PDA

View Full Version : taking a look at MR2

ty_44_69
06-01-2006, 11:02 PM
I'll be taking a look at a 91 MR2 turbo w/ 210 000 km's on it.
I'm unfamiliar w/ MR2's only seen 3 from a distance in my life :slap:
So besides the obvious stuff to look out for on a car, anything specific I should look out for?

burnyd
06-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Same as cars pretty much... How many miles is 210kms? Turbo na auto 5spd? Nedd to know these things.

GT4SOM
06-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Make sure if its the T-Tops that it doesn't leak.

KoreanJoey
06-02-2006, 04:14 AM
check the brakes, air filter, oil change sticker, tires, the tabs, those things help you gauge how well the car's been taken care of.

ty_44_69
06-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Burnyd read what I wrote before you ask some of the questions

Same as cars pretty much... How many miles is 210kms? Turbo na auto 5spd? Nedd to know these things.

91 MR2 turbo
210k km = 131k miles
Also I thought all MR2 TURBO's had 5 speed

Make sure if its the T-Tops that it doesn't leak.
Thanks, I'll ask about that. If it does it won't stop me from buying the car though, there aren't to many available around here so I would just replace or find a way to fix it.

All the rest is common knowledge so I can deal with that.
T-tops are good to know about though.
It was serviced at Toyota.
Brand new TRD suspension, oil change 3 times a year regardless of the miles (synthetic), new brakes system (pads, rotors), new ball joints, alignment, etc...

He also mentioned there is one part on the car "on MR2 this area is notorious for surface rust because water is able to sit there," not sure where he is talking about but it sounds believable.

burnyd
06-02-2006, 05:17 AM
yupp that surface area would be under the doors the part thats real close to the rear quarter panal........

Ok na mr2s came in auto and 5sp and 91 meens no LSD :(

if the car has 131k on it make absolute sure it has a newer clutch in it.. as all toyota clutches need to be replaced anywhere from 120-140k at most. Also Im assuming its a US 3sgte if it has that many miles on it the turbo is going to need to be rebuilt. Honestly to me it sounds like a car your going to have to put some money into it in a while. But make absoulte sure you find out about how old the motor and tranny are on that car... make sure 2nd gear doesnt grind also its pretty common for a car with that many miles on it to do so.

yes the t-tops always leak in those cars.....

Oh yah btw how much is this guy asking?

bloodredgt
06-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Go on the mr2oc.com forum. They have write ups of what to look for.

Cavanagh
06-02-2006, 11:31 AM
131isn't that bad! test drive it then write about it!

ty_44_69
06-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm trying to see it on Monday, so I will have a better idea of how everything is then.

Ok na mr2s came in auto and 5sp
Burnyd :lolwtf:
I clearly said turbo in the first post and then said TURBO TURBO TURBO TURBO in the 2nd post, so why do you keep saying na mr2??????? :slap:

He is asking $10.5k CAN right now for it

burnyd
06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
sorry this dislexia problem gets to me.. ethier that or im mad because I want another turbo deuce... is it original motor/trans clutch?

cheesesliceking
06-03-2006, 03:42 AM
He is asking $10.5k CAN right now for it

you could get one imported from Japan with less miles on for a similar price buddy

http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=108

http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=184

burnyd
06-03-2006, 03:47 AM
whats the process with getting that legal in canada?

cheesesliceking
06-03-2006, 03:49 AM
not sure mate, i know its all included in the price for the UK, MOT VIC etc.

wizzards581
06-03-2006, 04:21 AM
i use to own a 91 mr2 turbo.

just make sure everything works. AC and steering wheel airbag was a recall that yr. ours was replace with new working AC (not working when bought used), and steering wheel brand new from dealer none found anywhere even Japan. i sold the car a yr later.

ty_44_69
06-03-2006, 05:32 AM
yes it is the original motor. It has been in his family since 92 which is nice to know because half the time you don't know who owned it and how they treated it.

Here is the info so I feel good about this know all this was recently done:
"suspension rebuild in 04 for rotors,pads,calipers,bushings,end links,tires,struts,springs,sway bars,and ball joints. oh and coil cap and wires/plugs. What i dont have but that was done the year before was timing belt, valve clearence adjust, and a new head gasket just because they were already there."
I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

91 celica st
06-03-2006, 05:52 AM
t6hats alot for a mr2 turbo w that many miles...

burnyd
06-03-2006, 06:44 AM
t6hats alot for a mr2 turbo w that many miles...

yupp especially one thats going to need the turbo rebuilt and clutch replaced real soon.

ty_44_69
06-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I already have a ct26 sitting at home.

cheesesliceking
06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
i say get it, i had an SW20 for 12 months & loved every minute of it. BTW, nice rims on your gen 5

burnyd
06-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I already have a ct26 sitting at home.

good luck.

ty_44_69
06-04-2006, 02:30 AM
good luck.

