PDA

View Full Version : I Just bought a 1991 Celica GT...what to do??

mainevent177
05-29-2006, 08:02 AM
HI I have jsut purchased a 1991 Celica GT. I'm looking for advice for me as a first time owner of one of these cars...and anything else I should know. Also I am planning on modifying a lot of things whether it be putting a turbo on, changing the rims, painting the car, or adding a sound system, I would like advice/ suggestions. Please give me ideas! Point me in a direction, AND ENLIGHTEN ME WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

jjazmin
05-29-2006, 08:38 AM
post pics please!!..

Murgatroy
05-29-2006, 11:19 AM
How many miles does it have on it and what is your budget?

Those are gonna be two of your main deciding factors.

These cars are nearly indestructable, but only with proper upkeep and care.

Change your timing belt, axles, wheel bearings and make sure your power steering doesn't leak. Give your brakes a good look and get a compression check on your engine. Once the car pans out to be okay, you will have a very reliable driver with some serious potential.

For the best power extraction most ppl will swap a 3SGTE (a 2.0lt turbo charged engine) out of an Alltrac/GT4 or an MR2 Turbo. It can be pretty involved, but well worth the time and effort.

If you choose to keep your 5SFE (the 2.2lt that is in the car) there are still plenty of bolt-ons available, including turbo and supercharger kits. Just don't expect to make as much power as with a swap.

Welcome to the site, you have come to the right place. ;)

mainevent177
05-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Thank you...
What bolt-ons would you recomend?
And what about the exterior of the car..would should I do to it? any suggestions?
Last but not least any cool accessories out there?

Murgatroy
05-30-2006, 04:06 AM
What do you want to do to the exterior? There are plenty of bodykits out there, fenders, carbon fiber hoods and so forth.

As far as bolt-ons, I/H/E will net you the most until you swap or go with a turbo kit.

What type of accessories are you looking for? Cause surely, they are there.

mainevent177
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I am not sure yet what I want to do I was just looking for ideas. And I forgot to tell ytou the mileage earlier...it has 115K on the body but 30K on a new engine clutch and transmission.

2.2-Past you
06-04-2006, 02:50 AM
I was in your shoes just a couple years ago. It has been a dream getting to this point in my celica ownership, very few problems and very fond memories of my 2.2-beastly economy engine. I asked similar question and had similar aspirations, Murg is definately on point with his advice, puting a CAI in the driver fender, a custom 4-1 header and straigh 2.25" exhaust was what I did and probably still is the best bang for the buck. But the key, like Murg said "...until you swap or go with a turbo kit."
I also got some clear corners off ebay, then JDM, clear bumper lights, a short shifter and a system and that held me over for two years.

Since then, I've crept all over every 5sfe/3sgte related board until I learned enough to make a big move. That time has come and gone, as my 90 gts is being transformed into a 90 gts w/ mr2 3sgte & FWD lsd w/ ct20b as I type. In just a short few weeks my baby will have been rejuvinated into an incredible driving experience. I think this is the path most taken for gt/gts owners, going from 140 to 240 hp is a great leap, a costly leap, but imho the bestest leap!!!

I wish you the best of luck with your new toy, I hope she treats you with all the same decensy mine has faired me with. Learn as much as you can, save as much as you can and let your $$ back the right decision for you, when you find out what that is, and take your time.

Note: I dont mean to turn this into a FS thread, but I will have my 4-1 custom made 5sfe header, my (driver side fender) custom made CAI, and even a catless 2.25 exhaust available for sale in just a couple weeks here. Even my ebay corner 'diamond' corner lights will be available. As to not hi-jack this thread, please ONLY PM for details, anyone interested.

Good Luck

mainevent177
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Where can I look at headers/exhaust for sale for my car? Also would you not reccomend putting a new ECU in the car?

TEAMFaint
06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Headers for our 5SFE is grossly overpriced and I would definately not recommend picking one up for the little gains you get. (The header costs around $450 US) If you are looking for an exhaust the best thing to do is take your car to a local muffler shop and get them to build you an exhaust system from front to back. I got quoted $250 CAN for front to back with 2.5" piping (this of course is without the muffler).

If you're looking for a fun daily driver, put up an exhaust package, intake, and possibly look at getting a suspension setup; it makes the world of a difference.

Goodluck with whatever you choose, and welcome to the boards!

BEAMS
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
After owning my celica for 4 years, heres what i would do.
-keep at least a grand for repairs
-Dont spend a penny on car audio.
-Gut the entire car of useless crap, just leave the dash, hell even take out the pass seat.
-save for swap
-dont buy any sort of bodykit, paint or anything unless you get in an accident thats repairable.
-dont buy anyhting else, just save for 3sgte swap.
-after you swap, by some light weight wheels of your choice, they should weight around 10-15lbs, no more.
-get 3" exhaust, intake, mbc, and short shifter, guages.

This is my rough list, it not perfect but its close to what i will be doing to my car.

mainevent177
06-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know of any good spoilers for my car?

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 10:24 PM
ITs all personal prefrence,take a look a erebuni. but i think like BEAMS, i could care less about car audio and will never spend a penny on it, waste of money IMO. Work on preformance, not "lets make my car go boom-boom to the rap bass" But its your money and car and do what you want to it.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2654

Look at that, it has so much information and parts for celicas you'll go insane :) welcome to CTech!

xeril
06-12-2006, 07:55 AM
do suspension. no point in doing power mods if your car cant really take them. go koni yellows and ground controls.. maybe some whiteline sway bars now that they are easier to get ahold of in the states. then some nice tiressss.. you'll love it!! you'll probably wanna do a rear disc brake conversion as well.

TWM Performance
07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Thank you...
What bolt-ons would you recomend?
And what about the exterior of the car..would should I do to it? any suggestions?
Last but not least any cool accessories out there?

A couple people have mentioned this in previous posts, but be sure to check out a TWM short shifter (http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/toyotashortshifters/toyotacelicashortshifters.htm) for your Celica. The shifter makes a huge difference, especially on the 5th gen Celica since the stock shifter is far from optimal. I've even heard of shifting the 5th gen referred to as "rowing a boat" on this forum ;).

Anyway, for the improvement in feel and making the car fun to drive, I'd definitely add it to your list.

Check them out here: TWM Celica Short Shifters (http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/toyotashortshifters/toyotacelicashortshifters.htm)

Kevin
TWM Performance

NDMstang65
07-12-2006, 12:27 AM
highly reccomend the TWM shifter, put mine in a few weeks ago...made a HUGE difference

money very well spent, and a ~30min install at most

TWM Performance
07-12-2006, 04:43 PM
highly reccomend the TWM shifter, put mine in a few weeks ago...made a HUGE difference

money very well spent, and a ~30min install at most

Thanks!