PDA

View Full Version : ST185 or SW20 Clip?

T1M
06-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I currently own a 92 GT with all the bells and wistles and I'm investing in a swap in October. I was just wondering which would be more practical, the ST185 since it's a Celica front end - all I should have to do is transplant everything (except the tranny). OR should I go with the MR2 Rear clip, because it has in it the MR2T Tranny. I'm under the impression that the AWD Transmission will not work with FWD. So if I have to get the MR2T Tranny anyway, why not just get a rear clip? Which would be more practical and cost conservative? Any input would me much appreciated. Thanks! :bigthumbu

ciento44
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM
You can convert the awd tranny to FWD, there's a writeup on here somewhere. Personally, i would just go with the ST185 clip, and use your stock tranny for now, and if you feel like you need better, then get a late MR2T tranny later.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11171&page=1&pp=45&highlight=transmission+ratios

Lagos
06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
mr2 clip will be a major pain in the ass. i would not recomend it to a first time swaper.

get the st185 clip, and youll have a smooth swap.

trying to convert the awd tranny to fwd, is not at all easy. i wouldnt recomend it. instead, just use your stock GT tranny. it will work just fine.

Luni
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
AWD tranny to FWD conversion isnt hard and it yields a MUCH stronger drivetrain. You just need a few parts from an E153.

wrongboy
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
How many s52's did Sean go trough? I would search the forums for the tranny debate which still rages on...

-wrongboy

burnyd
06-19-2006, 07:38 PM
AWD tranny to FWD conversion isnt hard and it yields a MUCH stronger drivetrain. You just need a few parts from an E153.

Change the differential. If you pull off the transfer case its only going to put 50% power down to the front wheels.

Go with a st185 clip as it has everything you need to swap over. I wouldnt suggest a sw20 clip.

TEAMFaint
06-19-2006, 08:43 PM
If you need a tranny hunt around for a S54. 1sloceli picked one up for a stellar price and I do believe its been workin fine for him.

T1M
06-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Nice, I think I'll go for the ST185, but it is true it will only put 50% power down to the front wheels? I would love to use my stock tranny - BUT it's an AUTOMATIC. Besides, Xeril came to my house a few months ago to pick up a hood and his stock tranny on the 3S blew out like 2 of his gears. But if I can use the AWD Tranny effectively, I'd love to. Thanks again for the info.