I'm sensing not only sarcasm but dislexia...haha
Why do you say good luck though, like I'm not putting down what you are saying but just explain.
Either way I joined mr2oc so I'm getting lots of info there

burnyd
06-04-2006, 08:34 AM
once again good luck...

celicasteve
06-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Sounds good! you can't even touch a sw20 around here for less than $8000

Steve

Cavanagh
06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
i want an mr2 turbo :(

91 celica st
06-05-2006, 09:56 PM
tehre around $5000 here, and whats funny is the non-turbos sell for more

bloodredgt
06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I always think it's so funny when people say "here" but no one has a clue where they're from since they haven't posted their location...

Any updates on the mr2?

ty_44_69
06-06-2006, 02:10 AM
ya looked at it today......picking it up saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOT

Was looking to get it a little cheaper, but I was really impressed. Everything is stock exception suspension.
$10k
clutch is stock so that will be a problem in the near future but that's ok

andy
06-06-2006, 06:02 AM
good deal
I have a bud with one, 91 turbo 5sp with a 20g turbo kit on it at 14psi. Its facking quick. real fackin quick. later O btw my turbo 5s is still runnin strong. later

T-spoon
06-06-2006, 06:28 AM
Tyler: let me be the first to say, maintenance issues - though important - are not your biggest concern yet. I don't know how to impress this on ya enough. BE OVERLY CAUTIOUS WHILE LEARNING THIS CAR. They handle very well, and if you've been reading up you'll know it's hard to judge where the edge of that envelope is. I don't want to read a sad post from you, so be very cautious. Don't get throttle-happy in corners and don't be heavy on the brakes. Treat it nice and it'll take care of you. Changing out the turbo is a bit of a PITA. If the current one shows signs of needing to be replaced soon, talk him down on the price for the labor/money you'll need to put into the labor. Check for rust everywhere, the white one in my sig was a rust bucket and was a nightmare. On the other hand, I had one with 195k miles that gave me no trouble at all, so mileage is not the primary concern. Make sure it has no history of overheating. If something gets fouled up with the cooling system, it's a bit of a PITA.

BE CAREFUL DRIVING IT. Go into corners slowly and give steady throttle through'm, don't go in fast and have to brake, that kind of weight transfer that doesn't hurt you in the Celi can take you off the road in the MR2. You might think I'm being overly dramatic about it, but too many new deuce drivers found it out the hard way so we wouldn't have to. Enjoy :D

Sean
06-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Very cool man! Keep us updated! PICS!

bloodredgt
06-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Tyler: let me be the first to say, maintenance issues - though important - are not your biggest concern yet. I don't know how to impress this on ya enough. BE OVERLY CAUTIOUS WHILE LEARNING THIS CAR. They handle very well, and if you've been reading up you'll know it's hard to judge where the edge of that envelope is. I don't want to read a sad post from you, so be very cautious. Don't get throttle-happy in corners and don't be heavy on the brakes. Treat it nice and it'll take care of you. Changing out the turbo is a bit of a PITA. If the current one shows signs of needing to be replaced soon, talk him down on the price for the labor/money you'll need to put into the labor. Check for rust everywhere, the white one in my sig was a rust bucket and was a nightmare. On the other hand, I had one with 195k miles that gave me no trouble at all, so mileage is not the primary concern. Make sure it has no history of overheating. If something gets fouled up with the cooling system, it's a bit of a PITA.

BE CAREFUL DRIVING IT. Go into corners slowly and give steady throttle through'm, don't go in fast and have to brake, that kind of weight transfer that doesn't hurt you in the Celi can take you off the road in the MR2. You might think I'm being overly dramatic about it, but too many new deuce drivers found it out the hard way so we wouldn't have to. Enjoy :D

:stupid: Can't agree more. Got to drive my friend's MR2 turbo and found that the write ups on MR2OC are more than accurate. It can handle like a dream but can quickly become a nightmare if you brake during a turn. The wheel base is so short that it's spin happy. It's SUPER FUN to drive though. Plus it's pretty quick with basic bolt ons.

ty_44_69
06-06-2006, 11:28 PM

BE CAREFUL DRIVING IT. Go into corners slowly and give steady throttle through'm, don't go in fast and have to brake, that kind of weight transfer that doesn't hurt you in the Celi can take you off the road in the MR2. You might think I'm being overly dramatic about it, but too many new deuce drivers found it out the hard way so we wouldn't have to. Enjoy

Thanks for the write up man, the advice is taken. I don't really drive like a maniac ever anyways, nor would I on a busy street, so I plan on learning the car slow before I ever try anything like that. I wasn't that aware of the problems w/ cornering and braking so that is something if I try (just to see what it is like) it will be on a big street w/ no traffic.
The guy did mention that it takes a long time to heat up, and cool down because the rad is mounted in the front and you have that piping running all the way to the back. Like we ran it around for a short period and you could feel the heat pouring out, but it wasn't anymore than anyother car (I don't think). I guess I will find out this weekend when I have to drive it home.
Just say I do have an overheating issue is the something general that causes this or needs to be look at on MR2's?
T spoon check PM too.

