PDA

View Full Version : very first official kill in the swap.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Boosted 240's are fun to play with, what is even funnier is when you come to a stop and you ask the guy if hes ever run at the track, and the guy responds by saying he ran a 13.6, and that hes running 10 - 12lbs, I couldn't help but laugh to myself in my primered coloured celica, that just showed him what its like to get beat by a car running only 8lbs :wiggle:

left from a roll at about 30km/h till about 100km/h, I was pulling on him in third when I let off the gas. In his defence he had a passenger in his car, passenger was good enough to give me a thumbs up and tell me my car runs great.

GT4SOM
06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Nice kill, our cars suck balls at the 1/4. Who cares, when ever you're playing with someone on the streets 9/10 times its always in motion.

Lagos
06-27-2006, 10:19 PM
thats awesom!

our cars are horrible for the 1/4mile, but its awesome to smoke someone who claims to get mid 13s.

Punisher
06-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Fuck the 1/4... Drag queens can lick my arse.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-28-2006, 07:27 PM
thats awesom!

our cars are horrible for the 1/4mile, but its awesome to smoke someone who claims to get mid 13s.

:eek: why do you guys say that, most swappers have slips of anywhere from 13.9 to mid 14's how is that bad?

PhillyDRFT
06-28-2006, 07:38 PM
:eek: why do you guys say that, most swappers have slips of anywhere from 13.9 to mid 14's how is that bad?

lol local tracks around here have regulars who run close to 10's every now and then youll see under that. so for 1/4 at the track 14's isnt that fast, but for the street it makes for a fun ride.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
ok, so tell me how do I run low 13's all day, I know most mr2s do it with exhaust, intake & a mbc, so how do I get to run low 13's all day long.
Considering I have 3" exhaust planned for the upcoming weeks ahead
I already have lsd, and a mbc, what else do i need or should i do, go fmic maybe?

ciento44
06-29-2006, 01:50 AM
ok, so tell me how do I run low 13's all day, I know most mr2s do it with exhaust, intake & a mbc, so how do I get to run low 13's all day long.
Considering I have 3" exhaust planned for the upcoming weeks ahead
I already have lsd, and a mbc, what else do i need or should i do, go fmic maybe?

Fmic, more boost, more boost, and slicks. :P

3sgte@daspeedof
06-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Would simple upgrades like 3" exhaust, boost set at 14lbs, and a fmic allow me to run low 13's all day?

T-spoon
06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Would simple upgrades like 3" exhaust, boost set at 14lbs, and a fmic allow me to run low 13's all day?

Maybe with traction, but that's not a given. That's an inherant issue with FWD

3sgte@daspeedof
06-29-2006, 06:43 PM
I have an lsd tranny and with good tires it will grip, problem with that is good tires only last me about 3 months, and it gets expensive.

I'm running 205/40/16 nitto 450's all around, can someone recommend a better tire that has good performance tires, that will still give me good wet & dry traction

burnyd
06-29-2006, 07:33 PM

nope. Traction is the key to our cars. I meen you might hit a high 13 with a really good driver.

bloodredgt
06-29-2006, 08:03 PM
I have an lsd tranny and with good tires it will grip, problem with that is good tires only last me about 3 months, and it gets expensive.

I'm running 205/40/16 nitto 450's all around, can someone recommend a better tire that has good performance tires, that will still give me good wet & dry traction

Jeezz... 205/40/16?????? I'm surprised you haven't cracked a rim yet. I'm running 205/45/zr16 and i'm worried everytime i hit pothole that my rim will crack.

I have falken ziex-512 tires. They've been pretty good so far, but the wet traction could be better. They have a high treadwear rating so the tread is still high compared to the hankooks and the yokohamas i had before. They've lasted just as long as the hankooks and yokos but have about 85% tread left. When the tires were new, they had GREAT wet traction and didn't hydroplane, but the miles have gotten to them.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Jeezz... 205/40/16?????? I'm surprised you haven't cracked a rim yet. I'm running 205/45/zr16 and i'm worried everytime i hit pothole that my rim will crack.

I have falken ziex-512 tires. They've been pretty good so far, but the wet traction could be better. They have a high treadwear rating so the tread is still high compared to the hankooks and the yokohamas i had before. They've lasted just as long as the hankooks and yokos but have about 85% tread left. When the tires were new, they had GREAT wet traction and didn't hydroplane, but the miles have gotten to them.

Oh man I feel it every time I hit something, I'm worried about that, and yes my wet traction was great when I first got the tires, but that was back in feb./march its now months & thousands of miles later. So I'm looking for something that will last me longer then one summer.

T-spoon
06-30-2006, 07:52 PM
For running the 1/4 mile times you want, you need grip. Grip will wear out faster, nothing you can do to change that fact really. You also want more sidewall than that with lower tire pressure than you would for the street to eek all the sticky you can out of your tires, so you'd probably be better served with a smaller wheel (14 or 15) with thicker sidewall (by thicker I mean taller) and very sticky tread. That's not going to be as fun on the street and cornering, so best bet would be to slap on different front wheels when you want to go to the track. Any compromise for better street/cornering performance and longer tire life is probably going to = slower 1/4 mile times.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-30-2006, 09:50 PM
great info, thanks T-spoon

Do you recommend any specific tires for track days?

And what is a really good tire for street/performance/cornering, I can hear my 450's squealing though the corners taking moderate speeds right now.

