PDA

View Full Version : Motor Engine Mounts, Fuel Filter, High RPM Question

90GTS
06-25-2006, 01:09 AM
I just got back from the mechanic where I took for timing belt, power steering belt, alt/AC belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, thermostat, cam seal, crank seal, valve cover gasket, spark plug seal, oil change. He also did according to the receipt bleed air from system, clean valve cover, added anti freeze. I ended up paying $545. I paid cash and was thinking use the tax $$ towards clutch work. Relieved that I got the timing belt and other stuff done.

Car's mileage is 117, 100 when I took it there.

Here's what he said. Timing belt has cracked (I think the sticker on engine states 54,000 mi. last changed coud barely read it). tensioner and idler still good (he replaced it since I already got the parts and mileage is high). No leaks. water pump and thermostat is ok. Now got this important stuff behind me.

One of his mechanic drove the car and said he didn't find the clutch slipping. He didn't test it on 5th gear since he has to get on the highway for that. The sound I'm referring to he said is more on broken mount problem and right rear suspension. I told him I have high RPM on 5th running 65 at 3600 - 3800. he said probably just bothered by that noise. They can do thorough test @ 80/hr. I did made an appt. for tues but now I'm thinking that I rather use the $$ of diagnostic for motor mount if that's the problem.

I also notice he didn't replace my fuel filter like I said. he said it's way too deep and doesn't want to risk damaging the fuel line. I guess he doesn't know how to do it?? he also didn't replace the PCV. I thought you replace this regularly like every other service. I got the fuel filter back but not PCV (didn't notice until I got home). If they damage the fuel line who's responsible for paying for the fuel line? he said i will be.

For motor mount where can I get the part (preferred oem if I can get them or do I have to go to Toyota). How many do I need and also how much are they. How long does it take to replace them and if it's complicated. I'm thinking of just taking this to that muffler warehouse in the bronx if it's not too long and complicated to install.

For the fuel filter can I just take this to toyota (just for fuel filter nothing else they charge $98/hr here in westchester). How long does it take to replace? If toyota breaks the fuel line who's responsible?

now for the RPM (I don't know if I'm just the sounds bothering me or comparing the rpm to my sister's 4runner and my brother's tahoe and van).
I didn't test or record on highway. Jot down what I got today.

A/C not turned on
RPM @ idle" 7000 - 7500

RPM @ 30 mph 3rd gear: 2000
RPM @ 35 mph 3rd gear: 2200 - 2400
RPM @ 35 mph 4th gear: 2000

I couldn't get it any faster since it's hard to drive while looking at the gauge and it's also raining hard. I didn't get a chance to go on the highway since it's really down pouring. Is the RPMs normal? Am I being bothered by the sound thinking I have clutch problem. Also I have poor gas mileage. If I take the hilly route with stop signs with couple of stoplights my full tank gas is 200-215 mi (no a/c or heat could go to 230-240) and if I take the stoplight route staight full tank gas is 250-260 mi (if no ac/heater could go to 275 -280).

Does the valve cover gasket and spark plug seal leak have anything to do with the poor gas mileage?

Thinking of cancelling the appt. and get that engine/motor mounts done. The noise is probably psychological thing to me. My brother told me to eliminate the noise first. I had the resonator change (big hole). Noise is still there.

alltracman78
06-25-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't really understand what you are trying to explain about the noise, so I'm going to skip it until you can explain it better [sorry :P].

You don't have a PCV valve.
You just have a hose.
The fuel filter isn't THAT bad to do.
They are probably used to cars with them on the underside...

As for who is responsible for damage.
Technically, if the line is damaged because the mech is trying to remove it the wrong way, they are responsible.
If it is damaged because the fitting is seized up, you are responsible.
That is ANY shop or anywhere you go...

BUT, it the real world, few shops will admit they made a mistake, so you will probably be responsible anyways....

As for how to do the fuel filter, go to the top of this forum, and look in the stickys.
There is a how to there.

Regarding the engine mount.
OEM IS Toyota.
You can buy one new, or get a used one online, or at a junkyard.

90GTS
06-25-2006, 02:02 AM
What I mean, is the noise I hear due to clutch or is it broken engine mount? The loud roar can be heard only inside the car. Is my rpm ok (base on above)?

I don't know much about cars. I thought that high rpm and loud noise is due to bad clutch. Leading to poor gas mileage.

I tried doing the fuel filter but I couldn't loosen the screw of the charcoal canister. Infact I broke one screw. Was too rusty.

alltracman78
06-25-2006, 02:06 AM
hm.
Well, than you might want to take it somewhere....

Noise like you are describing is definitly not the clutch.
Your rpms sound fine....
It sounds more like a wheel bearing.
Loud roar anyways.
But it's hard to tell over the interweb....

90GTS
06-25-2006, 04:03 AM
I had this noise couple of years now. had the brakes and rotor replace late summer last year. The guy who did the brakes didn't say anything about bearing. I also saw him turning the wheels several times after he finished installing pads and rotors.

