PDA

View Full Version : code 52 - where is knock sensor?

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 02:49 PM
please give me a fool proof guide to the location, jdm st185 thanks.

just noticed too, my car has 211,000 kilometers on the clock.. :bigthumbu

snyder
01-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Hello. The knock sensor is located on the back of the block. Its dead center and its gray. Good luck getting to it without taking a lot apart.

Thanks,

Chris

Mr E
01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Erm, are you sure 52 is a knock issue mate?

Might be on a 185 I supposed. I though 52 was the classic 'low IC fluid' on a Faff.

Luni
01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
52 is knock sensor.

It is located on the back of the engine, underneath the intake manifold. Its not that bad to get to.

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
as per http://www.gtfours.co.uk

52 - KNK Open or short circuit in Knock Sensor Check for broken/brittle wire, check sensor correctly torqued up, check sensor terminal not covered with oil/shorted out, replace sensor, shake sensor - it shouldn't rattle!

the green connector at the back of the sensotr is hanging loose, trtying like mad to get to it, cant reach, can get my hand all the way to the bottom but cant get my fingers to the back of the sensor.

Mr E
01-11-2005, 05:38 PM
They changed the codes on the Faff then. That's handy. Lets make it even more confusing......

:)

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 06:23 PM
yes bud..

well - i whipped off the wheel and got my hand through the hole, with a inspection lamp i noticed a vacuum pipe without a hose - so thats the mysterious vacuum pipe then - so, i looked at the CS engine i got sitting on a palet and realised a hose should be on this pipe, going to the pipe on the bottom of the knock sensor - further investigation found 185's knock sensor has this bottom vacuum pipe snapped off.

is this why it is disconnected?

I cant work it out, the engine was swapped in by ian smith of toyauto centre in may last year. could it have been snapped off and left disconnected then?

i cant get to the sensor to remove it as is, i can swap the other over, any advice?.

ChrisD
01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
The knock sensor does not have a vacuum hose going to it. You could be seeing the TVIS diaphragm, which is close to it. The knock sensor is screwed into the block, and has a single wire going to it.

Playfortoday
01-11-2005, 07:16 PM
The knock sensor does not have a vacuum hose going to it. You could be seeing the TVIS diaphragm, which is close to it. The knock sensor is screwed into the block, and has a single wire going to it.

Holy crap, glad to hear it, cause I didn't know about this either and it scared the crap out of me for a sec :hehe: .

carlosfandango
01-11-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah, i now know its the turbo VSV that has a snapped bottom male vacuum pipe and disconnected plug..

but i still got code 52 and i cant reach the damn knock sensor..

Keyroo
03-20-2005, 08:27 AM
hey guys i got hte same code today, blew the sensor whle running a mate,

got a spare one on my spare block, just double checking that tis' teh right one

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~keyroo/photos/DSCN2822.JPG

Matty

ChrisD
03-20-2005, 08:33 AM
yeah dude you got it. :)

http://www.gtfour.ca/DSC01275-1.JPG

Keyroo
03-20-2005, 01:13 PM
what a slut eh :P hey is it cool to drive around for a while with that thing fucked? coz i might aswell spend a few good hours doing it and fix my oil leak while i'm at it

and while we are on the topic can anyone give me a run down on the knock sensor, how it works, what it does ect, i havenlt had much experience with it before

thanks

Matty

91CelicaGT13
03-20-2005, 05:24 PM
The knock sensor protects the engine from destructive engine knock by retarding the timing upon detection of knock, and also controls timing advance.

Mike431635
03-20-2005, 06:22 PM
How it works: senses engine vibrations, finds oddities (knock), sends signal to ECU.

ChrisD
03-20-2005, 07:39 PM
what a slut eh :P hey is it cool to drive around for a while with that thing fucked? coz i might aswell spend a few good hours doing it and fix my oil leak while i'm at it

and while we are on the topic can anyone give me a run down on the knock sensor, how it works, what it does ect, i havenlt had much experience with it before

thanks

Matty

Driving with it blown *can* be safe if you are very careful. Basically what it does is sense engine noise, and sends the signal back to the ECU. The ECU determines if it considers the noise knock or not, and if it is, it retards the timing to try to save the engine. This feels like the car is being "pulled back", or like it isn't accelerating very good.

Now if the sensor is blown, the ECU might retard timing constantly and you'd be feeling the knock response a lot. This causes EGT's to go really high. Either that or the ECU does nothing, in which case, you are running without the safety of the knock sensor.

Basically, if you want to run the car with it blown, just take it easy. No WOT runs at boost or anything and you'll be fine. :)

Keyroo
03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
sweet thanks man, coz i've got a day off on friday i might aswell fix the knock sensor and find my oil leak at the same time, i;ll just drive like a grandma for a week :P

Keyroo
03-21-2005, 08:38 AM
ok all done, did it this arvo, what a slut to get to, the old one was rooted, all coroded, my arm is bruised so bad from having it down teh back of the engine, pissed me off, stupid gt-4,,,

anyway all fixed now, thanks for the help guys