PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning

inbowns
06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I have a 1991 Celica GTS with auto climate control as the days got hotter I want to use me A/C but it doesn't come on. I push the button marked A/C and it only lights up the compressor does not engage. I check the system and it appears to have freon in it. So my guess is somewhere in the car there must be a blown fuse or relay. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideal on what could be done to fix it. Also if anyone has wiring wiring diagram or can tell me where is the fuse for the A/C I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

Luis C
06-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe the magnetic clutch is busted and thats why the compressor isnt engaging. Start the engine and have someone turn the A/C while ON while looking at the A/C compressor, if you dont see the metal plate move on the pully then A)Magnetic clutch is busted B) No power to the compressor

inbowns
06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Do you know where there's a fuse. If not i'll use my voltmeter to see what i'm getting.

Luis C
06-20-2006, 04:30 PM
You are looking for a relay not a fuse. I have not seen any A/C fuse but there are about 2 to relays for the aircon system

Playfortoday
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
From my personal experience on my 92 ST185, the AC light flashed due to the clutch not engaging. The ground on the compressor housing was ripped out of the ring connctor by my old(no longer employed by me) mechanic.

The BGB has a troubleshooting table. Hopefully it is the first manual that works here on the site. Let me check...

Playfortoday
06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
This is for the 93, but I am not aware of any major differences between 90/91 and 92/93 AC systems. The whole document walk you through troubleshooting the system. The easiest way is to check the syptom/diagnosis table that starts on the bottom of page three.

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/93tech/AC_SYSTE.PDF

I hope this helps. That will be five dollars please.:D

alltracman78
06-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Normally if the ac doesn't work it's either a leak/low gas or a bad compressor.
When you turn it on-
Does the idle raise?
Does the light on the switch flash?

Luis C
06-21-2006, 05:08 AM
When you turn it on-
Does the idle raise?
Does the light on the switch flash?

Depends... there is something busted in my car and when the A/C is on the idle does no raise but its still cold :D

BTW... any news on my shizz Jeremy?

alltracman78
06-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Your ISC isn't working Luis. :)
Yes, I am waiting for the last part.
I hope.... I gave him my shipping address today.

Luis C
06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
If the ISC is the black thing with a giant spring loaded screw in it and that's connected to maybe half a dozen vacuum hoses then I'm deep doo doo... asked the steelership for a quote abouth 4 months ago and got something like $200, price must have gone up about a 15% by now :(
If you have one laying around I'll gladly take it :D

alltracman78
06-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I'll see if I have an extra.
If I do, I'll add it in.

However, that is not the ISC valve.
That is under the TB. It's yellowish.

Luis C
06-21-2006, 05:58 PM
The only yellowish thing I've seen under the TB is a connector whose 4 wires are brittle, shared and about to snap if you stare at it in a nasty way :P Is that the culprit?

Edit: Found it on the EPC and it looks expensive, I dont think I can find a generic part for that so I guess I might have to hand a kidney and a cornea to the stealership for it

COLDAX
06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a 1991 Celica GTS with auto climate control as the days got hotter I want to use me A/C but it doesn't come on. I push the button marked A/C and it only lights up the compressor does not engage. I check the system and it appears to have freon in it. So my guess is somewhere in the car there must be a blown fuse or relay. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideal on what could be done to fix it. Also if anyone has wiring wiring diagram or can tell me where is the fuse for the A/C I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance

The system won't engage if you have low refrigerant levels as a safety measure. You should check the pressure level in the system and refill if needed.

alltracman78
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
The only yellowish thing I've seen under the TB is a connector whose 4 wires are brittle, shared and about to snap if you stare at it in a nasty way :P Is that the culprit?

Edit: Found it on the EPC and it looks expensive, I dont think I can find a generic part for that so I guess I might have to hand a kidney and a cornea to the stealership for it
Yep, that be her.

Shoot me a pic.
I have several.
I'll stick it in the box. :)

Coldax, if the light is staying on, it's most likely not the pressure. In that case it should turn off.

Luis C
06-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Just called the stealership... Two kidneys and the cornea will do ($350) :ugh:
Accepting donnations as of now

Luis C
06-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Low/high pressure would desenage the compressor and make the light blink but since he said that the light on the button is on, my educated guess is that the magnetic clutch is not getting any power thus not engaging.