The noise (roar,load rough loud humm not really sure how to describe it) could only be heard inside the car not outside. I told my sister it sounds like her 4runner is inside my car (sounds like that......similar noise but a little rough sounding). I told my sister I'd rather sit outside than inside the car. When on idle I could sometimes hear that noise. I hear it mostly when I'm moving and there are times it's real loud especially on high speed. The sound is coming from where the stereo is and more towards of the passenger side. I was thinking clutch bearing is the problem.

I thought when car vibrates the problem is engine mount. I don't think it vibrates. If ever the mounts are the problem, how long does it take to replace those mounts. How many are they? On the aftermarket sites I only see them selling front mount. I'll check if there's any junkyard nearby.

alltracman78
06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Is one of your speakers bad?
How does the blower motor work?
If you can't hear it outside the car, it pretty much rules out engine, exhaust, wheel bearings.
Definitly not clutch related.

90GTS
06-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't know how the blower motor works or when it turns on.
yeah can't hear it outside. I had the exahust fix coz my brother told me to eliminate sounds. He checked those sounds and could not tell because he said he's hearing different stuff and he told me before clutch seems fine to him. I always complain to him the high RPM and poor gas mileage after he tuned up the car. I was really thinking bad clutch bearing.

Here's what I got today. I drove on the parkway to check that sound since I really find it more annoying on high speed.

Drove the car at the parkway and found a big difference. It's not rough sounding now. Infact sound got finer and guess what, also big difference in RPM. 60 mph 5th gear RPM is now down to 2.8. Wow! NO roaring (like engine is having a hard time) sound now I could hear sort of fine vibration below where the stereo. Still loud but more refine. I tested with windows closed, stereo vol. turned down, A/C off. Have to see the gas mileage later on. I didn't get to 65 mph there was oncoming police car on the opposite side so I dropped my speed to 47. Speed limit is 40 mph.

Now could it definitely be motor mount like what the mechanic who test drove the car after fixing? How many are they? I only saw 2 (by the alt and below/front by radiator). Do I need to change all of them? How long to install this? These guys charged $80/hr. They also added my rear right suspension's bad. That I can tell.

Could it be the other sound is due to tmimng belt getting bad and high RPM due to valve cover gasket and spark plug seal leak. I'm guessing though. I still have to see the gas mileage.

alltracman78
06-26-2006, 01:32 AM
The roar could just be engine noise/car noise....
Like I said, it's hard to tell online. Especially when you are being vague..

If the water pump and/or tensioner was tightening up, it will take more power from your engine to turn.
So fixing that will give you more power at the wheels.

I would get the oil problem fixed also, on general principals.
Don't worry about the engine mounts [tecnically there is one engine mount, on the pass side, where you saw it, and 3 transmission mounts. One in front, one on the side, and one it back.].

I really don't know what to tell you on the noise.
You need to listen to it, and find out what general vicinity it is coming from.
Like I said, it could just be road noise.

ciento44
06-26-2006, 01:52 AM
So what did they do to fix those ridiculous rpms at 65?

90GTS
06-26-2006, 03:01 AM
So what did they do to fix those ridiculous rpms at 65?
I don't know. I just told them to replace a lot of stuff (see my first post). Could be timing belt related stuff or the valve leak and plug seal leak. Shop owner told me timing belt is really in bad shape (has cracks).

90GTS
06-26-2006, 03:40 AM
The roar could just be engine noise/car noise....
Like I said, it's hard to tell online. Especially when you are being vague..

If the water pump and/or tensioner was tightening up, it will take more power from your engine to turn.
So fixing that will give you more power at the wheels.

I would get the oil problem fixed also, on general principals.
Don't worry about the engine mounts [tecnically there is one engine mount, on the pass side, where you saw it, and 3 transmission mounts. One in front, one on the side, and one it back.].

I really don't know what to tell you on the noise.
You need to listen to it, and find out what general vicinity it is coming from.
Like I said, it could just be road noise.

When I drove the car today at the parkway, the roar noise is not there anymore is more on vibrating noise. The vibration can also be heard when gas I step on gas pedal on neutral. Noise is coming from down below and behind the radio.

Don't know if timing belt, idler, tensioner fix the roar sound. That's why they told me the noise they hear (after replacing the parts) is more of a broken motor mount and they also said that there's a noise on rear right suspension (I know that I have problems with rear suspension) . The high RPM issue I was telling them wasn't there when I drove this morning. They told me yesterday it ran fine on test drive. I guess something that was replaced fix it. I think that all those problems (noises, high RPM, poor gas mileage) just piled up at the same time and some got fix when some parts got replaced.

I still have to see about the gas mileage. I'm not a car techie. I wish I could explain this better.

Hopefully, oil problem's fixed. I had the valve cover gasket replaced and the plug seals.

I'm sort of relieved when I had the timing belt replaced especially when owner of the shop said belt has cracks and could break anytime.

Now, I have to find someone to replace the fuel filter. He doesn't want to do it.