PDA

View Full Version : WHAT is THIS please help.

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 06:44 PM
JDM 185.

I now know what it is.

http://www.gt4oc.net/download.php?id=4192

what does it do. mine has the bottom vacuum pipe snapped off and the green connector is hanging loose.

i know its the turbo VSV, but i need to know what it can cause, i.e. damage, vacuum leaks etc..

Could this have been caused by a duff clutch change as this was done in november by a recovery garage whilst on my hols.

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 08:34 PM
anyone?

Sean
01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
search this forum, i wrote up a decent explanation about the role of the VSV.

snyder
01-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Check this site out. Its helped me a great deal:

http://member.newsguy.com/~gtfour/technicl.htm#Turbo

Luni
01-12-2005, 12:59 AM
That VSV is what is responsible for allowing more than 7 PSI of boost ont he stock system. It is a stock bleeder type boost controller. If certain conditions are met, it opens up allowing air to be bled off from the wastegate actuator, thus taking longer for it to open, thus allowing more boost. If the tube coming from the actuator that goes into it is broken or open it will just allow you to boost higher all the time. It also causes a boost leak and a rich condition. If the tube that goes from the VSV to the intake manifold is broken, it will allow you to boost higher when the VSV is engaged, and when the VSV is engaged it will again lead to a rich state. Either way its not good, you should either fix it and reconnect it, or just bypass it completely by just plugging the vacuum hose at the wastegate end, and plugging the hose at the VSV end coming out to the manifold. Thats what youre supposed to do if you install a Electronic Boost Controller anyway.

carlosfandango
01-12-2005, 01:19 AM
cheers chaps, all understood now.

Blackcloud
01-12-2005, 04:38 AM
looks like a pretty bad case of genital warts to me...

:ugh:

Lagos
01-12-2005, 04:38 AM
wow..hang on... the pic he posted is of the tvis system not the tvsv (easy to confuse).

it basically gives you more power after 4k rpm. check the archives for a detailed write up of how the system works.

Sean
01-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Thats both the TVIS, and the TVSV.

carlosfandango
01-12-2005, 11:50 PM
it aint tvis, its the rev 2 3SGTE efi at the back of the block, but anyhow, i'm all sorted chaps, ta for the info.

now for my next trick - watch out