PDA

View Full Version : lsd

JCMIRAL
05-31-2006, 02:24 AM
does phantom grip make a kit for the 5sfe, i saw on there one for a celica gt but didn't know if was for a 5s or not oh and if not where can i get a stock diff from tried the junkyards and nothing anywhere online?

Bryan

Trance4c
05-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Yes, the one listed for the Celica GT is the correct on, I've actually inquired to them about this as well, here is my email and response:

Looking to see if your LSD unit is for my car that is listed.
Toyota GTS Trans=Any
Note: (FWD)also GT model

Its just listed as Toyota GTS, what car is this? They made a Celica GTS and GT which is FWD from those years that you all have listed. That is
what I'm looking for, a 1990 Toyota Celica LSD unit for the S53 stocktranny.

They're response:

Part #906 will work for your needs.
Thank you

aaronlem
05-31-2006, 02:50 AM
will it work for the 6gen's s54 transmissions as well?

Bigal

burnyd
05-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Not worth the money if your powering just a 5sfe.

KoreanJoey
05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Not worth the money if your powering just a 5sfe.

Don't be stupid, it's needed to accelerate out of a corner, doesn't matter how much or how little power you're making.

MrWOT
05-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Moving to general. :)

burnyd
05-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Don't be stupid, it's needed to accelerate out of a corner, doesn't matter how much or how little power you're making.

Actually it does matter how much power your putting down. Putting it on there is pointless. yes it grips but when you dont have enough power to put down to 2 wheels ethier in a corner especially on fwd or on a straight line... once again proven pointless on a 5s... total waste of money imo.

KoreanJoey
05-31-2006, 10:37 PM
*sigh* the LSD will help reduce crazy understeer trying to accelerate out of a corner ESPECIALLY in a FWD maybe it doesn't matter so much road racing but slaloms that shift weight side to side will prevent you from applying power w/o an LSD.

burnyd
05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
*sigh* the LSD will help reduce crazy understeer trying to accelerate out of a corner ESPECIALLY in a FWD maybe it doesn't matter so much road racing but slaloms that shift weight side to side will prevent you from applying power w/o an LSD.

Yah all that understeer with the crazy power of a 5s motor! Slow down. Its only 300 dollars but its not worh the time nor the money to go with the phantom grip. Especially because you have to rip open your tranny and replace the differential. It makes a tiny bit of sense in a 3s swapped with a s53 tranny.. but after the tranny blows up because it cant take the power you would have to get another tranny rip that open and replac diff again.... 3s / e153 converstion nuff said :D

angryyoungnpoor
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
I've always been kinda interested in this. I'm just wondering how well they work and hold up with the 3sgte. It'd be a bunch cheaper than getting a lsd mr2 transmission.

burnyd
05-31-2006, 11:00 PM
I've always been kinda interested in this. I'm just wondering how well they work and hold up with the 3sgte. It'd be a bunch cheaper than getting a lsd mr2 transmission.

It would be a much better option to go e153 if not lsd than just a regular diff. Youll spend alot less on getting right the first time dropping in 3 s53s.

Hiko
06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
I looked into a phantom grip a while back (and did so again recently cause my clutch took a dump and I figured what the hell).

But, after deciphering these graphs (which came from phantomgrip.com), I decided against using it.

Left turn before install
http://www.phantomgrip.com/images/leftturnwithout.gif

left turn after install
http://www.phantomgrip.com/images/leftturnwith.gif

If you take the time to figure out what it's saying, it implies that the phantom grip is in essence a locker. When he takes the left turn with it, the inside tire is moving FASTER than the outside. So one of your tires will always be breaking free as you corner, and I can't imagine that that is good for handling on a fwd car (or a rwd for that matter). If I'm wrong about any of this, please say so.

Punisher
06-01-2006, 03:21 AM
I believe you are wrong. You need that inside wheel to be going slower than the outside wheel so you can corner better... If not, you would be breaking shit.

As you come out of the turn, then you want both wheels to start putting down the same RPM and power.

That speaks for more of a 90 degree turn though..
a curving turn.. then yea.. doesnt' really matter.. you want the diff to be locked in that situation.

What about those of us with an alltrac transmission that want to change it over to FWD LSD? Is it possible with this "phantom grip"? Or do we need to chuck it out and get an e153?

