PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate/Boost Controller Question

EvilSpeeder
01-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to hook some stuff up and I'm confused....

Everything in the below diagram makes sense to me except the thing labeled 'vent' in the line from the boost controller bleed to the top port in the wastegate. Can somebody please explain this to me. Thanks.

http://www.tialsport.com/images/WG_Install_Diagram.gif

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 08:38 PM
seems that that is where bleed would occur, but i havent got a clue what set up that is.

looks nothing like 3sGTE

Snafu
01-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I agree.

EvilSpeeder
01-11-2005, 10:07 PM
So if thats a bleed, what is the point of having the two connected in the first place??

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
i think basically, you could fit a bleed vlave there, or a relief valve/manual boost controller or just vent ti to atmosphere, it wont be a full dump like a bov, just a little bleed imho.

what set up is that mate as it aint 3sgte..

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
or, of course, i could well be waffling crap..

EvilSpeeder
01-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Its just a generic external wastegate and boost controller. The pic is from Tial's website. I'll be running a Tial wastegate and TurboXS boost controller on my 7A.

Conrad_Turbo
01-12-2005, 02:17 AM
It's due to that manual air regulator that is in the system, that's the point of the bleed. That regulator is equivalent to say a MBC or an EBC, you need a bleed after it. Say with a MBC you reach full boost the ball comes off the seat and the wastegate opens to bleed off exhaust gasses (thus maintaining boost). Now you lift off the throttle and slow down, the ball seats itself back in the mbc which would still leave residing air pressure (when previously under boost) on the wastegate thus leaving it stuck open all the time. It just allows the wastgate to bleed off that pressure so the wastegate can close back up.

It's equivalent to putting a 1/32 hole in a MBC to allow the air to bleed off (doesn't change the boost level really...).