PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam!

LoKi The Infidel
07-14-2006, 06:00 PM
my buddy used some of this on his 5th gen and it worked WONDERS.

Seafoam Motor Treatment (http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm)

anybody heard of it? or used it?

after the initial application, the thing blew a LOT of smoke... a LOT... but that cleared up...

if you do use it, i'd recommend changing your plugs after... they can get pretty gunked up.. and i'd say DEFINATELY do an oil change after. the oil will come out VERY black if your engine has severe buildup... and it will be a little runny compared to usual weight oil.

what a difference! in gas mileage alone my buddy had a huge increase. he said it compares to when his GT was new.

now... i read somewhere once that carbon buildup can help keep oil in the engine... its not good for performance but it can keep leaks at bay. my friend never had any leaks to begin with, and still doesn't, but its something to consider i suppose... or discuss at least.

but this stuff is a MIRACLE product if you ask me. the car is 16 years old and sounds new again, and feels new to drive. very responsive and super smooth idle. my friend even started his twice because he wasn't sure if it was still running... *awful awful noise.. *

so anybody else use it? if not.. i'd recommend it!

Azzazzyn
07-14-2006, 06:22 PM
search bitch! I actually used some in my gas last night, and I have a half a can of the tranny treatment i think they recently released. I've heard seafoam is a great part of a balanced breakfast too and it works wonders on diahharea

LoKi The Infidel
07-14-2006, 06:35 PM
i did search. most people were asking if it worked, not a whole lot of people saying they tried it.

we tried it, and it was awesome.

i like it when you talk dirty to me.

balagast
07-14-2006, 06:56 PM
where/how did he use it? Just in the gas tank or did he feed it in the head (throught the PCV). Just curious, b/c it sounds like a good way to clean up a scummy engine.

GT4SOM
07-14-2006, 07:17 PM
No do these come in cereal bars too? So i can have it on the go?

I thought about usinging it on my dads corolla but I'm just not motivated enough on it.

LoKi The Infidel
07-14-2006, 07:25 PM
where/how did he use it? Just in the gas tank or did he feed it in the head (throught the PCV). Just curious, b/c it sounds like a good way to clean up a scummy engine.
through the pcv first, it didnt' take much *like maybe 8oz's* and then split the rest between the crank case and the gas tank.

holy SMOKE. thats all i can say. did it ever blow like the thing was on FIRE.

if i were to do it, when the instructions say shut the car off, i'd take the plugs out as well, and maybe clean them, or replace them if needed. leaving them while the stuff 'works' gunks em up pretty bad.

LoKi The Infidel
07-14-2006, 07:26 PM
didn't take too long. and it was funny as hell when the smoke came up outta nowhere and clouded the entire block. :laugh:

Slider
07-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I use it before every tune up. Didn't put it in the engine since the car is 16 years old with 190k+ on it, don't want any more leaks developing. Right now I'm treating the engine with Auto Rx, read up on it and it's good stuff.

alltracman78
07-16-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of oil treatments....
They can loosen crap that will block oil passages.
It's not gauranteed to happen, but it can.
So I don't chance it.
Just use Mobil 1 syth.

However, last summer when I thought my engine was on the way out [ran kinda rough, low power, ect], I ran like 4 bottles of Seafoam through it.
After all the bugs had died, and they called in the NBC [Nuclear/Biological/Chemical] team in, my car ran GREAT.
It felt like a whole new car.

I am definlty sold on Seafoam.
It works WAY better than any other off the shelf treatment I've tried.

I do intend to try a "professional" treatment here soon to clear out all the crap from 2 bad turbos and a ecu stuck in open loop. I'm getting it through work [Toyota].
I'll let y'all know the results.

Blackcloud
07-16-2006, 07:53 AM
NBC training > you!!

anyways. I got 135k on my truck. I should run some of that crap throuhg the motor. where can i buy it at?

alltracman78
07-16-2006, 02:32 PM
[Most] auto parts stores.

MCcelica
07-16-2006, 03:46 PM
how much?

