PDA

View Full Version : Ben needs a daily driver

ciento44
06-04-2006, 09:23 PM
The thread topic is self-explanatory...

I'm more than 90% sure that i'm getting a new job this week, at a bit over 3 times my current pay. This will allow me to really get cracking on the restore/rebuild/buildup of my baby.

But first, i'll need a daily driver.

Obviously, first, i want it to be dependable, but i also don't want it to be any less fun than my celica is right now.

Couple things i've been looking into:

1) 1986 BMW 635csi ($5000 obo, perfect shape, both asthetic and mechanically)
2) E36 BMW 3-series
3) Mercedes E190 of some year
4) 7th gen Celica GT-S (Would have to do monthly payments)
5) Possibly a supercharged Camry? :P
Anything else i should be looking at? I'd like to spend maybe $3-4k, more if it's really worth it. Anyone think that going to a dealer and trying to find a good 7th gen will really be worth it? I'd like to keep this for at least two years.

Help is much appreciated. :)

85gtsblackman
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
a 1985 celica gts

22re = one of the most reliable engines ever

or spend 9 grand and get this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-Celica-GTS-Convertible-49K-Located-in-NH_W0QQitemZ4646500996QQcategoryZ15288QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

btw im not being biased or anything but the 7th gen celica is the quickest out of the box celica produced but its also the most unreliable, i know i worked at toyota, same with the last gen mr2

if u want a really good all around car, find a 92-96 toyota camry, i had a 93 4 cyl auto, put it though hell and back both me and my dad, the friend of the family thats owns it now is still driving it daily with 330k on the orginal engine and trans

ciento44
06-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd think about that ebay celica... but as a personal preference, i hate convertibles. :(

And fair enough on the opinion on the 7th gen. I'm just scared about getting something not a celica after logging so many miles on this one. I don't think any car is going to feel comfortable for quite awhile after i get it.

Would anyone happen to know if supercharging the 5sfe makes it really unreliable? I don't want to go with a 5sfte in my daily driver, for obvious reasons, but i dunno... sc seems to be easier and more reliable.

I'll look into the 3rd gens... the only downside is that i'm looking for something that i will be able to just pick up and drive, and not worry about doing a bunch of work first, including bodywork. But i'll see what i can find. :)

85gtsblackman
06-06-2006, 04:04 AM
mine body wise only needs a hatch, and a dent poped out , if u get a celica supra hatch they bolt right on but are a better hatch

and i know alot of people on here show no love for hyundai but the 2000-01 tiburon 5speed is the most reliable tiburon yet, i havent seen one come in for any mayjor type of repair, cept the automatics, ive seen a few autos replaced under warrenty, but it feels like a celica but its faster, and handels better

mine was only 6 grand at 76k a year ago

they dont cost much and they are pretty reliable and respond to mods well

edit btw ive worked on german cars, id never buy one, id buy a pontiac over a german car except a porsche, they are not that reliable, audis leak oil and blow turbos at 60, etc

Ricksta
06-06-2006, 04:25 AM
get a gsr.....thier even more fun then a stock celi!!

ciento44
06-06-2006, 06:28 AM
get a gsr.....thier even more fun then a stock celi!!

I'm not going to find a GSR worth getting in my price range.

91stxman, i agree and disagree with your German car statement. My first car was an Audi 90, and to this day, i wish i had never sold it. It was damn near as reliable as my celica, and was a much more refined car in general.

My father has a 1993 325i, has had it for 4 years, and the only thing that has ever broken on it was the water pump, which was expected, with the amount of miles that was on it.

My mother has a 1988 MB 560SL, and starts right up after being stored for 8 months out of the year, and nothing but routine scheduled maitenence, same with her 1999 ML430.

But, these are cars that have had good maintenence all their lives. Cars that have been abused in the past, no matter what the brand, will be a mess.

Right now, honestly, i'm between a Camry, and the 1986 635csi.

6strngs
06-06-2006, 07:42 AM
get another celica! seriously, you could probably get one for $3000-ish. And a 5sfe is reliable!!! perhaps not the quickest thing on the road, but hey, it's a daily driver!

bloodredgt
06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Buy a 3rd gen celica. They are the most reliable cars ever. Most people have no idea how much of a trooper 3rd gen celicas are. Plus they're RWD. You can find some for fairly cheap. Around Los Angeles, they sell for below $1000. Even in great running condition. Even the 22R motors are reliable. It's fun to drive a carburated motor around once in a while. It's fun to start up =)

ciento44
06-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, i've added the 3rd and 6th gens to my list.

