PDA

View Full Version : Swap plans for new Celica.

xlee
06-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, its not exactly new, but to me it is. I just got a 1990 GTS. Motor is shot, it has a body kit, erebuni sides and rear which is molded to the body. Not a bad job i think, maybe a repaint will do the trick.

I've read all over the place for a decent swap. I'm fairly mechanical minded myself, but i need more info on this type of Car.

There is a jspec 5sfe with square spark plugs on ebay. will this model motor fit into mines without slight modifications? has anyone done it? This will be the way if i'll need it to get it running asap.

most people on this site also recommend getting an mr2 3sgte over the all trac motor. from what i read, there are complications with the tranny setup, and there is a kit for it. anyone have that list of all needed parts + cost?

as far as how much can i spend on this? I have 2000.00 bones to spare to get it running for now. Body work will have to wait.

Thanks for looking and i value every input.
Lee.

ciento44
06-25-2006, 05:18 PM
The AllTrac motor and the MR2 3sgte are one and the same. The easiest thing to do is to get an AllTrac front clip, and just swap everything over. You can use the stock tranny from the GTS, assuming it's manual, until you start putting down more power...

The reason people try to get the later MR2 Turbo clips is for the LSD E153 tranny.

Murgatroy
06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
The 5SFE you mentioned from EBay will drop right in and bolt up, PnP. No wiring issues there. It would be your fastest way to get it running.

There is lots of info here on swapping a 3SGTE, just browse the site and ask questions, anything you could want to know, we can answer.

90CelicaST
06-25-2006, 05:50 PM
There is no J-Spec 5SFE, it was never offered in any cars there. The engine that was, was the 2.0L 3SFE. The 5AFE was available over there as well, but that was for the Corollas and replacement for the 4AFE we got here in our ST's.

xlee
06-26-2006, 04:40 AM
What about this 3sfe? would that work seamingly without major mods?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-TOYOTA-CAMRY-CELICA-MR-2-3sfe-JDM-ENGINE-5sfe_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ018QQite mZ280000779981QQrdZ1

The reason why i'm rushing this is because i have to get this car running. In my area, if the patrols spot my car in one spot too long, they usually write me a really fat ticket. I could just move it back and forth, but that's no fun.

I just got this car about a day now and now that i look at it, its pretty cool, except the previous, previous owner went rice and started painting the interior parts. DOH!

I have a friend who has a crashed 93 MR2 na. would that drop right in okay? I noticed how different the 91 na and the 93 na has different specs and even a different engine harness. Now exploring a bit here, what about the 3sge? The Natural aspirated with a little more pony? any one done that swap to the celica. I'm really only pushing towards NA right as of this moment due to what i mentioned above and the insane gas prices. I know next year i'll be going full 3sgte.

Thanks for reading.