PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads??????????

3sgte@daspeedof
01-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between organic, ceramic, and semi metalic brake pads. What would be best for my car. A 1992 Toyota Celica.

Quotes I've received from one company;
Ceramic
Front $50
Rear $54

Organic
Front $35.50
Rear $38.60

PVR - Semi Metalic
Front $42
Rear $47

Adrian Avgerinos
01-11-2005, 09:05 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!111!! TOO MANY QUESTION MARKS!!!111!!

Organic: Stock. Works fine
Ceramic: Reduces Brake Dust. Works fine
Semi-Metallic: Increased Brake Dust, Increase Rotor Wear, Increased Noise, Increased Brake Torque and Reduced Pad Fade. Works well.

Doc
01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
EBC Green Stuf (at www.tirerack.com for $50)
- kevlar/metalic mix
- virtually no brake dust
- high coefficient of friction
- softer material so less rotor wear
- resistant to over 1000* farhenheit to virtually eliminate fade

;) I've got them and love them.

3sgte@daspeedof
01-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Which one has the least amount of brake noise

Jigglypuff
01-12-2005, 12:22 AM
EBC Green Stuf (at www.tirerack.com for $50)
- kevlar/metalic mix
- virtually no brake dust
- high coefficient of friction
- softer material so less rotor wear
- resistant to over 1000* farhenheit to virtually eliminate fade

;) I've got them and love them.I thought EBC Greens were rotor eaters?

Which one has the least amount of brake noiseOrganic pads are the most quite. However, they will generally create a a lot of brake dust.

Fox-N-It
01-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Mintex Red box have never treated me wrong. Low dust too.

Doc
01-12-2005, 02:08 AM
I thought EBC Greens were rotor eaters?

Not really. They're not recommended for frequent hard racing or heavier cars, however.

Worst i've heard about them is their wear and heat problems leading to other things.

Seems the softer material does wear out a bit faster than some other pads but most of these people were also complaining about lots of brake dust, which could possibly mean they may have used them on track or on heavier cars.

Also, since the pad has such a high amount of kevlar, the pads act more as a heat insulator than a conductor, causing higher rotor temperatures. Some people have said their rotors were warped due to this but most of the time some of the pad material simply adhered to the rotor surface instead of dusting off. Probably nothing some hard brakeing wouldn't clear up, though.

For me and my driving habits, I feel these pads are a good fit. And i'm very happy with them so far (around 1500 miles)

Always pays off to do your research. :bigthumbu

Littleoldlady
01-16-2005, 04:24 PM
I use EBC Greenstuff for road driving as they are grippier than OE pads and very low dust. On my track car I use EBC redstuff ceramic as these do not need any warm up time and can stand the car on its nose!

TRDmkII
01-16-2005, 07:51 PM
my father uses the ebc green stuff on his supra and says it leaves a really funky film thats hard to clean off the wheels...you have any issues with the same thing?...however he does say they stop on a dime.

85gtsblackman
01-17-2005, 12:09 AM
yeah when i get paid and after i buy my tools i need for work if i have enough money left over im gonna get a set of ebc greens for the front.