PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye for now GT28RS project

Playfortoday
07-14-2006, 03:08 AM
With the Speed-Source meet coming up, I decided my worn out tires and poor alignment and balancing(shudder above 75mph) was not the best partner to have on a 300 mile trip down the interstate to Champaign, so I just bought to only all-season 215-50/15 that I know of, the Dunlop SP5000. While they are the best handling all-season tires I have ever experienced, they are pricey. They came stock on the 92 All-trac, and I think they got it right. Damn toyota for making an unsual stock size. I hope they never discontinue them, cause I would be screwed for all-seasons. And yes, I will be getting 17" summer tires and wheels, but not until after the turbo. There is no way I would ever run expensive wheel in the fun midwest winters.

467 shipped for four plus another 60-80 to mount and balance and another 80 for an alignment, it is taking a big chunk out of my turbo fund. One the bright side, I am getting a $50 rebate in 6-8 weeks:hehe: Looks like the turbo is not happening until the winter instead of summer's end.:(

Since most of us here own 10 year old plus cars, feel free to take this sorry ass thread to post what projects are preventing you from the "real" and fun projects.

Before this, it happened four times prior in 2002 and 2003 where I was either pulling the tranny or engine. It destroyed my mod budget for a long time. I spent over $8000 that year.:eek2:

ciento44
07-14-2006, 03:17 AM
I need to save up for new wheels/tires before i can do my suspension work, and then my body work, and then finally my engine work...

Hopefully the ball will start rolling when August rolls around.

Got a few other things to take care of first though... such as moving AGAIN. Does that count as a project?

GT4SOM
07-14-2006, 04:38 AM
Can we say Credit card :D

Playfortoday
07-14-2006, 04:52 AM
I used to use them all the time, but made a promise to myself to never use them again. That is why this is so slow going. I was really used to instant gratification with CC's. No more though:)

roman
07-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Debt free is the way to go.

PhillyDRFT
07-14-2006, 12:55 PM
broken rod kept me from 5sfte :( 240 kept me from swaping lol

MrWOT
07-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Farked up suspension is keeping me from buying the gauges I need to get the standalone in. :( New springs and struts + mounts = $$$

cms-gt4
07-14-2006, 03:45 PM
so I just bought to only all-season 215-50/17 that I know of, the Dunlop SP5000.

Best all season tire I have ever owned. I am sure there is better, but I have had amazing response out of rain.

A good tire that is much cheaper and handles rain well is the falken ziex beta gr. They make about every size and for stock wheels they might cost you 60 bucks each maybe less from tires.com

Playfortoday
07-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I fudged up. The tire size you have in your quote was me typing the wrong size. I meant 215-50/15. I updated my original post to reflect that. I did look at the two you listed, and they do have them in the size I listed, but I really meant 15. Sorry.

MrWOT
07-14-2006, 11:25 PM
I use 225/50/15 Falken Ziex's right now. Good tire :)

Punisher
07-14-2006, 11:31 PM
With the Speed-Source meet coming up, I decided my worn out tires and poor alignment and balancing(shudder above 75mph) was not the best partner to have on a 300 mile trip down the interstate to Champaign, so I just bought to only all-season 215-50/15 that I know of, the Dunlop SP5000. While they are the best handling all-season tires I have ever experienced, they are pricey. They came stock on the 92 All-trac, and I think they got it right. Damn toyota for making an unsual stock size. I hope they never discontinue them, cause I would be screwed for all-seasons. And yes, I will be getting 17" summer tires and wheels, but not until after the turbo. There is no way I would ever run expensive wheel in the fun midwest winters.

467 shipped for four plus another 60-80 to mount and balance and another 80 for an alignment, it is taking a big chunk out of my turbo fund. One the bright side, I am getting a $50 rebate in 6-8 weeks:hehe: Looks like the turbo is not happening until the winter instead of summer's end.:(

Since most of us here own 10 year old plus cars, feel free to take this sorry ass thread to post what projects are preventing you from the "real" and fun projects.

Before this, it happened four times prior in 2002 and 2003 where I was either pulling the tranny or engine. It destroyed my mod budget for a long time. I spent over $8000 that year.:eek2:

You are bitching because you paid near 500 dollars for ALL SEASON TIRES?

I paid that price for a set of SUMMER ONLY tires... lol

Gotta love 225/50/16 wrapped on 7gc GTS rims :)

Punisher
07-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Best all season tire I have ever owned. I am sure there is better, but I have had amazing response out of rain.

A good tire that is much cheaper and handles rain well is the falken ziex beta gr. They make about every size and for stock wheels they might cost you 60 bucks each maybe less from tires.com

If I went all-season I'd probably get
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS

However the price is ungodly if you ask me.. but they are kick ass tires..

I do a lot of storm chasing and I'm running BFG G-Force Sport summer tires.. they handle the hydroplane conditions pretty well... They also deal well with nails.. seeing as some how I got nails in both rear tires.. like.. not more than a month after buying them..

This is why I went to a local tire dealership to get my tires and bought the 8 dollar per tire warranty plan :lolhittin

ciento44
07-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Anyone know anything about Dunlop SP9000s?

cms-gt4
07-15-2006, 04:31 AM
You are bitching because you paid near 500 dollars for ALL SEASON TIRES?

I paid that price for a set of SUMMER ONLY tires... lol :)

You should see what I gotta pay for 18" tires for my 350z and tires for my alltrac on a 9" wide rim. I am going to have to get an extra set of rims, and some racing tires.

Tires are not cheap, but one of the best improvements for any car.

Playfortoday
07-15-2006, 08:43 PM
I use 225/50/15 Falken Ziex's right now. Good tire :)

Nah, I am pretty particular. I want I factory for the speedo spot on and such. Only 215's for me.;)