PDA

View Full Version : The who, what when where and why of CelicaTech

Schmleff
12-02-2004, 08:01 PM
As a result of many inquiries, I have put together this short history of CelicaTech.com (or CelicaTech.net, both point here).

October, Admins and mods are instructed to enforce a few JB rules, Many people are not happy.

Early November, many c.net members, disgruntled over the new rules, create Toyota Underground. At just about the same time, Luni and Play say they have had enough of JB and c.net. Schmleff starts a message forum to host discussions of a new board. Play goes on vacation and gets married. Before he leaves he tells Luni "there better be a new celica site up by the time he gets back", just joking.

On that discussion board, about 25 mods and admins agree that we need to take control of our future. Luni has the webspace and the willingness to host and admin the site.

A general mission statement is discussed. Many names are thrown out and voted on. ChrisDís suggestion of CelicaTech is chosen, winning with double the votes as the next runner up, CelicaFiles.

Mid November, Donna has the php software. It is uploaded to a test site, which blows up twice as we learn it. Luni starts the final site at CelicaTech.com. Luniís friend Dave (Borinal as hes known on here), a PHP Master starts tweaking it into submission. Play returns from vacation to see it has been done and is floored that they actually did it.

28th of November, The limitations of a straight PHP site are realized. At this point, forums have been set up. Just waiting for graphics and a chance to set archives up. Dave works hard to overcome the limitations. Luni and Dave fall in love with the current software. Overnight, Dave and Luni shell out the money for the new softweare, Dave installs it, the admins set up the forums.

Last day of November, we are starting to post and set forums up. Waiting on graphics and a proper launch. Word of the site is leaking out (not that it was ever a hidden) on Toyota Underground. Since the site is public, people start lurking and joining.

At this point there was no turning back or hoping for a planned launch. Most of the admins and mods of c.net give up their modships, or quit entirely.

After 2 days, 105 members signed up. Graphics are not yet done but the forums are crawling with Celica Techs.

And that takes up to today, 12/2/2004

It has truly been a team effort from the start and will continue to be. Our focus is on the Celica, our strength is our community.

And the rest is yet to come!

johnL
12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
I would personally like to thank the Admins and my fellow mods for setting this site up. Its a breath of fresh air and has brought the joy of owning a celica back into my life. It brings a smile to my face to see so many celica owners here for one common goal. To make our celicas better. Thanks again for all the hard work. :)

John L.

Blackcloud
12-03-2004, 12:16 AM
cool

Playfortoday
12-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Jeff is not giving enough credit to the amount of hours he put in on all of this. The man was out of control and making me feel guilty cause he was so damn driven(no pun intended). And Luni and Dave have spent countless hours as well. Dave is Luni's pal that does not even own a Celica, but his obssession with messageboards was a huge plus for us. Dave did all this custom coding for free! And thanks to everyone else that helped us hammer out all the details during the intial phases. I too am very proud to own a celica, and my spirit and interest are as fresh now as they were back in the golden era of celica.net. Let's also thanks Nuke and Clayton and a couple of our old pal pioneers for coming back to us. Here's to CelicaTech.com!

emicen
12-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Indeed, celica board run by celica owners, finally it has arrived!

Incidentally, play has the best colour of alltrac ;)

Playfortoday
12-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Incidentally, play has the best colour of alltrac ;)

Damn skippy! w00t!

ibanezgfx
12-03-2004, 05:16 PM
its a nice site. i wasnt involved in the stuff that was happening with c.net, but i really do enjoy this site so far. keep up the good work!

emicen
12-03-2004, 05:22 PM
That last post should make more sense now my sig is in!

Something I noticed on cnet was that when play arrived he was really upbeat about what could be done and the future of the site, by the end he seemed just plain fucked off with the whole situation (just the impression I got from the posts).

Bottom line, I hope everyone appreciates the magic that could happen ehre with such celica driven people ate the helm.

Luni
12-03-2004, 05:25 PM
That last post should make more sense now my sig is in!

Something I noticed on cnet was that when play arrived he was really upbeat about what could be done and the future of the site, by the end he seemed just plain fucked off with the whole situation (just the impression I got from the posts).

Bottom line, I hope everyone appreciates the magic that could happen ehre with such celica driven people ate the helm.
It is because the attitude and crap he got from people that didnt want to leave their little comfort zones for the benefit of the community.

Thats pretty much it.

Well I left my comfort zone and built a much more comfortable zone I feel.

asmith
12-04-2004, 12:47 AM
It looks like this site is getting off to a great start! I too was a member of c.net, but I got turned off on it because people seemed to think that a higher post count was worth more than experience. I didn't post a lot so when I did post an opinion I was flamed. The fact that I drove a 4th gen celica for 8 years didn't mean anything apparently. I don't have a Celica now, but my RAV-4 has a 3S-GE engine in it and the same transmission as the All track (I think). Regardless, I love Celica's and hope that I can contribute and continue to learn about them even though I don't currently have one. I hope to have another one in the future.

Andrew

Schmleff
12-04-2004, 05:48 AM
It looks like this site is getting off to a great start! I too was a member of c.net, but I got turned off on it because people seemed to think that a higher post count was worth more than experience. I didn't post a lot so when I did post an opinion I was flamed. The fact that I drove a 4th gen celica for 8 years didn't mean anything apparently. I don't have a Celica now, but my RAV-4 has a 3S-GE engine in it and the same transmission as the All track (I think). Regardless, I love Celica's and hope that I can contribute and continue to learn about them even though I don't currently have one. I hope to have another one in the future.

Andrew

Welcome aboard Andrew. One of the changes to this site is that Off Topic posts do not count. If you want a higher post count, the person has to contribute to the base focus of the site, which is the celica.

TRDmkII
12-05-2004, 06:08 PM
i don't understand the obsession with post counts, i dont' try to reach a certain limit, if i feel i can contribute or if i have an opinion to a topic, i will post....but i guess some people cannot help themselves...lol, everyone should be considered equal and all opinions taken into consideration.

ronin
12-06-2004, 10:52 AM
hey play, you dont have to post so long anymore geezuz man! my eyes hurt thinking about reading that hahaha.
cliffs??

good job to all those that did take part in setting this up and getting it off the ground.

Playfortoday
12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
hey play, you dont have to post so long anymore geezuz man! my eyes hurt thinking about reading that hahaha.
cliffs??

good job to all those that did take part in setting this up and getting it off the ground.

Read it you lazy f00! Cliffnotes are for OT only. :thefinger

Luni
10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Moving this to the archives.