PDA

View Full Version : I got my A/C back

inbowns
07-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Due to federal government standard R-12 ia hard as hell to get, It's okay I'm all for saying the ozone layer I'm not ready to live underground, becuase of the seering heat from the unprotected sun, but I just recently got my car retro fitted for R134a it seems to be working fine now well to be honest I froze my ass off because I have the Celica GT-S which has the climate control and every time I drive into the direct sun light it seems like it drops the temperature a little bit more and the price wasn't too bad it only set me back $300. So if anyone want to know if the retro fit works or is worth it stay tune to this post I'll give you guys the heads up.

Also it too them 3 hours to do.

Any questions please feel free to ask me.

85gtsblackman
07-01-2006, 09:36 PM
should have only took an hour

book labor may have been more, im sure of it

i need ti fix the seal on the front of my comperssor, then ill be good to go

till then i mostly drive the gts in the afternoon and at night

Murgatroy
07-01-2006, 11:34 PM
What is A/C?

Does it have something to do with that compressor and all those hoses and belts I removed a few years ago?

I just thought they were extra weight and power robbing devices...

A/C is for pussies.

DISCLAIMER: Murg is only teasing, his thoughts and/or opinions are his own and in no way reflect the thoughts and/or opinions of the rest of the site. :hehe:

ciento44
07-02-2006, 12:23 AM
What is A/C?

Does it have something to do with that compressor and all those hoses and belts I removed a few years ago?

I just thought they were extra weight and power robbing devices...

A/C is for pussies.

DISCLAIMER: Murg is only teasing, his thoughts and/or opinions are his own and in no way reflect the thoughts and/or opinions of the rest of the site. :hehe:

Hey, speaking of which.... how involved is the process, and how much weight does it save?

Murgatroy
07-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Depends, if you want to remove everything you pretty much have to disassemble the entire front end.

The compressor and associated hoses come off in a matter of minutes. It will save you about 30lbs and there will be less drag on the accessory pulleys.

GRUMPY514
07-02-2006, 03:14 AM
I am actully curious now of WHO here has swapped their engine with 3sgte and kept the AC?

Anybody?

aballz
07-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Whats a retrofit? I have a gts with a dead compressor(I think). Anything worth knowing about replacing or fixing my AC would be greatly appreciated!

inbowns
07-02-2006, 04:46 AM
Retro fit allows your car to accept the new freon. I know it's odd to call it retro fit I would think modified sounds better, but maybe retro mean to fit older models. Anyhow don't give up hope on that compressor I thought mine was dead until I jumped the relay and it worked. You can find the relay under the hood on the right side. if you jump it you should hear the magnetic clucth kick in.

Also Murgatroy I'm very happy you think A/C is for pussies. Good luck rolling around without A/C. That not for me when I arrive someplace i don't want to be drenched in sweat.

Murgatroy
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I live in the south. I know what hot is. I have NEVER owned a car with operational A/C. If I purchase a car that has A/C, the belts and compressor are some of the first things I remove.

It is all personal preference as to what is more important, comfort, or performance.

Now I am not bashing on A/C even if that is what it seems like. I drive trucks, and they have A/C and you better believe now that it is Summer, everytime you see my ass behind the wheel of one, the A/C is blowing. But, I don't have to pay for the gas, and power is not really an issue with a Turbo Diesel.

Oh, and the wife's car has A/C. She whines. A lot.

2kSnakEater
07-03-2006, 10:57 PM

dude you dont live in the south, I live in the south and In florida a/c is mandatory or you will die a slow and hot death.

Murgatroy
07-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Florida is not part of the real South, it is just where old ppl go to live their last days. :hehe:

wizzards581
07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
i thought this was back in 1994??

or is it just too old for me...