Azzazzyn
07-16-2006, 04:53 PM
its around 5 bucks a can

MCcelica
07-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Sweet

2003cbgts
07-17-2006, 06:55 AM
hey i wanna get some but i have 132k miles on my engine and it has a few leaks. im still gettin horrible gas mileage so if i put some in my gas tank, would that cause engine oil leaks? stupid question just wanna make sure.. and also, would it do any good to use it in the gas tank?

suasa
07-17-2006, 07:00 AM
it should be fine if you just using it in your gas tank, the seafoam wont get into the crank case then, so it shouldnt cause any oil leaks if you just put it in the gas tank.

aballz
07-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Some would say that it may clear up some of the clogs and buildups that may make the leaks worse.

Playfortoday
07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
For those of us with shitty tmic's where do we add it to when the car is running?

LoKi The Infidel
07-17-2006, 03:43 PM
i think you have to pour it in one ear.. and it'll go right out the other. ;)

Playfortoday
07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
i think you have to pour it in one ear.. and it'll go right out the other. ;)
:hehe:

VikingJZ
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
There's a gas station about eight miles from my house that has Seafoam for $2.99 per can.

It does work quite well. Me loves.

91CelicaGTOhio
07-17-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah really guys, could we get a detailed description of where to put it in??? and maybe some in depth directions of use from the guys that know a little more??? I've never even heard of the stuff, but for that price, how many cans would I need for my 91 GT??? and what to do with it??

Azzazzyn
07-17-2006, 11:19 PM
its suggested to use I think 1/3 a can for each app, whether it be in the gas or whatnot. in the gas its just like an octane booster, you put it in the oil, run the car about 200 miles with it in the oil and then your gonna want to change the oil, and its probably gonna be nice and sludgey. Also, you can run it through the throttle body, my suggestion is to get the vacuum line closest to the tb and drip it in slowly almost like an IV. If you dump it in, your probably gonna stall her out, and possibly lock it up. Don't get all scared when you get the smoke either, its natural, like an erection.

2kSnakEater
07-18-2006, 12:37 AM
does anybody know if this stuff is really sea foam? I could just imagine a group of "employees" of this company scooping up foam from the sea.

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 01:13 AM
:laugh:

It's basically a degreaser.....
Removes sludge, carbon, and whatnot.

Anyways.
What I do is run and entire can and a half through my engine, and the other half through the gas tank.
None in the oil. That's my personal feelings on that. If you want to in yours, go ahead.
You don't pour it in, unless you have a carburator.

Find a vaccum line [for those of you with a 3SGTE, find one that has engine vaccum. One of the 2 on the rear of the intake man work good. Or for those of you with a 92/93, the line going to the throttle opener. Or the line for the ac valve. It's the metal valve with the spring in it, right by the cc. Don't use the tb ones. If you can find some way to suck in through before the turbo, it will clean the ic and pipes as well. Remember, all the crap from the PCV is going through there.].
Once you have the line, get the engine running. If you have a GE/GTE/GZE a vaccum leak will make your engine want to stall, so you might need to rev it up a bit. FE engines don't worry about it.
Stick the line into the can and let it suck it through. You will have to find a happy medium to keep the engine running. If you suck too much, it WILL stall. No biggie though. Restart and keep going. Once you have the can empty, turn off the engine and let sit for 10 min or so. Then restart.
You might or might not have a big cloud of white smoke. Some engines don't.

Keep this in mind.
Every engine is different.
If your engine already runs good, or if the problem you have isn't caused by crap in the engine [ie bad sensor, broke wire, ect], it won't have as much effect. Same goes for worn rings, bad valve seats, ect.
If you're engine is full of oil, like from a bajillion blown turbos, it will make a much bigger difference.

Make sense?
Any questions?

Playfortoday
07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
My question is, can we make out?

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Probably not.
You especially.

LoKi The Infidel
07-18-2006, 01:41 AM
yea its ok if it stalls out on you. its a pure petroleum product, it'll burn off no matter where it is. we pretty much let the thing suck like a straw until it decided to stall out. then we left if off for about 10 minutes and put some in the gas tank and in the crank, and fired it up.

looked like a scene from Cheech and Chong. :laugh:

2003cbgts
07-18-2006, 01:48 AM
today i put lil over half a can in my gas tank cause i got shit for mileage. kinda feels like i through away 5 bucks cause i dunno if its gonna help or not just using it in gas tank.

