PDA

View Full Version : how long does the shine supposed to last from a good wax?

2003cbgts
05-30-2006, 12:42 AM
like this stuff im using ... it says it protects for 6 months, but the shine goes within a few weeks... so does it really work? how long does a good wax usually shine?

FWD88GT
05-30-2006, 01:06 AM
I would also like to know.

ty_44_69
05-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't know what "stuff" you are using but I would agree with how long the protection lasts....depending on how much you wash it and how long it's outside.
Either way the shine will last a while, no way to really tell it depends on the current condition of your paint, but mine looks good for a couple of days. Because the wax cleans everything up so nice it will show every single imperfection on the car. So it's kinda like a getting an ice cream cone and then being punched in the face.

Blackcloud
05-31-2006, 03:28 AM
till it goes away?

Galcobar
05-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Most of those long-term claims are based on you having your car stored in a garage, preferably sealed with a controlled environment. In the real world, the longest-lasting LSP (last step product), whether wax, acrylic, polymer or some blend of the above rarely offers meaningful protection beyond three months. And this assumes moderate conditions of temperature and weather. The more extreme the conditions, the faster the protection breaks down.

Protectants aren't really meant to make the car look good. That's the job of the clay bar, paint cleaner, polish, etc. The protectant is just that -- protection for all the work you just put into your paint. Put it another way -- polish makes your car look good, wax keeps it that way.

extremeskillz
06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Heres how i do it. once a week i wash. Paste wax once a month. polish twice a month. In between washes i use Wax as you dry to maintain wax. I use different products between armor all, black magic, mcquires for 3 staging. Interior i use only armor all for the vinyle and plastic and sometimes to shine the tires. Gel for tires i use Black Magic once a month.

extremeskillz
06-03-2006, 09:04 PM
O and winters i store my car!

Galcobar
06-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Wait, you wax your car once a month, but polish it twice? Polish removes protectants, so for half the month you're driving around with an unprotected finish -- wax as you dry is not exactly a high-durability product.

Slider
06-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Wax usually doesn't last too long. For paint protection I would use a sealant like Klasse All-In-One and then top it off with a nice wax like caranuba if you want that deep shine.

One of the longer lasting waxes I would recommend is this: http://www.ecocarcare.net/car-wax.php

extremeskillz
06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Wait, you wax your car once a month, but polish it twice? Polish removes protectants, so for half the month you're driving around with an unprotected finish -- wax as you dry is not exactly a high-durability product.

I polish by hand not machine. I wax once a month putting 3 coats down. Then i maintain it with Wax as you Dry every week after a wash. Now that i think of it i wax more then i polish. Check out the pics. My GT-S has the original paint and is shinny. Also i buff it out every once in a while by hand.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/217751

It beeds every time!