PDA

View Full Version : How to remove gas from your gas tank.

angryyoungnpoor
06-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Alright.. so I got some old ass(2 to 3 year old) gas in my swap car. I'm wondering how to get it out. I'd much rather not drop the tank. Does a hose type method work?

Any help would be... helpful.

GT4SOM
06-24-2006, 02:06 AM
you can syphon it out. Just get a hose run it to your tank and suck it out.

Cavanagh
06-24-2006, 08:31 AM
:mswerd: Just make sure you or someone you know can syphon for sure, lol don't wanna mess up on that!

6strngs
06-24-2006, 04:10 PM
yup, take a tube, stick one end in the gas tank, the other in your mouth, suck until you can taste that oh-so-delicious taste if gas, then quickly put that end of the hose into whatever you are putting the gas into

mmm... yummy ;)

angryyoungnpoor
06-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Mmm.. Sounds delish, especially since it's been sitting in there for about 2 or 3 years with no movement.

JDMjosh
06-24-2006, 09:13 PM
you can buy little hand pumps from hardware stores for like 5$.

but be warned, i tried it last week, and my Celica has a guard at the end of the gas tank, right before the tank itself to prevent you from doing it. it either bottle-necks and gets really really skinny, or there's a screen to prevent syphoning or drud falling into your tank.

but crawl underneath, your tank has a drain valve. just pry it off and drain the gas out. plug it back up.

wizzards581
06-25-2006, 01:18 AM
theres a drain plug...

JDMjosh
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
you can buy little hand pumps from hardware stores for like 5$.

but be warned, i tried it last week, and my Celica has a guard at the end of the gas tank, right before the tank itself to prevent you from doing it. it either bottle-necks and gets really really skinny, or there's a screen to prevent syphoning or drud falling into your tank.

but crawl underneath, your tank has a drain valve. just pry it off and drain the gas out. plug it back up.
mmhmm.

ty_44_69
06-27-2006, 12:07 AM
hmm a drain plug eh??? never heard of that one, and I've had my tank off twice.
It really isn't that hard to drop the tank, but if you don't want to do that then siphon it, you won't get it all but you should get a lot of it.
Use a clear tube so you can see the gas coming. Once you get a lot of it, disconnect the downspout from the back of the tank and put the hose in there w/ the aid of a clothes hanger so you can get as low in the tank as possible, keep the one end lower then the other and start sucking again.

Or you could just drop the tank....nvm I already said that....lol

Good luck

JDMjosh
06-27-2006, 02:47 AM
yeah. i know there is a drain plug for thse cars because i took my tank off to remove my sway bar and lowering springs/struts all on one piece (stab. links fused together) and i checked out my Hanes manual while doing it. and i remember seeing ' gas tank draing plug' in there somwhere

syphoning gas sucks. lol. even with a clear hose, you will probably get gas in your mouth the first time... LOL. bring water.

acidice333
06-27-2006, 02:51 AM
Yup there is a gas drain plug.. my Chiltons doesn't say where and my Haynes is in my car.

inbowns
06-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Funny you guys are talking about taking gas out of the tank, but did anyone think this is not something good to say now with the price of gas being so high maybe he wants a few gallons of gas for himself. Just a theory.

KoreanJoey
06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
2-3 year gas should be fine, just get some gas stabilizer... you'll be fine, just afterwards change your fuel filter after you put in a new tank of gas.

toyotatuner
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
alright dude....forget syphoning! that is just horrible. take the time and run to ur local parts store and get the hand pump. so save time just take out the back seat and go through where the fuel pump goes. that to me would be the easier route and not have to worry about anything. for water...sea foam will do amazing stuff.

lets just hope he's not stealin gas. *crosses fingers*

Rio_Cyber
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
just #"$#"$% lay under the car, and unbolt that alen bolt on the tank a drain gas.. :)

GT4SOM
06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I had about 1/4 tank of 87 octane after I swapped, I let the engine idle for about 15 min and I could hear it detonate lol. after 15 min I just drove to the nearest gas pump and filled up on 93. I don't know about 2-3 year old fuel. :-/

GRUMPY514
06-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Garden hose and a little sucking and its out.

I saw somebody steal another persons gas that way....how sad.

JDMjosh
06-29-2006, 06:37 AM
yea. garden hoses are wack cause you get gas in your mouth almost guaranteed...

been alota places.. done alota things.. and karma's a bitch.

GRUMPY514
06-30-2006, 01:01 AM
lol gasoline wont hurt you just taste like poop.

:)

JDMjosh
06-30-2006, 01:23 AM
precisely.. rubbing alcohol and poop. makes your nose run.. plus you'd smell like a homeless dude...