PDA

View Full Version : t3/t4 hybrid on a 5sfte ?

tealterror
07-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Well as you all know by now I am being plaque with turbocharger problems......3 turbos and a rebuild since april ! yes so I am not liking the ct-26 right now so I am considering a garett turbo. I know I have to change manifold and so on I just want to know..if any one tried it on the 5S and what was the resilts worth it dont worth it....etc. and how and what lines would have to be adapted to use the garett

NDMstang65
07-14-2006, 10:02 PM
buddy of mine bought a garret t4oe knockoff that has garret internals in it off of ebay for like 260 bucks

took the s-10 on a 1500 mile road trip last week right after it was finished and no problems at all what so ever still going strong!

not exactly sure how yours is setup, probably just have to change the oil feed and return lines, along with a waste gate if you get a externally waste gated t4..

TurboGTS22
07-15-2006, 03:33 AM
im putting a garret t3 turbo in my celica next week finally!! lol i just finished rebuidling the turbo and there is almost no shaft play now!! anyways if u wanna know about a t3 turbo...u will need a new flange to fit in between the manifold and turbo if u wanna keep the ct26 manifold. u will need new oil feed and return lines. so far i have all my gauges in and i hope to put the turbo in next week after buying parts and doin research for over a year. ill let u know how the car runs with the garret!!

ciento44
07-15-2006, 07:20 AM
I'd see if you can find a Holset that would be compatible... i know a lot of mustang guys use them, and i've seen multiple neons and hondas with them as well.

presure2
07-15-2006, 01:08 PM
you can use any turbo you want on the car, just a matter of having the appropriate manifold or adaptor, and lines ect.
i'd try to stick with somthing on the smallish side, that is known for good spool.
if you get somthing thats too large, you'll be out of the powerband by the time full boost hits.

MrWOT
07-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd see if you can find a Holset that would be compatible... i know a lot of mustang guys use them, and i've seen multiple neons and hondas with them as well.

Unless he's running at least 550s and a full EMS I wouldn't recommend it. None of the holsets are very efficient until above about 14psi. Awsome technology in them though, and solid as a rock. MWE grooves own :D

ciento44
07-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Unless he's running at least 550s and a full EMS I wouldn't recommend it. None of the holsets are very efficient until above about 14psi. Awsome technology in them though, and solid as a rock. MWE grooves own :D

Ah, true... i was thinking 3sgte for some reason rather than 5sfte. My bad. I think my buddy is running 20psi low boost and 26psi high boost on his...

tealterror
07-17-2006, 04:11 AM
yeah I know but I do like the spooling characteristics of the ct 26 so someting comparible I am looking for tired of the rebuild and use turbos pain in the @$$

AK47
07-17-2006, 04:22 AM
how did u blow your three turbos do you ahve a link I could see? Do you have a turbo timer? ever let your car idle after u run it?

MrWOT
07-17-2006, 06:41 AM
yeah I know but I do like the spooling characteristics of the ct 26 so someting comparible I am looking for tired of the rebuild and use turbos pain in the @$$

Get a 46 trim T04E impeller with a .56-ish a/r turbine housing. The 46 trim shouldn't surge down low if you like the low spool.

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/compmaps/fig12.html

tealterror
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
well the first one was leaking seals, the second one I bought off ebay and they said it was good...came all the way from canada stop spooling after a while and the third one was leaking oil worst than the first one and I sent it out to rebuilt came back it was rather tight and then the turbine shaft broke dont ask me how! I was barely driving the car and it would still smoke then I hear the turbine shaft like it s hitting the down pipe case. SO I am at should I send out one of the other CT-26 to be rebuilt or should I just get a new t3/t4 for like 500 off ebay.

tealterror
07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
yes I have a apexi i turbo timer

MrTurrari
08-02-2006, 06:26 AM
I don't know your setup but if you go with a larger turbo like a t3/t04 make sure you have the fuel system to handle it. A stand alone would be best but at least use some larger injectors if you are on the stock ECU. The 315cc ones are not big enough for a turbo of that size because it will breath better at high RPMs then the CT-26.

extremeskillz
08-02-2006, 02:58 PM
^ also the t3/t4 on ebay came as a kit i believe with an external wastegate. It said it bolted right up the 3sgte manifold. so i don't see any problems bolting it up. Also make sure you are actually getting lube to the turbo. 3 turbos since april is way to many turbos in my opinion. Sounds like they failed do to poor lubrication. So if you go t3/t4 make sure oil is getting to it. Good luck man o and post some pics of that turbo because i was looking at too and was interested in it for a while but right thats no an upgrade im willing to do right now. thanks