There's also an S13 in pretty good shape around here, too... Looks like i gotta start test driving some stuff. :)

85gtsblackman
06-07-2006, 03:35 AM
damnit everyone thinks my car is carbed

just to clear things up the 82 had carbs and some early 83s

the 84 85 run 22re fuel injected

the carbs have pros and cons, i personally dont like the front end and interiors of the early celicas

but u can bolt on a 20r head onto a 82-early 84 22r block and throw a 268 270 or 280 cam in and have a shit load of n/a power

i like not having to go above 4k in town , even with a 5speed and a 3.8x rear , i sit pretty low just cruisin, 4k in 5th gear is about 100 mph for me :D

i cant wait to put in my 280 cam :D

ciento44
06-07-2006, 04:33 AM
damnit everyone thinks my car is carbed

just to clear things up the 82 had carbs and some early 83s

the 84 85 run 22re fuel injected

the carbs have pros and cons, i personally dont like the front end and interiors of the early celicas

but u can bolt on a 20r head onto a 82-early 84 22r block and throw a 268 270 or 280 cam in and have a shit load of n/a power

i like not having to go above 4k in town , even with a 5speed and a 3.8x rear , i sit pretty low just cruisin, 4k in 5th gear is about 100 mph for me :D

i cant wait to put in my 280 cam :D

Hrmm... keep talking, you're intriguing the hell out of me. RWD, reliable, decent highway gearing...

Is the gearing so tall that it loses pep? Or does it still get up and move pretty good? Will it be slower or faster than my 5th gen? Is the interior a good place to spend upwards of 20 hours in a week? How's visibility?

How expensive are mild mods? I have a hard time leaving any car completely stock, i'd probably just do whatever you do, use you as a guinea pig. :p

91GTS
06-07-2006, 11:30 AM
You're welcome to buy this beauty.

http://picpile.net/ims/pic_24LP2mo/37.jpg

124,000 Miles
Everything works fine and dandy
A/C Blows Cold!

MCcelica
06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
6th gens will probably be the most similar to your car in terms of the interior, but they are very hard to find if you have a lower price range and you want one in good shape. the 5sfe's in the 5th gens feel a little slower because i think they're a little heavier, am i right? So if you were to go from a 5s in a 5th gen to a 5s in a 6th, the 6th would feel slightly more powerful. That was my experience at least.

ciento44
06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I found a 1994 GT in perfect shape for $3500. I dunno though... i probably won't go the 6th gen route.

http://www.indycarz.com/uploads/attachments/celica1_156.jpg
http://www.indycarz.com/uploads/attachments/celica2_150.jpg

RallyK
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Don't buy BMWs or Mercedes... They are expensive to repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're better off to spend more money on a newer/more common car like a Honda or Toyota. It will be less likely to break down and repairs are cheap. Parts aren't as cheap as Fords or Chevys but they won't break down as often! Believe me, I work at napa!

RallyK
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM
shit man I'd buy it if it was closer! I already have too many cars!

ciento44
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't buy BMWs or Mercedes... They are expensive to repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're better off to spend more money on a newer/more common car like a Honda or Toyota. It will be less likely to break down and repairs are cheap. Parts aren't as cheap as Fords or Chevys but they won't break down as often! Believe me, I work at napa!

Lol... i know they're expensive to repair, but they also don't break down that often, at least what i've seen out of the 7 german cars to go through my family in the last 5 years... :p

And i'm thinking about that 6th gen, but i'm really not sure how much i like it. We'll see. If i get this second job that i applied for (didn't get the first one, goddamnit :( ) i'll drive the 15 minutes out to there and give it a test drive. Everyone that's talked about it says it's in really good shape, though. Owner is a Toyota mechanic, and knows his Celicas, done a couple 3sgte swaps.

I'm still liking the idea of a 3rd gen, though.

85gtsblackman
06-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Hrmm... keep talking, you're intriguing the hell out of me. RWD, reliable, decent highway gearing...

Is the gearing so tall that it loses pep? Or does it still get up and move pretty good? Will it be slower or faster than my 5th gen? Is the interior a good place to spend upwards of 20 hours in a week? How's visibility?