Thanks Guys! Pics will be up late sat or sunday.

T-spoon
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't think they're more prone to overheating than other cars, didn't mean to imply that if I did, it's just that the nature of the mid/rear engine and front radiator means there's a lot more cooling system volume to deal with than most cars. I never noticed it taking abnormally long to heat up. The extra length of piping etc. shouldn't matter because your thermostat isn't going to allow coolant to be running all the way up through the radiator and back while warming up unless it's not working right as far as I know. But because it's a pain to flush and refill/bleed, etc. you want to be doubly sure the cooling system isn't going to require extra work. If they've been putting tap water and the wrong coolant in there, mixing coolant, not bleeding the system properly, you can end up with the same problems you would with any car, it's just doubly a pain to deal with on the 2.

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I always think it's so funny when people say "here" but no one has a clue where they're from since they haven't posted their location...

Any updates on the mr2?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that is 100% true!

Your lucky, you have an mr2, i don't. im jealous.......Good luck and be careful!

ty_44_69
06-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. I'll have a better idea of what the car is like when I see it again on Saturday. I've really only ever seen a MR2 up close....hmm.... once! Really excited, probably haven't been this excited since I still thought there was a Santa hhaha. Yep sorry guys, no such thing hate to break it to the ones that didn't know already.

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Hell i would be too if i was gettin a 2.

T-spoon
06-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Hell i would be too if i was gettin a 2.

That's how I felt when I got my 93, I was so excited, couldn't have been happier with the purchase, and then I had it down for upgrades for a while, and was so excited all over again to get it on the road. And then an SUV crunched it, and I died inside. :(

Oh well. Have fun Tyler! :D

ty_44_69
06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
If that ever happened I would probably want to murder that person! Man, I can't believe that happened, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Cavanagh
06-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Im still jealous and want a 2! :( i hope when you buy it, it will be a beast, but ya i have heard there alot more difficult to drive than most rwds

ty_44_69
06-10-2006, 12:29 PM
It should be interesting though. I'll just take it easy and learn slow. I can't believe I'm actually getting an MR2 I have dreamed about this for years and never thought it would happen because there are so few of them up here. I was looking at buying a newer celica but in the end I would of been out a lot more money, and I really wasn't getting something I really really wanted. leaving in 1.5 hrs to get it!!!!!!!!

ty_44_69
06-10-2006, 06:41 PM
just got home with the MR2. I am so happy......never felt boost before....now i can't go back. I'll post some pics later I'm going out for a ride, it's pretty hard on gas compaired to the celica, but I've been punching it to feel the boost.

ty_44_69
06-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Well here are the pics of the new car.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/7/6/3/suspen.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/7/6/3/seats.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/7/6/3/rusted.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/7/6/3/passview.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/7/6/3/engine.JPG
Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I do.

burnyd
06-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Looks clean... best of luck to you!

Cavanagh
06-11-2006, 07:57 AM
AHHHH.....kickass those cars are amazing looking. I happy for you, i might need to make a road trip to Canada to see that bad boy. Prehaps test drive it? :wiggle: :bigthumbu :bigthumbu :wiggle: LOL

Playfortoday
06-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Congrats. Now shrink that massive siggy down.:hehe:

ty_44_69
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
sure thing Play, do you want me to shrink them all or just the MR2?

Cava, ya come up here and I will let you take it for a little spin.

Playfortoday
06-12-2006, 01:45 AM
sure thing Play, do you want me to shrink them all or just the MR2?

We like sig to be no big that say 150pixels high by 600pixels wide total. So make all three pics 150h x 200w (or somewhere close to that without you having to distort them). When I browse the site om my 13" laptop screen, you sig takes up a full window's worth. No biggie. You can have 100 pictures in you sig, as long as it is not huge. Can you put you three pics all next to each other about the size of mine? Mine is 600 x 100. Thanks for asking about it. You rock!:bigthumbu

ty_44_69
06-12-2006, 03:08 AM
there.....should be better, let me know.

ciento44
06-12-2006, 03:16 AM
there.....should be better, let me know.

lolz matching wheels.

Looks nice man, congrats. :)

Playfortoday
06-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Perfect! Thanks.

acidice333
06-12-2006, 03:38 AM
I can get me a 91 MR2 (yes Turbo!) with 84,800kms on it for $6991 :D $1k less for a non-turbo. RHD too!

ty_44_69
06-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I can get me a 91 MR2 (yes Turbo!) with 84,800kms on it for $6991 $1k less for a non-turbo. RHD too!

Personally I would have absolutely no use for Right hand drive (if that is what RHD stands for). That's a good price though, if there was anything around here for that price I would go for it, except RHD.

lolz matching wheels.
They are not matching rims.......you bastard hahahah. So many people have asked me that now. Yes they look similar but no they are not the same. I did want to get some nice 5 spokes...but hell they came with the car so I can't complain.