PDA

View Full Version : adjustable cam gear - 5sfe/TE

presure2
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
hey guys.
i talked to the guys @ ATS racing, and aaron says he can modify the 5S gear much like he does for the 3SGTE.
he gave me a price of 110$ with me sending him the gear to modify.
nuke, lets get your input here, your MUCH better @ explaining this stuff than i am...lmao
im assuming that if we can get some people interested in these, he be able to do it a bit cheaper, but i cannot say for sure.
we've got 5 or so people interested over on 6gc.
also, for cores, the 5th and 6th gen 5s gears are the same, so getting cores is a simple matter of finding a 5th or 6th gen in a junkyard, smashing off the upper timing belt cover, cutting the timing belt and removing the gear.
discuss! :bigthumbu :thumbsdow :laugh: :owned: ??

91 celica st
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
hmm i would be interested if they ever did it for the 4afe

tealterror
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
im in

505celicaGT
06-09-2006, 06:00 PM
im in ..
im goin to teh junkyard today to get a 3s head.. (no wires) but ill see if they have any 5sfe's

nuclearhappines
06-09-2006, 07:02 PM
nuke, lets get your input here, your MUCH better @ explaining this stuff than i am...lmao

what do you want me to say ?

basically you'll be able to tune the car like you would a single over had cam car... camshaft retard = more optimized for top end power, camshaft advance = more optimized for low end power

since the 5sfe is made for low end and fuel effeciency i have a 'feeling' that with a few degrees of timing retard you'd gain a nice bit of top end... for 110 it's worth a try but i can't tell you weather you'd gain 5hp or 15hp till you try it (cam tuning is funky like that ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) ...but if there is a problem with the timing, and this fixes it, then 15hp on the top end of a 5sfTe's power band will not surprise me at all.

-nuke

presure2
06-09-2006, 11:11 PM
what do you want me to say ?

basically you'll be able to tune the car like you would a single over had cam car... camshaft retard = more optimized for top end power, camshaft advance = more optimized for low end power

since the 5sfe is made for low end and fuel effeciency i have a 'feeling' that with a few degrees of timing retard you'd gain a nice bit of top end... for 110 it's worth a try but i can't tell you weather you'd gain 5hp or 15hp till you try it (cam tuning is funky like that ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) ...but if there is a problem with the timing, and this fixes it, then 15hp on the top end of a 5sfTe's power band will not surprise me at all.

-nuke
exactly what i wanted to hear. :lolhittin
i basicly was looking for you to explain how it will affect the motor.
once i straggle together enough cash to have it done, ill get one and report back.
we'll see what happens! :)

Snafu
06-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Uh, wouldn't an adjustment on the gear result in the opposite being done to the slave gear? I've tuned my B18B1 with Crower 404's in it (big cams) and made the best power with no gear adjustments. Unless you're getting different cams, it's a pointless mod.