PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

Adam
01-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Okay, i have a 91 gt, i have a 10 in sub and a 350 watt amp. My battery died yesterday and i know its cause of the amp, i knew i should have put a capacitor with the amp, but i was too cheap, and now i have to buy a new battery. Anywyas, what type of battery should i buy that would not have trouble running this tiny amp? Im going to go out and buy a cap within the week also, so should i even bother buying a stronger battery? The quicker the response, the better. Thanks.

david in germany
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Unless you are continuosly listening to the stereo with the car off your battery is probably just old. The cap will mainly assist with the car running not with the car off not while just sitting with the engine off. I personaly have an Optima Redtop and love it. Optima are said to take more discharge and recharge cycles than normal batterys do so as a recomendation I would stick with them.
Good luck.
David

Hooligan
01-12-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm going to send this to the electrical/audio forum as I'm sure there are more people there who are knowledgable in this field and they can field your question better.

Blackcloud
01-12-2005, 01:38 AM
well for one you wont need a cap with a 350w amp.

i would get a optima yellow top. and you should NEVER EVER run your system with out the motor running. all you do is ask for trouble when you do

Punisher
01-12-2005, 07:37 AM
heh.. Just get a battery with a good replacement warranty :)

Ahh.. I put a fuckni truck battery in my corolla.. 970CCA @ 32F and 750CCA @ 0F... top that. LOL.

Although, I have a feeling that because the alt was only like 60amp that it caused the car to idle poorly.. The only conclusion I've been able to come up with on the bad idle since I've been around the block on trying to fix it. Battery was a big fucker. So yea.. maybe get another battery that fits in the same approx. size dimensions but has a little more juice.. or one of those deep cycle batteries like the Optima's.

Adam
01-12-2005, 05:39 PM
yah, so i didnt really have the 180 bucks to spend on a battery, so i opted for the cheaper one, 50 bucks to be exact. The battery was like 6 years old so im guessing that amp probably just killed it. I never run the stereo unless the car is on, i know better. But yah, it has a 2 year warranty on it, full replacement the guy said, so if it goes bad than ill just go exchange it. They tested my old one and it was pumping out 12v when it was supposed to be at 15, he said i could keep usign it, but it wouldnt last that much longer, and i figured with winter still being a couple more months, i might as well get it fixed now and avoid getting stranded somewhere. thanks for the help though.

Blackcloud
01-13-2005, 05:25 AM
run 4awg straight from the alt to the batt.. you will notice some serious voltage jumps by upgrading all your wires :thumbsup:

elektrateq
01-13-2005, 08:38 AM
I heard running a ground battery to alternator was bullshit, but i keep hearin about people doin it. Do alot of people do this? Any problems?

RubberDuckie
01-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Ahh.. I put a fuckni truck battery in my corolla.. 970CCA @ 32F and 750CCA @ 0F... top that. LOL.

Top that? Noooo problem!
Here's whats under my hood:
# Cranking Amps- 1125
# Cold Cranking Amps- 900
# Reserve- 155
# Dimensions are 12.7"x 6.5"x 9.4"
# Weight is approx. 59.8 lbs.

http://www.tna-sports.com/prod_images/d31m.JPG

RubberDuckie
01-13-2005, 10:19 AM
run 4awg straight from the alt to the batt.. you will notice some serious voltage jumps by upgrading all your wires :thumbsup:
When I did this, my voltaged steadyed out more during SPL burps. Your know your drawing a shit load of power when you do one burp from your stereo, and your car bogs down like you just kicked on your AC.
Bottom line its a great idea!

Blackcloud
01-13-2005, 01:08 PM
When I did this, my voltaged steadyed out more during SPL burps. Your know your drawing a shit load of power when you do one burp from your stereo, and your car bogs down like you just kicked on your AC.
Bottom line its a great idea!

true dat brother. i did it because i got tired of droping bellow 10v every time the thing would thump. :laugh:

Blackcloud
01-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I heard running a ground battery to alternator was bullshit, but i keep hearin about people doin it. Do alot of people do this? Any problems?

a ground battery to the alternator

:confused:

david in germany
01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
a ground battery to the alternator

:confused:
Probably talking about to the alternator bracket as a cleaner ground.
David

Blackcloud
01-14-2005, 12:56 AM
im gonna say its not any better then the stock ground