How expensive are mild mods? I have a hard time leaving any car completely stock, i'd probably just do whatever you do, use you as a guinea pig. :p
06-06-2006 10:35 PM

oh she gets up and moves, overall faster than a 5th gen, i know its faster than my stx when i had it and i had head and fuel work done to it and it would keep door to door with a gt

if u get a gts the factory seats are recaros, they are the most comfortable seats that ive been in in a sportsd car, EVER, and u have plenty of headroom and visability, well i do at 5 foot 9 inches tall.

they are stated as the best handeling platform celica, and it handels good for me but i need rear shocks, ive road in one with 5 way adjustable shocks all the way around and it handeled like it was on rails, like i was in a miata or something

if u want to go faster quick and easy, just swap a rear from a late celica supra or 5 speed cressida, its like a 4.11 or higher, i have a 3.73 rear end stock

ive already done a few things but biggest thing i felt the diffence in was i made a cai where the cone sits in front of the grill, i love it, i can go though high water, no problem

this car is either as cheap or cheaper to mod as a civic, ive seen 22re's last upwards past 400k...although rebuild time then, and they make just about any porformace part for the 22re engine u can think of, cams heads , blocks complete engines, turbo kits ,super chargers, anything u can think of

also see ww.celica-gts.com for more info

oh and im getting about 25 mpg combined with a bad alighnment, stuck egr, and a miss/backfire caused by a bad erg, with continuous spirited driving

best of all my insurance on it is only 50 a month for it

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Just at least get somthing japanesse!! that s13 sounds nice, but i think im being bias cause i like 240's.

ciento44
06-09-2006, 09:43 AM
It'll either be japanese or german, no exceptions. I'm trolling Ebay now as we speak, looking for a late 3rd gen GT-S.

I'm obviously going to wait for the right one to come along, but this is really starting to look good to me.

One more question, though. What are the stock speaker sizes and locations? This doesn't REALLY matter too much, but for my daily driver, i like to have a decent sounding system, especially since it looks like my commute, if i get either of the jobs that i interview for tomorrow, will be around 45 minutes one way.

And i'm 5' 9" as well, so visibility is a check. :)

<EDIT>
Damn, looks like it's just a pair of 4-inchers.

MCcelica
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
That 6th gen GT should have 6x9s in the back I think. Same as the 5th gens, but the fronts in the 6th are at least a couple inches bigger around than the 5th gens. 5th's had front 4's where the 6th gens look like 6's. Throw in a decent headunit and it'll be crystal clear. I got a pioneer 50x4w wma/mp3 head unit in mine and it's awesome on the stock speakers. As for a daily driver the 6th gen gt (5sfe) is pretty good, the only thing that would make it better is if it had vvti for better mileage if you're not punching it too much. How much are they asking for that 6th gen gt? How many miles?

ciento44
06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
That 1994 GT has 120k on it, and they're asking $3500 obo. Price is extremely fair, for the condition that it's in, and the mild mods done.

I would guess that the setup on the 6th gen is a pair of 6x9s in the back, and a pair of 6.5s in the front.

5th gen has a pair of 6.5s in the back, and a pair of 4s in the front. Whatever car i get, is getting the headunit out of the 5th gen, as well as whatever speakers that i can fit in there out of the 5th. Once i get the new car, the 5th probably won't be on the road again until April, as a completely transformed beast.

I think i'm still thinking 3rd gen, though. Too bad they're so damn hard to find.

MCcelica
06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
The only speakers that you can pull out of a 5th gen (If your "measurements" are correct) and put into the 6th gen are the tweeters on the doors. Are you pulling the stock head unit from the 5th gen, or do you have something else in there right now that you'd be switching?

A 6th gen in that condition for that price is a steal if you ask me, even with the mileage. I bought my 94 gt 2dr with about 105K miles on it for like $4,500, which is a pretty sweet deal considering that most anyone else with a 6th gen for sale wanted around $6k, even the private sellers.

burnyd
06-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Well my 6th gen with my 3s swap is still for sale if your are interested let me know. Its on 6gc for sale and its also on here on ctech... I wanted 6500 but ill sell it to any celica board member for 6k

ciento44
06-09-2006, 11:40 PM
The only speakers that you can pull out of a 5th gen (If your "measurements" are correct) and put into the 6th gen are the tweeters on the doors. Are you pulling the stock head unit from the 5th gen, or do you have something else in there right now that you'd be switching?

A 6th gen in that condition for that price is a steal if you ask me, even with the mileage. I bought my 94 gt 2dr with about 105K miles on it for like $4,500, which is a pretty sweet deal considering that most anyone else with a 6th gen for sale wanted around $6k, even the private sellers.

Ermmm... if my measurements are correct, i'll be able to find a place to put the 6.5s that i have in the 6th gen, if i get it. And nope, i have something else in the 5th gen that i'd be switching. I have a full (don't shoot me) Sony Xplod system, all stock location replacements, and a 12" sub. It was cheap, and sounds good, so i like it.

But stereo will not be necessary in the 5th gen, so it's getting taken out.

Burnyd, thanks for the offer, but i'm gonna pass. More money that i'm willing to spend, and i don't need two 3sgte swapped cars. :) This probably won't go down for another month or so, but i'm just trying to figure out exactly what i'm looking for. 3rd gen is still at the top of the list.

