PDA

View Full Version : Which brand of gauges

joe's gt
01-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi, Joe's GT here. My dad and I recently completed a 3sgte swap into a 92 celica gt. It runs smoothly and rides beautifully. We are going to get water temp, oil pressure, and boost gauge to put on an autometer a-pillar 3 gauge pod that we bought. If anyone could tell us which brands are affordable, yet reliable, that would be very helpful. Thanks for your time and concern.

ChrisD
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Joe, glad to see you found the new web site. :)

My personal favourite gauges are Greddy. They are very high quality, however can be fairly expensive. There are some ebay retailers that sell them for ~$110-130 each.

The biggest thing you need to look for is that the gauges are electric. You dont want to run water or oil inside of your cabin, since it would create quite a (hot) mess if something were to crack! Boost gauge is not as important, only measuring air. Although some electric boost gauges are nice too.

You might also want to think of an EGT gauge. I have found it to be extremely useful.

Autometer gauges aren't the best in my opinion. You tend to need an extremely good ground for them to work without being finicky. Even then...

Apex'i has some very nice gauges too, although very expensive.

Best bet is to search the internet for the best prices. Very hard to find them cheap in local performance stores.

Todd
01-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Stewart Warner Maximum Performance :bigthumbu
www.northernautoparts.com
nice, and affordable.

and listen to chris and get an EGT gauge.

Sean
01-12-2005, 07:13 PM
My mechanical autometer gauges have worked just fine for me :)

I cant wait to do a swap like that with my son when im older, thats awesome!

Luis C
01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Autometer gauges aren't the best in my opinion. You tend to need an extremely good ground for them to work without being finicky. Even then...

:eek: You don't say... I just bought a pair of Autometer gauges for my car thinking they were a good brand. I wanted to get Defi witch are great but too expensive for my unemployed budget.

ChrisD
01-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's not that they are horrible at all. I used autometer gauges for quite some time. I just had occasional grounding issues on my car. Most of the time, they will work just fine.

Mike431635
01-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Defi :bigthumbu

Expensive.

Snafu
01-16-2005, 12:16 AM
I use autometer right now. Of course I just have the oil pressure gauge hooked up right now, it still works very nicely.

I also recommend running electiral rather than mechanical gauges.

It's a lot easier to run wires through your dash than oil/water lines.

Lagos
01-16-2005, 01:59 AM
i got autometer, but i cant say that i would buy them again if i had to. ive had to fix my boost gauge aready cause it was reading 1psi with the car off. now that i fixed that, it reads perfect, but then my oil gauge started acting up, and seems really messed up.

im thinking of just changine over to greddy gauges, but the one thing i dont like about them is that they dont seem to offer boost gauges in psi.

oh and ... does anyone know if u can change the color of the greddy gauges to blue? is it just 194 bulbs in them or some type of hardwired led?

JGS3SGE
01-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Autometer boost gauges read HIGHER in most cases....yuck.
But do I have them in my car? Ya...
They work for general usage.

Sean
01-16-2005, 11:51 PM
My boost gauge reads a bit low (auto meter ultra light), i plan on going with VDO gauges in the future.

G-man
01-17-2005, 12:00 AM
I have autometer guages. The electronic boost and EGT guages are fine. I do not care for the electronic oil pressure guage as changes in pressure show up slowly. I also think they the way they look and operate seems very cheap. If I did it over, I would get Greddy guages.

Luni
08-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I like the Greddy boost gauges (only thing is it reads in bar not psi). If you like bar, I like Defi (they are expensive, but they are nice, you kinda get what you pay for).

If youre on a budget, VDO gauges are better than Autometers IMO.

Mike431635
08-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Could this be.. the owner of the site.. resurrecting 7 month old threads? Hell has frozen over.

Luni
08-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Doesnt matter. If someone comes back in here to search for gauges the data is available.

Dont make me kill you Mike.

Snafu
08-17-2005, 06:16 AM
haha, easy there buddy ;)

I have autometer. If I could do it again, I wouldn't go with them. I've had too many issues with them. I'll probably go VDO next time around.

tealterror
09-12-2005, 05:28 AM
I am using VDO oil pressure and boost guage and autometer air fuel phantom series.... I like vdo simple yet easy on the eye

4thgenceli
09-12-2005, 05:40 AM
Actually, Luni just brought back something I was gettin ready to start shoppin for..

I already got my turbo cooling issue resolved(WRC style vents). Time for the gauges :)

nuclearhappines
09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
i second the autometer < vdo

vdo comes stock on lamborghinni diablos.

I second the EGT > water temp ... for the most part, celicas almost NEVER overheat.

if you want something more useful than a blinky led a/f gauge. Summit carries this one gauge that actually displays o2 voltage (say 0.00-1.00) ... Dakota digital gauges, summit part number...

Oxygen Sensor Voltage Gauge $109 DAK-SLX-13-2-k

Not that a narrow band is really accurate or anything, but at least with this gauge you would have some resolution to it rather than a rich/lean light.

I'd do VDO boost (mechanical), oil pressure (Electric) and EGT (electric) as well as the dakota digital oxy voltage gauge.

I think all 4 are pretty much a must on a modded/boosted car. If you had the $$ i'd skip the oxy voltage and go straight with the aem wideband gauge. either that or find something similar to the dakota gauge that will read voltage in teh 0-3v range, and wire that up to an OEM honda civic/ acura rsx (the latest generation civic) oxygen sensor because they do have wideband oxygen sensors on those cars (which is part of what makes them ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicles)) and thus you will have a cheap wideband that reads up to 12.5:1 rich

-nuke

nuclearhappines
09-12-2005, 11:18 AM
i have to read up on some of this later (or spawn a different topic for it)

here's some links that i need to read up on :

toyota wideband application
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us10226.htm

some nsx wideband info (Also mentions civic and rsx as well as the old old lean burn civics/crx's)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21909&s=
[quote]Found the Bosch O2 sensors! They are actually only $30 each! It's a VW OEM parts 021-906-262-B (Bosch 17014). Mine are in the mail so hopefully I can put some pictures up when I get them.[quote]

discussion about LAF/ A/F / ULEV sensors...etc
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44600&page=6&pp=20

tealterror
09-12-2005, 07:39 PM
VDo give the car a stealthy appearance inside like noting is going on ...... lol anyone one knows wher to find a decent DIN guage holder