PDA

View Full Version : swap w/ the flu vs. riced civic hatch

jason
06-01-2006, 08:16 AM
cliff notes: my car's running like shit and I smoked an old civic hatch

This forum's dead so I'm going to start throwing in my (mis)adventures. I street/spirit-run occassionally but I'm not an idiot so anybody who doesn't want to hear about me having fun not-so-legally...move on to the next thread now, please. On my quest to pass emissions here in Oregon I'm trying to get the swap to cold-start well and pull more consistant at WOT. It was good weather here the other day so I decided to roll out celi and let her breathe a little. I get a lot of looks because of my car being three-toned due to the mixing and matching of bodyparts...and the mocked FMIC probably doesn't hurt. Anywho, I got to an intersection with two lanes that turn left and on the inside lane happened to be an old (probably '90) civic hatchback. We were both first in line. Lemme tell you, thing was ugly. Blue, HEAVY-flake paint, ugly chrome rims, spacers, slammed, z3 fenders, fart-can exhaust....had a lot of work done to it but not my taste at all. Some mid-thirties white guy and what I'm assuming was his wife. I was minding my business trying not to laugh or look and he did it anyway, he revved on me. I looked over and he was staring at me, I couldn't hold it anymore, I cracked a smile and payed attention back to the light. He shouted over "it was an accident". So I said "oh, just slipped, huh? hate it when it does that". They were cool about it, he said something to the effect of him not having much to worry about, I don't know if he meant that he didn't think he had to worry about me or he didn't have much to compete with me. Anyway the light turned green and we both slowly rolled around the corner to the straight and shifted slowly into second...I knew he was going to go for it though so as soon as I heard his exhaust note change, I floored it. I could barely hear my own exhaust over the whine of his, but that only lasted for about two seconds, because shortly after I was at the top of second gear and he was about four, maybe five car lengths back. Further up the same road, when it split back into two lanes, he pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up, they were both giggling. They gave me props then I told them it was running like shit. That busted them up and they told me they couldn't tell in the least...that made me smile-

ty_44_69
06-02-2006, 05:31 AM
haha that's good man, liked the story. Would of been better if the girl jumped in your car in the end....oh well haha.

I'm still running my stock 91 GT. I pulled up behind a green machine (90's civic hatchback), If he did all that show w/ no go I would of been severely disappointed. I was behind him and I heard him hit it so I did to. He was gone.....as I expect, and as he was pulling away it looked like a diesel there was soo much black smoke (running rich?? is my guess...my smoke colours may be wrong???). I can't wait till I have a turbo'd car of my own, cause I'm sick of these ricers.

burnyd
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
youll still get beat by those 'ricers'...... Most turbo hondas are faster than a 5s turbo hands down. just got done turbo'ing a Accord this week. Its a Turbo from a Saab with a front mount and the idiot ran an fmu. But oh well its hit car and a 2.5" Straight pipe all the way back. Car put down some decent #s for such a small little turbo and what the car is regularly. All depends on lots of things. Hondas are all guessing games... theres an all motor civic here that runs 10s. Kid is an incredible driver. I think its a b18 or 20 motor that has 800cc injectors he already maxed out.

ty_44_69
06-02-2006, 10:14 PM
youll still get beat by those 'ricers'
well seeing as how my engine is untouched and theirs weren't how wouldn't I get beat by them??????
burnyd some things you say just don't make sense to me, especially when you say afterwards "Most turbo hondas are faster than a 5s turbo hands down."
I'm questioning whether you have A.D.D or something? lol

burnyd
06-03-2006, 03:52 AM
yupp ... Most turbo hondas on a budget are wayyy faster than a 5s motor. I meen it all depends. Im really amazed by the turbo Honda my buddy has he put together for under 900 that puts out 220 to the wheels on a 7psi tune. With just an fmu.

