PDA

View Full Version : Seriously thinking of buying this 3rd gen!

GT4SOM
07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&min_price=&distance=100&dealer_id=43632365&lang=en&bkms=1152805012171&mod_bookmark_id=null&end_year=1993&make=TOYOTA&address=33569&start_year=1981&num_records=&certified=&ref=srl&car_id=202568117&car_year=1984&cardist=65&isp=y&max_price=&advanced=&search_type=both&model=CELICA&ref=srl#vdptop

For 899$ can I really go wrong? the guy said the interior was in decent shape. He said there isn't any rust that he knows of and also the original paint is still on there, faded but its still there. Its a 5speed. I've been suffering from the rwd bug lately and I just want something fun to drive around. This seems like it will do just the trick. I would like some feed back here. I am thinking of setting it up for a little drift action, I've never had the chance to drive one of these. Anyone know what kind of power can be expected from these cars with out going nuts on it.

Hiko
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
If I were going to buy a 3rd gen, it'd either be a supra (cause I think they look better), or a 85 gts (cause that is supossedly the only year and model celica with IRS and RWD).

But as you said, for 900 bucks, I think that could help the itch for RWD. Your call whether it's worth it.

And as for power, from what I know, mods are pretty cheap, but don't expect to have incredible horsepower.

Cavanagh
07-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Just wait until stxman sees this thread :hehe:

GT4SOM
07-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Well I've been looking around, the gts does look better with the fender flares and by IRS you mean individual rear susp?

Cavanagh
07-13-2006, 09:11 PM
For some reason the site says its FWD and i thought 3rd gens are RWD???? check it out.

GT4SOM
07-13-2006, 09:31 PM
It is rwd they just mest it up. I'm still waiting for the black man's input on this :hehe:

Anyone know if a 4age could just bolt up in this car? I would think of maybe going 20v if it can.

GT4SOM
07-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Crap nevermind, I just read up on Celica-gts.com the info on the suspension in the 3rd gens and it made me realize how crappy it would be to have a gt lol. I guess if I ever find a GTS in that good of shape, I will definately try to pick it up. FYI I think all 3rd gen gts came with IRS not just the 84 model.

Cavanagh
07-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Is there that much of a difference between Gt and Gt-S??? also i seem to find 3rd gens that arn't convertibles rare.

wizzards581
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
im thinking the gts has all options or more options and rear disc. comes with supra rims. im guessing a gts is a upgrade package?

those 22r are strong...

KoreanJoey
07-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Crap nevermind, I just read up on Celica-gts.com the info on the suspension in the 3rd gens and it made me realize how crappy it would be to have a gt lol. I guess if I ever find a GTS in that good of shape, I will definately try to pick it up. FYI I think all 3rd gen gts came with IRS not just the 84 model.

Only the 1985 Celica GT-S had IRS from my memory... and no reason to ditch the 22RE, with some simple mods (cams, intake, exhaust, porting) it can make OVER 240 crank hp which will probably STILL be cheaper than a 20V that isn't going to make as much power and no where near as much torque. The 22RE is a sturdy engine with YEAR and YEARS of aftermarket support.

GT4SOM
07-14-2006, 04:37 AM
http://celica-gts.com/mycar/technical_specs.html
THat guy has an 83 gts and it has the IRS. I don't really know if that would be better for drifting, I think the rollas has a solid axel in the rear. Might be better for sliding. I still would want the fender flares and those supra wheels definately wouldn't hurt. I'll probably pick it up if it has rear disc brakes.

cms-gt4
07-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Only the 1985 Celica GT-S had IRS from my memory...

I have already read that the 85 was the only one with IRS, but have hear claims that other years got it as well.

http://celica-gts.com/mycar/technical_specs.html
THat guy has an 83 gts and it has the IRS. I don't really know if that would be better for drifting, I think the rollas has a solid axel in the rear. Might be better for sliding. I still would want the fender flares and those supra wheels definately wouldn't hurt. I'll probably pick it up if it has rear disc brakes.

I had an '85 gt and it handled very well. It would give my alltrac a run for its $$.

The gts had the fender flares like the supra and a Notchback gt-s with flip up headlights is the sextor.

I still plan on getting one as maybe a project car someday.

I have seen a lot of engine swaps on the 80-85 celica chasis.
A grand national engine to regular v8s.

http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica-v8.html

Hiko
07-15-2006, 06:32 AM
no reason to ditch the 22RE, with some simple mods (cams, intake, exhaust, porting) it can make OVER 240 crank hp

Pretty bold claim. Not to say that the 22re does not have some potential, but I doubt that with so little, you could get a 129% gain in horsepower.

I think the rollas has a solid axel in the rear.

They sure did. I got one sitting in my garage, too :happyrun:

wizzards581
07-15-2006, 07:52 AM
solid rear diff is better, i thought?

2kSnakEater
07-15-2006, 07:57 AM
depends what you want to do, vettes have the IRS because they are more designed for "touring" camaro's and Firebirds have a solid rear because they where designed more for "drag" but you can do both with both, I have seen alot of 4th gen F-bodys beat S2Ks on the auto-x.

Blackcloud
07-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I got rid of mine for $500

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/9/celica2.jpg

cms-gt4
07-20-2006, 04:22 AM
If that was a notch back, I would be angry I missed the deal. Clean looking celica.