coolant line. to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't damaged but the coolant had to have come form somewhere...

now all that remains is oil.. a tiny wee bit. my oill level hasn't dropped really.. and my coolant's foaminess is apparently from, yeah, crap in the old rad.

i'll get it flushed straight away.. as for the crack in the dipstick shaft thing.. 1 mech told me to silicone it.. :| and another said i MAYYYYyyyyy be able to get it welded. but i think i'd rather..
pull it out and put another one in' as was suggested... unfortunately... 'another one' is a two hour drive away. :|

this story went from (trumpets) 'The Beginning Of The End!' to.... (saxophone) 'It's All Gravy, Baby.'

thanks agian everybody... the collective genius of CelicaTech.com