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 02:19 AM
You will probably get the most bang from putting it in the intake.
It will vary by engine though.

2kSnakEater
07-18-2006, 02:40 AM
<--- is going to the beach tommorow to scoop up some foam from the sea

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 02:44 AM
lol

balagast
07-18-2006, 02:57 AM
I've heard of pouring it into the hole where the PCV valve is located... will this work/ be a good idea?

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 03:28 AM
That would be putting it in your oil.
If you pour something into the PCV hole, it will drain into the crankcase....

FWD88GT
07-18-2006, 03:43 AM
Ok I got the whole intake and gas. But when it comes to putting some in the crank case. Would it be any better of a result to pour it into the crankcase from the pcv or just through the oil filler cap.

alltracman78
07-18-2006, 04:13 AM
Well, if you pour it in the PCV hole, it will [slightly at least] clean it, so I guess it might be better to pour it there.
However, it will be a major PITA to pour into that small of a hole, funnel or not.

FWD88GT
07-18-2006, 05:11 AM
very true I was just wondering what the best way was to get it into the crank case.

2003cbgts
07-19-2006, 12:43 AM
hey alltrac, if i put it into the intake, will it get into the oil? i have a small amount left and would like to put a lil in there but not if its gonna get into the oil.

alltracman78
07-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Nope.
Intake and gas will not get any in the oil.

2003cbgts
07-19-2006, 03:58 AM
dont wanna keep asking the same stupid things over and over, but just to make sure, if i do put it in the intake, it wont make any of my engine leaks worse? and where do i put the seafoam in to get it to go through the intake?

Luni
07-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Find a vacuum line and let the vacuum of the engine suck it up.

Running through the intake shouldnt be too big of a deal, but if you leak oil and are burning it, it MIGHT make it worse depending on how much stuff you knock lose. Just dont put it in the crankcase to clean that out.

Luni
07-19-2006, 04:08 AM
very true I was just wondering what the best way was to get it into the crank case.

If your oil is full drain out enough to offset what you will put in and just dump it through the oil fill cap.

Blackcloud
07-19-2006, 04:15 AM
None in the oil... Check

2003cbgts
07-19-2006, 04:18 AM
yea im leaking and burning oil. im really tempted to put some in intake, but sounds like i might better not

alltracman78
07-19-2006, 06:07 PM
If your oil is full drain out enough to offset what you will put in and just dump it through the oil fill cap.

There's not really a need to drain it first.
The amount in the bottle won't raise the amount in the pan to extreme levels.
It won't hurt anything to drain first of course.

CBGTS, what Rob was saying is keeping it in the intake is ok.
If you run it in the oil, it can make leaks worse.
You will be fine running it through your intake....

LoKi The Infidel
07-19-2006, 11:22 PM
yea im leaking and burning oil. im really tempted to put some in intake, but sounds like i might better not
next time you are down a half a quart, throw some lucas oil stabalizer in there. it wont burn or leak anymore... well, as bad anyway.

alltracman78
07-19-2006, 11:49 PM
I dunno on Lucas in engine/trans oil.

Joe put up an interesting link about it.
Apparently it causes alot of foam.
Which is bad.

LoKi The Infidel
07-20-2006, 04:34 PM
i've never noticed foam... but i did notice that it stopped leaks and added compression.

i'll have to look into it... since i am now driving a honda and hondas burn more oil than Saddam Hussien.

Luni
07-20-2006, 06:00 PM
My honda did too.

One more thing worth noting guys, there is no vacuum in the intake. In fact there is no vacuum in front of the throttle body, so you have to pretty much put the stuff in there.

If you want to clean out your intake piping just get some flammable brake cleaner or carb cleaner and go to town on the intake piping that way (some say just take the filter off, rev the engine a bit, spray the crap out of the intake pipe and let the engine suck that stuff in. Then when youre done doing that, run some seafoam to get rid of the sludgey crap you just sucked into your engine.

alltracman78
07-21-2006, 01:29 AM
If you have any rubber in the intake tract, you are MUCH better off using quick disconnect cleaner.
It's made to not harm plastic/sensors.
Brake cleaner and carb cleaner [even more so] can dry out and harm things.....

Luni
07-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Good call Jeremy.

