PDA

View Full Version : recirculting bov

hazee
06-22-2006, 12:06 AM
just bought a 1991 carlos sainz gt4 and am thinkin of setting up a re circulating bov/ dump valve,,,, has anybody else done this,,, any recomendations on which re-circ bov to use

cheers

Lagos
06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
hks or the OEM toyota one.

the hardest part will be making an intake that has a port for the recirc and still fits in your engine bay without relocating the battery.

burnyd
06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
just bought a 1991 carlos sainz gt4 and am thinkin of setting up a re circulating bov/ dump valve,,,, has anybody else done this,,, any recomendations on which re-circ bov to use

cheers

On a stock Top mount or on a front mount? Its pretty simple with the More common BOV And he car runs so much better recirculating. lets say for example you have a Greddy BOV. Go to a parts store find a hose to go over the horn and just recirculate it through the intake. I have found a ton of turbo cars to run so much better with a recirculation other than BOV.

hazee
06-22-2006, 12:49 AM
still all stock with top mounted ic thinkin of using t piece samco hose between turbo and ic then recirc back to intake after the air flow meter some how havent looked at it properly yet

alltracman78
06-22-2006, 04:26 AM
I take it you are in Europe somewhere.
Get a dump valve from www.fensport.co.uk
It works totally fine with your AFM.
I have one on my ST185. Runs great.
And sounds sick...

alltracman78
06-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Crap, I forgot.
You dont' have somewhere to mount the dump valve on the ic.
And it's hard to weld on a wta ic....

You could also get the Blitz kit.
It has a different turbo to ic hose....

tealterror
06-23-2006, 02:13 PM
what is advantage of recirculating bov ? if any ?

Snafu
06-23-2006, 06:33 PM
what is advantage of recirculating bov ? if any ?

Think of this-

The air that comes in (before the turbo) is measured by the MAF. A signal is sent to the ECU to provide the appropiate fueling for the air charge. Now, when the BOV gets vacuum (let off throttle), it opens, thus releasing the charge. The only problem is that the ECU is still going to throw a bunch of fuel in, even though the charge has exited via the BOV. Recirculating just keeps the air in the system, so you don't have any extremely rich conditions.

joe's gt
06-29-2006, 12:53 AM
i have hks ssqv vented. runs pretty much perfect. slight bog on cold starts, but in a minute or two car seems to run perfect. but yeah, recirc is definately better. i personally like the sound and like to watch the heads turn. i don't race or anything, so i don't need the maximum possible performance. to me, the car is still friggin fast even with it vented. if u really care about having it perform to its maximum potential tho, go with recirc.

alltracman78
06-29-2006, 02:10 AM
If you have the right dump valve, the only thing that happens is
1-nice fat backfire when you shift hard. :D
2-if you drive steady [not acceleration] at high rpms [4k or so] it will stumble a bit.

GETRDONE
06-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Would it be all that dangerous if it runs very rich? also, wont it only be for a very short period of time?

hazee
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
any way still thinkin of gettin a recirculating valve have been looking at a forge or blitz piston valve i.e or similar to this one http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMDV006
planning on just plumbing it in, but couldnt the spring in the valve be too stong so wouldn t open valve etc..... how do you know whats right....:luvydunno

other option is going for the cheaper option of a recirc valve made by bosch (usually of a saab) which uses a diapghram but seems to work well on a mk3 supra we ve got..

Punisher
07-07-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm going recirc. myself.. Probably using a Forge..

BOV is nothing but a pretty whistle and it really just wastes potential energy.

G-man
07-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I just went recirculating with a Greddy BOV. Good results - no more backfires, no more black clouds of smoke, better response off shifts. Also, no BOV noise so the ricers might want to think twice about it :hehe:

Lagos
07-08-2006, 04:27 AM
I just went recirculating with a Greddy BOV. Good results - no more backfires, no more black clouds of smoke, better response off shifts. Also, no BOV noise so the ricers might want to think twice about it :hehe:

can you post pics of the setup? did they end up making you a custom intake ?

ChrisD
07-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm using a Bailey DV30. A lot of skeptics on this one, although it has worked very well for me. I welded a pipe onto the IC inlet and sent it directly into a straight intake.

Right now I'm changing to vented to atmosphere because I am going standalone.

But here's how it was set up:

http://www.gtfour.ca/DSC01901-1.JPG

G-man
07-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Here are some pics of my set-up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/jgreening/IMG_1487.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/jgreening/IMG_1490.jpg

burnyd
07-16-2006, 04:32 PM
thats pretty cool... WHen I did mine I just had the rad hose setup heh.... But yours is definately very nice.

steve pattison
08-14-2006, 06:54 PM
hi can you please show a pic of which vacume hose you use to activate the dump valve thanks

bloodredgt
08-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Any 5sfte people running a recirculated BOV?