PDA

View Full Version : How do we feel about Tacomas?

ciento44
05-30-2006, 02:57 AM
As a couple of you know... i have a very good chance of getting a much better job in the next two weeks. At which point, i'll be looking to get a daily driver, or to do a short fun little project before i start the long grind over the winter that will be my 3sgte swap.

It was brought to my attention that a 7mgte swap into a Toyota pickup that came with the 22re is actually quite easy. The tranny bolts up (rwd, at least), and the mounts aren't supposed to be too hard. Wiring probably won't be too pretty... but doable.

Anyways... what i'm asking, is if anyone knows of anyone that's done this, or the 1jz swap, and if they could alert me to any potential large hassles with this project? If this starts to look like it'll be a much bigger project than i thought, i'll probably wait on it, and just try to get something simpler, just to get my feet wet.

Also... anyone know of an awd tranny that could bolt up to the 1jz without MAJOR modifications? I could try to turbo a 3vz w/ awd tranny... but that's a slightly larger chunk of money than i kinda want to spend.

Thanks in advance for help. :)

TheNefariousOne
05-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Honestly, both of those projects sound MORE difficult than a 3sgte swap. With a 3s swap, mounts line up, wiring is minimal, transmission is useable, etc, etc. I could be wrong, but I think if you were looking for something easier, you'd be better off attempting the 3s swap before either of the others.

TNO

ciento44
05-30-2006, 03:10 AM
The mounts line up in this swap as well, i believe...

I wouldn't be using the tranny in my car for my 3s swap... it won't handle the power levels that i'm going to be building to. I'll also need to deal with LSD, the suspension, etc.

I'm not just doing the swap on my car... it's pretty much going to be a full-up rebuild, but this time, the way i would wanted the car to start with.

But thanks, i'll take that into consideration. :)

Blackcloud
05-30-2006, 03:54 AM
22rte?

hobbie2k
05-30-2006, 03:54 AM
A friend of mine watched a Tacoma roll 100ft down a ravine in Afghanistan. They pulled it back up with a Humvee winch and it started so they just kept going.

alltracman78
05-30-2006, 04:11 AM
yeah, them bastards are tough...

Have you thought about the 3.4?
It's as stout as the 1/2JZ....
And has more torque...
I personally would prefer that.
But it will probably be easier [as far as wiring] to do the 7mgte than the 1JZ

wizzards581
05-30-2006, 05:50 AM
is this for a sport truck project or off road project?

if off road, i perfer non turbo. if the sport truck project, turbo is best. i seen alot of 7m and i wouldnt have any problems becuz those motors are cheap and easy to get hp.

ciento44
05-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Sport truck. If there were dunes around here... i'd think about swapping a 2jz into a 4runner or something like that. But all i'm really hoping to accomplish here is a nice, surprising street truck, with some track time in the future. AWD would be nice, but like i said, more money, and probably a longer process. I'm looking to do a quick in and out on this project.

And yep, 7mgtes are pretty cheap. Much cheaper than 3sgtes, for that matter.

2003cbgts
05-30-2006, 07:50 PM
tacomas are toyotas... hey, its all in the family!!! id take one anyday

mike325ci
06-01-2006, 04:11 AM
A friend of mine watched a Tacoma roll 100ft down a ravine in Afghanistan. They pulled it back up with a Humvee winch and it started so they just kept going.
If you think that's cool, you HAVE to watch the Top Gear episode where they try to kill a Tacoma (Hilux) but can't-- they set it on fire, throw it in the sea, put it on top of a building and then implode the building, etc... Just hilarious... I'm sure you can find it on Google Vidoes/UTube, etc... :)

Personally, I'm shooting to get a Tundra as my next car / towing vehicle. :D

ciento44
06-01-2006, 04:37 AM
Yeah... the diesel hilux is awesome like that.

Gas engine never would have lived through that.