Also for clarification, the e153 is a V6 camry 5spd tranny correct? How is the gearing on that for a 3sgte? Is 5th gear pretty tall?

What year for the e153 also?

MrWOT
06-01-2006, 03:40 AM
You're right about the outside wheel turning faster then the inside one, but as to what those graphs show, I don't know, too small to read for me.

As for the dif..
http://www.phantomgrip.com/product_lists.php?make=Toyota
They don't list an alltrac application, but you should probably email them.

Punisher
06-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Yea, but what is the e153.. what did it come in and what year(s) should I look to get?

burnyd
06-01-2006, 05:49 AM
I believe you are wrong. You need that inside wheel to be going slower than the outside wheel so you can corner better... If not, you would be breaking shit.

As you come out of the turn, then you want both wheels to start putting down the same RPM and power.

That speaks for more of a 90 degree turn though..
a curving turn.. then yea.. doesnt' really matter.. you want the diff to be locked in that situation.

What about those of us with an alltrac transmission that want to change it over to FWD LSD? Is it possible with this "phantom grip"? Or do we need to chuck it out and get an e153?

Also for clarification, the e153 is a V6 camry 5spd tranny correct? How is the gearing on that for a 3sgte? Is 5th gear pretty tall?

What year for the e153 also?

With a non lsd e153 your going to have to change diffs and then get different inner axles.. I wouldnt want to do it.

burnyd
06-01-2006, 05:50 AM
Yea, but what is the e153.. what did it come in and what year(s) should I look to get?

93 it was an option... all jdm 93 + M2 e153 trannys came with lsd.

Punisher
06-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Ok, so what you are saying is that I can't get a non-lsd e153 and put this phantomgrip "lsd" in it to achieve lsd? This shit is confusing lol

I am starting to see that there is absolutely no "cheaper" method to obtaining a good transmission and having a LSD

burnyd
06-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok, so what you are saying is that I can't get a non-lsd e153 and put this phantomgrip "lsd" in it to achieve lsd? This shit is confusing lol

I am starting to see that there is absolutely no "cheaper" method to obtaining a good transmission and having a LSD

I forget what you have because you have so many damn vehicles.. an altrac one week an ae86 the next heh.....

Theres really no cheepo way of doing it. Buy a 93 + E153 ... a 90-92 e153 thats non lsd you have to rip open the tranny replace differential with a trd lsd or oem.. but I dont think there cheep to buy? then you need lsd axles which are really expensive.

Punisher
06-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Ok, so a 93+ E153 is a closed diff or open? I don't get the point of the phantomgrip LSD if you can't take an open diff transmission and put that in to make it LSD...

Trying to get a fricken LSD transmission for something below 10 trillion dollars... lol

I guess it'll probably be an open diff E153 w/ a Kaaz diff.. those are typically 700-800 dollars.. or maybe I could just use this alltrac tranny and put the kaaz diff in that to make it fwd lsd.

The AE86 is a friends, I'm just doing the wiring for his motor swap... the alltrac was a parts car and is now gone.. now I just have the 90 GTS... which would like a 3sgte.. but it would also like an LSD trans :)

burnyd
06-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Ok, so a 93+ E153 is a closed diff or open? I don't get the point of the phantomgrip LSD if you can't take an open diff transmission and put that in to make it LSD...

Trying to get a fricken LSD transmission for something below 10 trillion dollars... lol

I guess it'll probably be an open diff E153 w/ a Kaaz diff.. those are typically 700-800 dollars.. or maybe I could just use this alltrac tranny and put the kaaz diff in that to make it fwd lsd.

The AE86 is a friends, I'm just doing the wiring for his motor swap... the alltrac was a parts car and is now gone.. now I just have the 90 GTS... which would like a 3sgte.. but it would also like an LSD trans :)

Your trying to confuse me.. its not working heh... closed diff.. Open would meen for another side.. alltrac trans has open diff... mr2/solara/camry trans has closed diff. the alltrac one is not lsd. And I wouldnt mess with that tranny if you wanted lsd. The best way is to get a LSD Tranny from a sw20.. 93+ JDM. and if its going on a celica IM Me you still have my sn ill let you know how I did it its not easy and its not cheep.