85gtsblackman
06-10-2006, 12:02 AM
front are 3 inch with 1 4 inch woofer on the passenger side and the rear is a 4x6 or someting

just about eveyone on the 3rd gen boards have put 6.5s in the doors, its really easy, im just waiting for the right speakers to pop up on ebay, and u need a spacer for each speaker

as for the rear i have a hatch so i put 2 6x9 boxes in the back, sound great, also ive seen 6.5s put in the rear quarter area like a 5th gen and ive seen 6x9s

right now i have 4 inch bostons in the front and the hyundai factory 6x9s in the boxes, but the 6x9s are some kind of premium sound 2 way 6x9s, so they sound pretty good

just to add for comfort sake , to give u an idea of how comfortable the seats are, on my hour break i sleep for 30 to 40 mins in the driver seat, and go back to work fine, no pain

oh and its a small but roomy car, i fit a 6 drawer chest in the back with a bunch of crap under it, a box with a comp desk on top, and something else , then shut the hatch

weight is 2800 lbs

ciento44
06-10-2006, 12:15 AM
front are 3 inch with 1 4 inch woofer on the passenger side and the rear is a 4x6 or someting

just about eveyone on the 3rd gen boards have put 6.5s in the doors, its really easy, im just waiting for the right speakers to pop up on ebay, and u need a spacer for each speaker

as for the rear i have a hatch so i put 2 6x9 boxes in the back, sound great, also ive seen 6.5s put in the rear quarter area like a 5th gen and ive seen 6x9s

right now i have 4 inch bostons in the front and the hyundai factory 6x9s in the boxes, but the 6x9s are some kind of premium sound 2 way 6x9s, so they sound pretty good

just to add for comfort sake , to give u an idea of how comfortable the seats are, on my hour break i sleep for 30 to 40 mins in the driver seat, and go back to work fine, no pain

oh and its a small but roomy car, i fit a 6 drawer chest in the back with a bunch of crap under it, a box with a comp desk on top, and something else , then shut the hatch

weight is 2800 lbs

Ok, so basically, stock stereo isn't great, but it's not that hard to improve. That's fine, i can deal with that. Seats are good. Little heavier than my 5th gen, but rwd should make up for the fun factor, and i imagine that mild mods would be cheap, simply by the amount of 22res there are in the world.

I'm sold.

Now help me find a nice one. :) I've been trolling Ebay, but haven't seen anything yet. I DON'T want a coupe, in this case, unlike my 5th.

85gtsblackman
06-10-2006, 06:42 PM
coupe 3rd gen is fugly

oh and i traded my 5th gen for a 3rd gen and got 800 dollars to boot

check the gts fourms theres some guys selling

u could also find a gt hatch but u get no fender flares, u get a sold rear axle with i think a lower rear gear , and not as compy seats

oh forgot to tell the gts seats are 8 way adjustible

gt also came with steel wheels or these ugly narrow 15s

but they are lighter

car
nice 85 gts , EDIT: GO GET THIS CAR!, hell i want it, $2300

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7412

also try http://www.craigslist.org/

ciento44
06-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Lol...

That car is listed on these forums, too. :P

I already saw it, and posted something menial.

If it happens to still be for sale once i start the new job, i will be snapping it up. :)

JDMjosh
06-11-2006, 01:37 AM
i got a 4th Gen Celly GT-S full rebuild.

check out my pics if you're interested. the lowered white one with no black trim.

ciento44
06-11-2006, 03:38 AM
If i can't find a third gen after i get this job, i'll get in touch with you. I always liked the 4th gen GT-S, but i'd rather have rwd at this point in time. Thanks, though. :)

85gtsblackman
06-11-2006, 08:59 PM
sell u mine for 3k :hehe:

damnit now i want that white one

JDMjosh
06-13-2006, 02:26 AM
yeah, i love the 4th Gen's. but my next ride is DEFINATELY a drifter... i'd LOIVE to scoop a 3rd Gen and drop in a JZTE.. -drool-

good GOD!

i'd spend more time sideways than eating/sleeping/driving normally combined.

i met a guy who had a gem white one about a month ago. practically mint. low orginaly k, paid $1,200 for it. (paid more for his cd player) week after i met the guy, it was stolen and torched. rotten shame. :|

MCcelica
06-13-2006, 10:27 AM
^I'd be super-pissed.

JDMjosh
06-16-2006, 01:42 AM
yeah, he seemed it. his hand was all swollen and busted up from punching a stucco wall. lol. that alone convinced me it wasn't insurance fraud.. plus the fact he was genuinely stoked about buying the car and had some good plans for it.

lousy thieves. it's a plague around here. that's why i got CCTV outside my house ;)