Im not talking about untouched hondas.. there slow ... Im talking about ricers with hood rigged turbos........ easily faster than a 5s turbo setup.

jason
06-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Hondas will alway put down impressive horsepower numbers turbocharged, mostly because of their high compression. This hurts you once you hit about 7psi though, then they have to start building the block. Their torque will always suck but considering they're FWD (excluding the S2K) they can't really apply a lot of torque anyway so that's ok. Their tall gearing is badass too once turbo'd. Boosted Hondas aren't anything to scoff at but I still dislike them. Their interiors are dull and hard, they're pretty much cast-iron and painted with rubber flexpaint. JUST my opinion, of course

burnyd
06-03-2006, 06:45 AM
^^ Funny thats exactly the way I feel. I respect them I would never buy one to build up. And there manual trannnys are really good.

fiveSFE
06-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Hondas will alway put down impressive horsepower numbers turbocharged, mostly because of their high compression. This hurts you once you hit about 7psi though, then they have to start building the block. Their torque will always suck but considering they're FWD (excluding the S2K) they can't really apply a lot of torque anyway so that's ok. Their tall gearing is badass too once turbo'd. Boosted Hondas aren't anything to scoff at but I still dislike them. Their interiors are dull and hard, they're pretty much cast-iron and painted with rubber flexpaint. JUST my opinion, of course

ive seen many b18c1, c5's on stock internals running 10-12psi, i almost turboed my b18c1 hatch, but i ended up selling it because i have too many projects, i have talked to a few people running low 12's on stock inernals in their hatches.

one of my friends is running an EK hatch, with a b18b and a ct26, all stock internals runnin a 12.8 on 10-12lbs of boost.

im buying a ntercooler nx kit from this guy who has a 93 hatch with a b18c5, all stock pulling 11.7's all day.

turbo'd honda's are no joke.

jason
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
ive seen many b18c1, c5's on stock internals running 10-12psi, i almost turboed my b18c1 hatch, but i ended up selling it because i have too many projects, i have talked to a few people running low 12's on stock inernals in their hatches.

one of my friends is running an EK hatch, with a b18b and a ct26, all stock internals runnin a 12.8 on 10-12lbs of boost.

im buying a ntercooler nx kit from this guy who has a 93 hatch with a b18c5, all stock pulling 11.7's all day.

turbo'd honda's are no joke.

Oh, going over 7-ish psi can be done on stock internals, I wasn't saying it couldn't. I wouldn't personally suggest it though. The motor can take the stress but for how long is the real question. How long have your friends been running the motors like that? One of my friend's swapped eg6's was putting down 300whp at around 12psi (I believe). He blew something in his motor though after about 2-3 years. Two integras I know are currently frying their piston rings and god knows what else...some of which may be due to vtec manipulation as well. The other month at Woodburn drags here in Oregon we saw an eg6 hatch blow death out the tailpipe halfway down the strip. The driver and his friends guessed the stock internals had about had it but they couldn't tell for sure without tearing into it. The higher compression ratios leave a small window for error and high revs do damage quick. I just think it'd be better to build it mildly and add a safety margin. Better to pay the smaller money up front as opposed to big money replacing motor after motor. They are no joke though, that is for sure-

fiveSFE
06-06-2006, 10:18 PM
the guy with the b18b and ct26 has had his setup for a while now, he is a tuning genious though, he has turbo'd every car that he has ever had. he also chips ecu's out of his house and does street tunes

the ohter guy with the c5, im not exactly sure how long he has had his car turbo'ed, i know its been more than 3 months though.

ciento44
06-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Stewart Racing shop around here just finished up a 650+whp turbo honda build... was on the a GSR clip, swapped into an EG hatch.

I'm still waiting to see it at the strip.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't want a civic, I never have. But the cost of parts is amazing for them.

celica9303
07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
my old turbo civic was greeat untill i put it sideways in to a telephone pole. JDM B16a t3/t3 turbo and a front mount ic ran 13.9 at the trak at 102, could have bee faster but didnt have much time to tune it before i wrapped around the pole. it was fast but i like the celica better.

celica9303
07-25-2006, 12:08 AM
it was a 90/91 hybrid hatch btw