Punisher
06-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Exactly.. not easy and not cheap. That's why I was hoping to get a transmission that doesn't have LSD but that Kaaz makes an LSD for.. however, I'm looking at a grand plus time.. so I guess it wouldn't really pay off.. this just sucks ass.

KoreanJoey
06-02-2006, 04:11 AM
dude... changing out diffs is easy... if you've ever done it before it's a cakewalk, changed mine... no problem... I also have an E-153 TRD LSD that will be going in very, very soon.

burnyd
06-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Exactly.. not easy and not cheap. That's why I was hoping to get a transmission that doesn't have LSD but that Kaaz makes an LSD for.. however, I'm looking at a grand plus time.. so I guess it wouldn't really pay off.. this just sucks ass.

well I told you with what you have your really lucky because you had the advantage over me having all the parts you have. Ill make this quick and ill put exaclty what I had to get.. let me start off to tell you this was on my 94.. 6gc. not a 5th gen it made it harder because the cross member is different.

lsd tranny = Most expensive part
Shifter brackets = 300 dollars worth of parts like actuator brackets.. everything that bolted to that tranny I took from a FWD Solara and put it on my Ment to be RWD LSD Mr2 tranny
clutch / flywheel = spec 3 / fidanza flywheel
Now with putting that thing on I hate putting a trans on our cars.. its the absolute worse.
Now the Mounts... The Mount under the rad.. that you can use from a s53/54 tranny mouny. The top mount I made from a s53 mount/ mr2 turbo mount you will have to combine the two. Now the rear I had to rip open 400 boxes of tranny mounts at advance. I found one that worked with where my xmember was. But I still had to take two metal parts and make side parts to screw through the mounts. it isnt easy.
Now with the axles I had to buy inner axles from a guy on mr2oc.. there not cheep.
and my outers were from a ST185. Now when i got the tranny it came with inners.. I was kind of pissed because the next day the inners I spent all that money one came in haha. but when I matched everything up the pas axle didnt fit.. it was about 1/2 inch too small it would pop out within 30-50 miles.. so I took the one inner and took a power saw to the back and sawed it off went out and got longer screws and made an axle. Ok so thats the axle situation... Then I realized the part that went to the block to hold the carrier bearing wasnt going to work. The carrier bearing on a st185 is bigger than the one on a celica. So I had to go to the dealer and buy a carrier bearing bracket... MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE you get the snap ring inside do not put it in without the snap ring! Put that in fired it up and Ive been driving it ever since and this was a month ago. Ive put a good 700 miles on it since and its absolutely fine.

Now heres what I spent
trans = 800 dollars
little shifter parts = 300 dollars
spec 3 = 400 dollars
flywheel = 200 dollars
inners = 150
st185 outers = 100 dollars

It really wasnt cheep for me to get lsd in my car and I considered doing a writeup but everytime I go to do it I get so mad I spent so much money on it I stop heh.

But in your case you wont need shifter parts... you have them from the altlrac tranny its already setup for fwd.

You said before you already have clutch / flywheel setup your good....

Youll need inners and you have st185 outers

If you kept all the cross member and what not I dont see that being a problem with the back mounts.. and the other mounts should work.. I dont see why it wouldnt.

your regular shifter cables should work from your gts... but I would get alltrac cables they just are easier than modifying that thing liek I had to.

but if you find a good tranny you could get it in your car for under 900 bux.

punch
06-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Heres how you guys do it get a tranny from a V6 Camry or Slora here in the states (cheaper) or JDM or a tranny from a ST206 Curren the tranny thats comes with the non turbo motor 3S-GE... that wll drop right in with no mods... No problems....

Punisher
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh really Punch.. wow amazing that was so helpful.

Moving ON...

So I guess the only way to do this is to pick up an LSD from KAAZ.. or just get an MR2 tranny w/ factory LSD.. either way I forsee the same amount of cash being spent.. 700-800 for KAAZ lsd.. + 300 for e153... or a grand (thereabouts) for an MR2 LSD tranny... lol

burnyd
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
yup... Pretty much the LSD thats in the tranny is good enough... I have never driven a car with the kaaz lsd But I can tell the the LSD In the e153 stock is very good.