T-spoon
06-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Heh, I'm afraid I don't have any info on particular brands, just general info. Guys that run regularly at the track can tell you what good tires for that are (if noone here offers info, might check the 1/4 mile runners on MR2OC), and guys that auto cross can tell you what is a good sticky tire with a stiff sidewall for street driving. You'll have to balance that with something that has longer tread life. A lot of AutoXers swear by Azenis, but I don't know how much daily driving you'd get out of a set (of course depending on your driving habits).

3sgte@daspeedof
06-30-2006, 10:29 PM
ok, makes sense I'll go post there now

deuce
07-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Nice Kill Tyrone....Can't wait to race you with my 5sfe celica hihi

AK47
07-02-2006, 03:33 PM
nice Ty, I guess the LSD is a good investment. As for tires I hear kumho is best bang for buck...they grip really well

3sgte@daspeedof
07-03-2006, 05:49 PM
good to know, yea duece just msg me when your free

bloodredgt
07-04-2006, 07:42 AM
michelin pilot sports or toyo ts1 tires are good. Lightweight and sticky.

Dan3312
07-18-2006, 10:59 PM
MR2s run in the 13s all day because they have unreal traction. A big problem for them is bogging out because the tires won't spin without a really hard launch and then they spin too much.

ChrisD
07-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Good stuff. SR20's are quick, I wouldnt dismiss them thats for sure. I have beaten quite a few and also seen quite a few run faster times than me. Silvias and Skylines are getting pretty common out here as are SR20 swaps.

How to run low 13's? Get rid of the pea shooter turbo and get some traction. :D

ciento44
07-18-2006, 11:30 PM
SR20s are sweet... There's an S13 around here that runs 11.2 on street tires with an SR20 swap.

wizzards581
07-23-2006, 08:12 AM
for me its really hard to beat my bros tC. i have a 3" DP installed. everything stock. cant beat on long run.

Morwan
07-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Get a goddamn boost controller. :P

gt4wannabe
07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
haha boo for teh 1/4 mile be the highway master!!!! HEHEEHE

Cavanagh
08-06-2006, 10:17 PM
great info, thanks T-spoon

Do you recommend any specific tires for track days?

And what is a really good tire for street/performance/cornering, I can hear my 450's squealing though the corners taking moderate speeds right now.

Pick up Super Streets April (i think) issue and it has a big ass tire guide for track and street use with tread info and what not. Sorry don't know if its april for sure and im too lazy to get it.

Cavanagh
08-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Also, i think Super Street itself has its own tire guide magazine out right now.

spoolin_gt
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
BFgoodrich drag radials..

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/gforce_drag_radial_large.jpg

3sgte@daspeedof
08-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Yea I know those seem to be the best bet.

On another note, I was trying to get this mr2 to run against me a few nights ago on the highway. I know he was boosted, and I knew he would be quick, we went from about 120km to 165km, and his pick up was crazy. he jumped about 3 car lengths on me, but in my defense I didn't downshift into 4th, I just put my foot down in 5th to see how long it would take to reel him in. Gave me a quick nod as I passed him.

Then last night I ran into a Lamborghini murcialgo(sorry too lazy to find the correct spelling), and shit was it quick I jumped on it in first at a light, shifted to second and he jumped on me 2 car lengths all this from a stop light but as soon as I started to reel him in he shut it down, and went back to cruising. I was so disappointed he wouldn't run.

allblackalltrac
08-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Ty,

Word from the wise, until you CHANGE THAT FUEL PUMP, I wouldnt boost past 8 PSI or you'll be pulling your motor AGAIN!
Invest in a FMIC, 3" exhaust, DP, step colder plugs, fuel pump, a good MBC and a E-manage. Then boost to 14PSI but no more cause the stock ecu does'nt have maps beyond that. After all that if you still want more your looking at ALOT more money. But what I reccommended is your BPU that will get you about 300 crank and the limit of traction in FWD. As for tires Azenis RT-615 are the best bang for your buck.
The MR2 was probablly boosting more than you which is why he got out so fast, but like other have said you should be in the 13's already especially in a gutted GTS.

3sgte@daspeedof
08-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I have a stock 3s fuel pump, just haven't installed it yet, and I'm running my fuel pump constant so I'm running rich as it is.
3" Exhaust will be going in soon. I'm gonna be running about 12 to 13psi max so I don't think I'm going to go to a front mount. I might try and find a wta ic, but I'm not sure how far I'm willing to go yet.

Thanks for the advice

xeril
08-16-2006, 06:19 AM
I have a stock 3s fuel pump, just haven't installed it yet, and I'm running my fuel pump constant so I'm running rich as it is.
3" Exhaust will be going in soon. I'm gonna be running about 12 to 13psi max so I don't think I'm going to go to a front mount. I might try and find a wta ic, but I'm not sure how far I'm willing to go yet.

Thanks for the advice

just want to inform you, just because you are running your fuel pumpp fool time, doesn't mean you wont go lean under higher boost. the fuel pump can only pump so much fuel. any extra fuel it pumps at any time, just goes throught he fuel return line back to your tank. get a fuel pump, you'll notice a difference.. i sure as hell did.

extremeskillz
08-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Have you guys tried using some sort of wheelie bar to prevent the car from tilting back when you step on the gas. This might solve you traction issue. Especially you drag racers. A removalable wheelie bar might be the answer

spoolin_gt
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Its FWD..they're not putting out that much power..

Proper suspension, lsd and sticky tires will give us good traction..