Jeremy, pic coming in a few minutes via PM

inbowns
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Fellas the Air condition button doesn't blink inside the car it's a solid green. My guess is it could be the relay, becuse it doesn't even attempt to engage itself.

MCcelica
06-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong (which is usually the case) but if the compressor isn't getting power the switch won't light up at all. I'd check that relay.

inbowns
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
OK latest update I took off the little black cover on the relay and i force the compressor to come on, but still it's not blowing cold. my only guess is it's low on freon but i didn't get a blinking A/C light and I didn't get any cold air. I guess next move is to buy a new relay and see if it allows the compressor to turn on and do it's thing. Any ideals?

Playfortoday
06-22-2006, 11:57 PM
If the compressor turned on(i.e. compressor clutch engaged) and you did not get a flashing light, and it did not even get slighty cold, it is empty freon, water in the system, pressure switch, or bad evaporator. The clutch or rpm sensor create a flahing light. Not sure if anything else does.

aballz
06-23-2006, 04:24 AM
My A/C knowledge is limited but what if the AC light turns on (no blinking or anything) but no cold air and no rpm increase? Does that equal bad compressor, bad clutch, no freon, or bad everything?

Playfortoday
06-23-2006, 02:19 PM
My A/C knowledge is limited but what if the AC light turns on (no blinking or anything) but no cold air and no rpm increase? Does that equal bad compressor, bad clutch, no freon, or bad everything?

The easiest way is to check the syptom/diagnosis table that starts on the bottom of page three.

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/93tech/AC_SYSTE.PDF

The link doesn't include flashing light indication, and I am not sure if the BGB does either. Just using the trouble table in the link I gave you before. If gives you everything you need to narrow it down. I received a blinking light when my compressor clutch could not engage due to a missing ground. Eventhing else worked fine in the system, even the engine idle up (a/c vsv).

This won't help much, but it will give you an idea of how minute a problem might be. I had a mechanic do a new short block put in by someone I would never use again in my life(actually, I will be doing every bit of my major work even if it takes me 6 months from now on. I still find little issues from stuff he fudged or misplaced two years later.) Basically I was taking advantage of a labor swap via my audio shop his his mechanics shop. He some how ripped the a/c magnetic clutch grounf wire from the ring terminal that screws into the top of the a/c compressor. I trouble-shat (lol) my a/c for hours, even with some really talented dudes on here helping me via my cellphone. It was not until alltracman78 came out to my how to help me work on my car that we found the wire was ripped out. It was impossble to guess/see without the alternator removed. When testing the magnetic clutch before we found the wire, it owuld engage just fine. Why? Because when you jump the pins in the clutch plug, it pulls ground through that, thus bypassing the fact that I was missing a ground. We actually moved on to swap the alternator after giving up on the a/c to come back to it later on. When the alternator was out, there it was. God dammit! Here is a useless picture of the new bright red groud wire I installed. Red stands for victoriously killing the culprit. You can barely see it next to the left side of the O2 sensor bung.:D
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/IMG_1947.jpg

inbowns
06-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Well I went to the shop to check out how much would it cost to fill it back up and check for leaks and the R-12 is history, but they will retro fit my car for $179 and $35 for the kit. Is this a good price. Also what do the do with the kit. I mean what do they change?

Playfortoday
06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
The change the R12 to R134a
They change the oil to Ester oil
They cahnge the gaskets since the new stuff will eat the seals away
They use new Hi/Low side plugs

Make sure you go to a reputable place, because if it is not done right, r12 residuals can combine with the r134a to make an acid that hurts the components. Also, if the oil oil meets new, it gets sludgy.

aballz
03-17-2007, 04:09 AM
I decided not to make a new thread since this one is similar to the new problem i have. Today after a minor tune up, my friend and i attempted to troubleshoot my AC problems. Before, my AC light would turn on when i pressed it but air doesn't get colder or anything nor does the RPM increase when engaged. Today we tried to refill the freon through the passenger side "valve thing" (sorry for the lack of technical word). The refill can was some kind of universal r134 can i think that said it could work with the older r12 system. Now the new problem is when i turn on the AC, the light goes on and stays constant for a few seconds, then starts to blink. Also the RPM also increases up when i initially engage the AC(while the light is still constant). But drops to normal levels when it starts to blink. After reading this thread I'm worried about this new freon that i put in my car would start disintegrating my compressor internals. The good news is i guess i found out my compressor still works. The links above involve tools that i don't have so i can't troubleshoot it like it says. Any input is welcomed. Thanks!