PDA

View Full Version : Problems last night...

Cavanagh
07-13-2006, 07:30 PM
So....me and a couple of buddies decided we were going to meet these girls from chatham(a neighboring city). everything is all good until i accendently make a wrong turn and while im turning around, i notice my radio light was blinking on and off rapidly. I turn off the radio and it won't. i try lights, they turn off but won't pop down, right after that the car dies! My friends pulled me off the road, looked at it and somehow my friend rigged it to where all the power was going to the ignition.

Somehow this works, so i think ok i just might need some fuses.(BTW its 1:30AM) so we drive say 3 miles and we are now in chatham, it dies agian and all power steering is done, we get if off the road and no one wants to help us jump it..... this story is long enuff, i will shortin it. Girls come, oldmoblies put there battery under the windshield wiper fulid and a strut bar. We leave the car, try later, and we get my car back in town around 6ish. dies agian this moring and im thinking its the alternator or battery,but more towards alternator. LMK guys thanks.

MrWOT
07-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Get it running and put a voltmeter across your battery terminals, see if you're getting more then 12V, that will narrow it down to alt or battery (or maybee wiring)

balagast
07-13-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd say more likely its your alternator. How long did the car run after you jumped it? When my alternator went, i jumped the car and it ran for like 5 mins and then just died and did nothing when i turned the key (cuz the battery was now dead). The only thing that a dead battery would affect is starting the car . . . you can run a car with a toasted battery, you just can't start it.

toyotatuner
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Not neccesarily...you still need the battery to run the car. Everything runs off the battery. Fuel injectors, ecu, ignitor, and gauge cluster.

If i was u i would do what MrWOT said.....check the voltage on the battery when its runnin after u jump. should definetly see more than 12v if the alternator is workin.

Cavanagh
07-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Will do, but i think it is the alt. cause unless i threw it and neutral and revved up to about 5k rpm while driving, it would die. lol i bet people at stoplights thought i wanted to race haha. but i will throw it on an voltameter. thanks!

david in germany
07-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the alternator. Secrets I have learned over time are but are not limited to:
- alternators and starters are a major money maker for part suppliers
- 90% of the time it is worn out brushes that cause a alternator to die
- it costs less than $20 to fix a faulty alternator if you have any wrenching skills (just relplace the brushes)
- you can almost replace alternator brushes without removing the alternator on some celicas
- always use a tight fitting screwdriver when pulling the brushes and internal regulator otherwise you will strip the screws (tap the screwdriver in place)

Everytime I see a toyota in a strip yard I pull the brushes from the alternator if they are in good shape (yes I am a cheap bastard). Most parts on toyota alternators are interchangeable except for the case but there are 2 types of regulators (for the internal regulated ones) one has a round plug and the other is oval.
another piece of useless info.. the alternator from a 1987 toyota 4runner has the same case as a 1993 celica st but the regulator and pully have to be swapped to work (in included this because it might give ideas to the people that are interested in a High output alternator for their celica hint hint)

Dan3312
07-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Not neccesarily...you still need the battery to run the car. Everything runs off the battery. Fuel injectors, ecu, ignitor, and gauge cluster.

If i was u i would do what MrWOT said.....check the voltage on the battery when its runnin after u jump. should definetly see more than 12v if the alternator is workin.
Go out to your car, start it then remove one of the battery cables. It will still run. You do not need the battery once the car is started.

wizzards581
07-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Go out to your car, start it then remove one of the battery cables. It will still run. You do not need the battery once the car is started.

i second that... thats how i use to tell if the alternator is working or not...

start it, pull + off. if it dies less then 5 secs, its the alternator. if not, u got issues. :hehe:

everything else run off alternator after the car is started, not the battery. battery is only for the starter.

schmooot
07-22-2006, 06:25 PM
i second that... thats how i use to tell if the alternator is working or not...

start it, pull + off. if it dies less then 5 secs, its the alternator. if not, u got issues. :hehe:

everything else run off alternator after the car is started, not the battery. battery is only for the starter.
that is the best way for older cars

Just have to be careful on brand new beasts cuz you could fry some ecu bullshit...just a note. But on everything I've troubleshot the ol pull the battery post is an excellent alternator test