Galcobar
07-22-2006, 12:44 PM
For intake cleaning, Seafoam actually has an aerosol version called Deep Creep.

celica9303
05-01-2007, 12:14 AM
i tried the whole seafoam craze last night due to my rough idle and hesitation(lack of power...
i unclamped the vac line (brakebooster line) just after the metal tube on the left side of the engine bay a fed it throgh the rubber piece connecting to the throtle body(intake) 1/3 can ( measured it) slowly, the turned the car off and reconected the line let it sit for 5 min just as the can said and restarted..... no smoke untill a few minutes later when i reved it once ( one semi big cloud but nothing like you all are saying) then nothing.... didnt help at all. should i do it again and let it sit longer?

evolution
05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
You'll only get smoke if you're burning carbon buildup. your car will generally clear carbon buildup on long trips. people that benefit from seafoam the most, are commuters that do mostly short trips, as this is the best way to build up carbon

3sgte@daspeedof
05-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Would you suggest I do this to a motor that I just rebuilt. I noticed a little carbon build up on head & tops of the pistons. Now I cleaned off a little of it, but Would it harm the new seals & gaskets that I've just replaced?

evolution
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless I was seeing bad fuel economy and/or rough idle

3sgte@daspeedof
05-01-2007, 07:20 PM
ok good to know, hopefully I can have it running buy friday, we will see I guess.

85gtsblackman
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
easiest place to suck this stuff in is the brake bloster vac line, ive done it on sever cars they all have one

Murgatroy
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I loved Seafoam. I smoked like nothing ever before on it. I did it when I bought the car, so I have no testimonial on how it changed the performance. But the car runs like a champ, lots of folks and attest to that.

I didn't put it in the crankcase, just intake and fuel tank.

I have a leaky rear main. I did use some oil stabalizer and sealant conditioner though. Same difference as pouring gear oil in. Oh, and 20/50w oil. The clutch doesn't slip now, not a freaking lick.

celica9303
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
no one answered my questions.......

Murgatroy
05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
I ran 3/4 of the can through the engine. I kept revving it and let it suck all of it through. Try that. Let is suck the whole bottle up, then let her sit for a while, then start her up again, see how that does.

You have done the whole tune-up thing as well right? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and so forth right?

celica9303
05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
yes i have 3 times in the past year, even rebuit the distubutor wit all toyo parts from dealer.
i will try letting it sit longer, this problem is just pissing me off very much

Playfortoday
05-02-2007, 03:54 PM
rough idle and hesitation(lack of power...

Have you done a cylinder compression test? Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to see what your idle vacuum is at?

I had the same problems when my head gasket was blown.

celica9303
05-03-2007, 05:59 AM
no not yet havent had the time and dont have a compression gauge tester. but my head gasket isnt blown. how do i check the idle vaccum? do you think it could possibly be an egr problem?

Playfortoday
05-03-2007, 03:25 PM
It is vacuum or compression, trust me. It is caused by a leaking system. That could be the egr, a hose, or you guessed it... no compression in a cylinder due to a bad HG, valve, or piston/ring. Doing a compression test will get the nasty expensive repairs checked off your list first. They can be rented for cheap if you don't want to buy one. As for checking vacuum, borrow/buy a vacuum gauge or a boost gauge that reads vacuum too. They sell for cheap, and it is something you will probably reuse later. Find a vacuum line, find a place you want to splice, put it a plastic t-fitting, refit to spliced hose, use extra connector and a length of hose, hook up to vacuum gauge. Take reading. When done, use regular two sided splice fitting to reconnect spliced hose or replace spliced hose with new length of hose.

celica9303
05-09-2007, 01:24 AM
well thanks play i just purchesed a compression tester the other day, havent used it yet. want to but do know how and my friend is an ass and wont help me(cuz he thinks its a cloogged fuel injector) the only leak that i know of on the engine is my exhaust manifold gasket but its been there since i bought the car. and the problem only started like 8 months ago. i will let you know what i find out abou the comp test as soon as i do (hopefully this week) i hope its not compression.... but i checked for vac leaks again yesterday and cant find any......

Playfortoday
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Tell your friend that a stuck injector feels about the same as no compression when the car is (trying to) running. Both = no power from that cylinder. Good luck.

celica9303
05-10-2007, 01:19 AM
thanks