PDA

View Full Version : Where did you buy your clip/engine set from?

TheNefariousOne
07-10-2006, 04:36 AM
I was thinking tonight that it would be a good idea to have a thread that has some information about peoples' buying experiences with front clips and engine sets. Stuff like where, price, overall experience, etc. Would be a nice addition to the swap thread I think.

Yay or nay?

TNO

burnyd
07-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Jarco > *

Everyone who has bought clips off of them will agree.

angryyoungnpoor
07-10-2006, 05:58 AM
flashoptions = shit apparently. Good prices, but don't keep their word. Either don't send your clip, or you get it 6 months later.

Lagos
07-10-2006, 06:08 AM
RS Imports - some small place that used to sell on ebay. i dont think they are around anymore.

good price and good motor. only issues i had were with RoadWay trucking company who tried to bill me about 2,000 for shipping. it took a lot of phone calls to get that sorted out, but amazingly all the people that work for them were very nice during the whole process. tip: get your shipping quote in writing.

cms-gt4
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
MR2 Guru in Asheville, NC. They do alreight. The price is good. I'll have a better review once I start the car up.

fastman
07-10-2006, 04:18 PM
i got mine from Superior Trading International,STI they are a good company every thing went well the only real problem i had with them is waiting about a month for the clip arrive from japan

xeril
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
i got my engine from Noyan USA (because they are located about 25 minutes from my house.. so i got to look through all their engines and pick the one that looked nicest to me). i told them i wasn't gonna do the swap right away, so they bumped the engine warranty up from 30 days to 90 days. its worked great so far..10-15k miles later..

G-man
07-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Ricky's Auto in Miami. I think their Ebay number is raceup or something like that. I would not do business with them again.

CelicaLaxer11
07-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Japan Direct

http://www.usedengines.com/

they come highly reccomeneded... bought that in.... good lord..... 2001? muahahahaha then when that blew up I bought a whole ST205 from Jarco.. also highly reccomended..

http://www.jarcoinc.com/

Keoni
07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Japan Direct in 2002...

I do NOT recommend them. I blame myself for not doing more research before purchasing anything to do the swap. When I called them to buy a motor they told me that the ST185 wiring harness and the sensors wouldnt work in my 90 GTS, so I was told by them that I would have to go standalone. I was sent a motor with the wiring harness cut at both ends, missing all kinds of brackets,the alterntor tensioner hardware was missing. There was no AFM,turbo pressure sensor, fuel pump relay and resistor, fuel rail line going to the fuel filter was cut. There was a TMIC though. Basically it was a long block with the intake manifold and the turbo. Paid $1500 plus $300 for shipping. Almost 2 years later when I was able to get a wiring harness and piece together the motor, the motor fired up and ran like SH*T! We did a compression check and the #2 cylinder had way less compression than the other 3 cylinders making the engine misfire like crazy.

Had to rebuild the motor. I lost track of how much I spent but I think it could be anywhere between 7K$-8K$ just to get the motor to run. That does not include aftermarket parts.

So now I tell everyone to do their research and buy a front clip. Jarco is the best place but unfortunately for me they do not ship outside of the US continental.

phattyduck
07-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Ron @ Motors Unlimited. 951-283-3778

Good experience. Great price for a ST205 clip with body panels and rear subframe/diff/hubs and everything else but gauge cluster/steering column. The motor started and ran beautifully. Haven't fully tested it yet though (this weekend...). Another buddy of mine got a motor set from Ron too, so far so good. He's located near LA.

-Charlie