PDA

View Full Version : which will give a shorter throw for 90-91

wizzards581
07-13-2006, 01:00 AM
since many have said a cheaper way to get a shorter throw shift is to use 92-93 celica. these have 2 way curve, am i right? any celica 92-93 shifter rod is same or has to be alltrac?

how are 92-93 shifter rod compared to 94-99 shifter rod on the throw shift? which is shorter?

90CelicaST
07-13-2006, 05:21 AM
As far as getting a cheaper and shorter throw, if you have a welder and a cut-off wheel, you can make your own. Cut about .5" off above the ball, cut the part below the ball and weld in your .5" piece, then if you want, you can cut off more above the ball to shorten the height, then weld the top back together. This is what I done to mine, it still works fine, and is a whole lot better than stock. I have also heard that you can push the ball up to achieve the same outcome. Or buy a TWM short shifter (not cheap).

Gary
07-13-2006, 06:34 AM
You can also use 94+ shifter rod.
You can get it for as cheap as $15.
It will give you a considerable shorter throw.
Not as short as TWM though.

wizzards581
07-14-2006, 01:24 AM
You can also use 94+ shifter rod.
You can get it for as cheap as $15.
It will give you a considerable shorter throw.
Not as short as TWM though.

how about the 92-93? are all 92-93 use same shifter rod?

masterww
07-14-2006, 02:03 AM
I actually found out that there are 2 types for the 92 celica at least... i have a 92 celica GT and lets say car #2 is a 92 celica GT-S...

i actually bought a twm shifter for my ca,r as the person i bought it from had car #2, so i thought it would fit... i found that my car has a plastic assembly for the shifter housing ... and that his car had a metal assebly... so the shifter did not fit correctly... ( i dont even think he knew about that ) ... but either way it did not fit so....

as to if either one will fit ur car i dont know... but just letting you know that there are 2 types of shifters for the 92 models at least.

on a side note im actually selling the shifter rite now for 70 dollars... so if you have a 92-93 celica with a metal assembly for the actual shifter housing, msg me and you can get a great deal for a twm short throw shifter!!!! with the manual and a clip that is needed ( read the manual and ull see what i mean)

wizzards581
07-14-2006, 04:51 PM
i have a 90 st185.

thats why i have this thread going. i didnt want to spend much on getting a shorter throw shift but at least shorter then the stock shift.

ich00
07-14-2006, 05:18 PM
I actually found out that there are 2 types for the 92 celica at least... i have a 92 celica GT and lets say car #2 is a 92 celica GT-S...

i actually bought a twm shifter for my ca,r as the person i bought it from had car #2, so i thought it would fit... i found that my car has a plastic assembly for the shifter housing ... and that his car had a metal assebly... so the shifter did not fit correctly... ( i dont even think he knew about that ) ... but either way it did not fit so....

as to if either one will fit ur car i dont know... but just letting you know that there are 2 types of shifters for the 92 models at least.

on a side note im actually selling the shifter rite now for 70 dollars... so if you have a 92-93 celica with a metal assembly for the actual shifter housing, msg me and you can get a great deal for a twm short throw shifter!!!! with the manual and a clip that is needed ( read the manual and ull see what i mean)

would that work on a 1990 all-trac? if so i would be interrested

angryyoungnpoor
07-14-2006, 07:54 PM
YOu can use a 7th gen shifter also. I believe there is a writeup on toyotacelicaonline.com. This brought up my point that you should be able to use a 7th gen short shifter, as tey are built for 7th gen's and you can use a 7th gen shifter. :) I'm sure you can get one of those for hellas cheap.