PDA

View Full Version : Title

ciento44
06-27-2006, 04:09 AM
Does anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get a car titled that doesn't current have a title?

Reason why i'm asking is that i'm in the middle of negotiations for a DD, for a great price, and there is no title. If it's a huge pain in the ass, or not doable, then i'm going to step away as soon as i figure it out. If it's doable, even if it takes a month or two, i'm going for this bastard.

Car in question is a 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi.

Any help, sharing experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated. :)

MrWOT
06-27-2006, 04:20 AM
It's not that bad so long as the person you're buying it from has the vehicle actually registered in their name. If they do all you have to do is get them to submit a request for duplicate/replacement title from the DMV, costs a few bucks, they send it and it should arrive within a week.

Hope you know what you're getting into with that car... they are very touchy and maintainance oriented with the stock TBI system. If you get it I'd strongly recommend looking into a MPI conversion, lots of folks do it now and it adds whole worlds of reliability, fuel economy and power.

ciento44
06-27-2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I know it's not going to be near as reliable or as easy to deal with as the celica, but for the price, assuming that what it needs fixed is what i and a couple people from the Starquest forums think it is, it's pretty much a no lose situation, even if it only runs for 2 months. :P

You wouldn't happen to have a link or info anywhere on the MPI conversion, would you? I'll have to ask this dude about it, he just rebuilt the engine, and did a couple of things to it in the process, but he didn't mention MPI, so i dunno.

http://www.indycarz.com/uploads/attachments/my_file_107_623.jpg

convertiblechick
06-27-2006, 04:34 AM
for an '87??
I haven't had a vehicle title for the past i dunno how many years (i always drove rustbuckets)
here, you don't need a title if the vehicle is over 10 years old.

ciento44
06-27-2006, 05:10 AM
In NY, that rule was 77 or older i think... something like that. Not sure what the rule is in Indiana. I'll call the BMV tomorrow during break or something.