PDA

View Full Version : buffers?

Blackcloud
06-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Im tired of hand waxing.

Any good buffers out there?

FWD88GT
06-09-2006, 04:16 AM
I would like to get a buffer too. I bet the shine would come out alot better with a buffer. But I was told that if you don't know how to use a buffer you will screw up your paint.

Blackcloud
06-09-2006, 04:22 AM
ive heard the same thing.

but im guessing you can also screw it up by hand buffing it wrong....... Just not as fast :hehe:

Blackcloud
06-09-2006, 04:26 AM
ive heard good things about thhis one..
http://www.roadfly.com/magazine/7/porter_cable_buffer.1.html

Galcobar
06-11-2006, 09:17 AM
The PC 7424 and its progenitors (7336 was the original random-orbital sander, there being no significant difference between the two) is the standard for buffers. Everything is compared to those models, to the point that when Meguiar's decided to offer its own, it bought and rebranded PC's corded and battery-powered versions.

DO NOT get a rotary. Just about anything a rotary can do, an orbital can do with the appropriate products, except utterly screw up your paint with a single mistake. If you need a rotary for your own car, you'd probably spend less time earning the money for a proper repaint than you would doing the paint repairs that a rotary can handle.

Nice thing is, they're cheap. I picked up my PC7336 for less than a hundred -- though I cannot remember the company I bought it from. Had it and a batch of equipment from Meguiar's (pads, bonnets, cloths, products) shipped to my home and consider it perhaps the best couple of hundred I've spent. Certainly, it's been the best value.

And as an aside, if you ever need a power sander....

Blackcloud
06-16-2006, 03:12 AM
:hehe:

but i already have a power sander

acidice333
06-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Galcobar, can you polish my car? haha its better than whomping out a few grand for a paint job for now I guess.

hombredelassrtas
07-14-2006, 02:47 PM
i used a small random-orbital from pepboys for hina nd it worked great. I was told however that u should use it to put on a compund but when taking it off always by hand. becasue if there is something ont he surface when ur taking it off the buffer will scratch and really mess with the paint

extremeskillz
07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
What are u using? a vibrating orbital?

LoKi The Infidel
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM
i used a small random-orbital from pepboys for hina nd it worked great. I was told however that u should use it to put on a compund but when taking it off always by hand. becasue if there is something ont he surface when ur taking it off the buffer will scratch and really mess with the paint
i've got a small handheld buffer, and did my jeep with it before i sold it... the thing looked AWESOME when finished, and only took me half an hour *there isn't much body to a jeep*.

but i imagine it would have been double time at least doing it by hand.

but yea with rubbing compound, i'd remove it by hand anyway. you should always use a fresh pad on the buffer for each stage, but its better to do it right, and by hand you can make sure.

i'm going to break out the old rubbing compound to my civic this weekend, and give it a good touch up and wax. it needs it.

zmile06
08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I have seen paint fly off a car before from using a high RPM buffer, the person had to use alot of touch up paint to fix it.

You can learn how to use a buffer if you took your time and learned patience, its not something you just whip out turn it up to 6k RPM and expect it to be perfect.

If you buy a buffer spend alot of money on a good one buy good bonnets(microfiber), and use low rpms till you get used to it:)

I still use my hand because its harder to screw up your paint that way:) Do what i do pay a friend 50 bucks once a year or something to polish/wax your car with a high speed buffer.

RIalltrac
08-10-2006, 02:18 AM
anyone got a good link on a "how to", I have a buffer and all the appropriate pads. I did my car once and it looked a lot better than if I did it by hand, but who knows if I'm doing it to my full potential.

zmile06
08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
anyone got a good link on a "how to", I have a buffer and all the appropriate pads. I did my car once and it looked a lot better than if I did it by hand, but who knows if I'm doing it to my full potential.Umm its hard to find a "how to" when it comes to buffing its usualy taught by another person.

Your best bet would be to find a buddy to help you, which can be hard.

Or to be careful and gradually try and improve your buffing, dont stay in one spot too long expecialy with expensive higher RPM buffers.

85gtsblackman
08-13-2006, 12:53 AM
i have a 6 inch coleman and a 10 inch coleman, and people ask me can i do there cars after they see mine, plus i make macco paint jobs look like 1500 paint jobs

nuff said

btw your always safe with megires and 3m products

Galcobar
08-16-2006, 07:41 PM
For a general how-to, try http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

For more product-specific, I troll the meguairsonline.com forums, since almost all my products are Meguiar's.