PDA

View Full Version : REALLY dumb question but...

convertiblechick
06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Is the a/c unit part of the engine? Like if my engine comes out, does the a/c too?
I hope so or i'll hafta 86 this unit. It never works. A new compressor went into it, dye to check for leaks, and most of the time it's hot! Not warm. And the engine isn't overheating.
Duh,I should go back to being a blonde. :lolhittin

alltracman78
06-18-2006, 11:16 PM
The ac compressor bolts to the engine.
If you remove your engine, you can leave the compressor on it.
But you don't have to. Usually if one removes the engine, they disconnect the compressor from the engine block first, so they don't have to open the ac lines and lose the refridgerant.
If you buy a rebuilt/remanufactured engine, the compressor will not come with it.

Was anything else changed besides the compressor?

convertiblechick
06-19-2006, 01:17 AM
no. After I thought about it, it might be the condenser.

burnyd
06-19-2006, 05:32 AM
^^Pics or ban.... of you of course :D

aballz
06-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Don't mean to steal the thread but is the compressor pretty easy to install if i just buy the part?

burnyd
06-19-2006, 07:00 AM
yes....... Im not sure if the compressor is different in a 5th gen than it is in a alltrac. When I did my swap I couldnt get the compressor to work right with the motor. So I had to take the ST185 one and it works... So it could be different on a 5th gen not sure.

aballz
06-19-2006, 07:49 AM
I think the previous owner didn't use the AC much and the compressor just broke down from non usage. So i'm thinking of replacing it...anyone else have other input?

toyotatuner
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
when i did my engine removal...the a/c compressor on my mine was a pain the ace! i ended up just leaving it in the engine bay suspended by a close hanger. :hehe: soooo uhhh...i remember lookin at it tryin to figure out how to remove it and just didn't see it. who knows. luckly for me i already have blonde hair.