PDA

View Full Version : Is a Celica targa top possible?

JDMjosh
05-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Targa top is where the whole roof banel from the windsheild to the rear window can be taken out right?

like MR2 style? Anyone ever done this to a different car? are there packages available? that'd be SOO sexy.

angryyoungnpoor
05-28-2006, 08:39 PM
It's been done.. how structuraly safe it is.. I'm not sure. A mini role cage would be good to have, as the car could split down the middle.

And yes it would look sexy if it were done right.

JDMjosh
05-28-2006, 08:54 PM
nice nice. i'd DEFINATELY get a roll cage. I was thinkin just get a few spare roofs (rooves?) and a top from a 300zx or mr2 or soemthing to salvage the seals and brackets and latches.

hobbie2k
05-29-2006, 02:39 AM
it could certainly be done (fairly easy, actually), but I guarantee it will rattle, it will leak, you'll probably run into some rust problems sooner. Your handling will suffer dramatically. The car won't be as *safe* as it was.

I'd take a look at the structural reinforcement that was done to the convertible versions and try to mimmick that if it's economical, if not, maybe go for a roll cage that connects the A, B, and C pillars to the strut towers and floorpan. That should help preserve your rigidity and keep squeaks, leaks, and rattles to a minimum.

hobbie2k
05-29-2006, 02:43 AM
another possibility to keep cost, weight, and complexity down is to just remove the top permanently, (since a custom T-top probably won't fit and seal properly anyway) and them maybe get a fabric cover for emergency use.

It won't be a daily driver anymore, though.

Murgatroy
05-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I came to tell the reasons why it shouldn't be done... And it shouldn't...

But what if you started with a `Vert?

It is already structurally sound without a top.

90CelicaST
05-29-2006, 02:04 PM
It HAS been done.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/Targa.jpg
What they did to it, is beyond my knowledge.

Cavanagh
06-02-2006, 11:40 AM
hmmmm i thought targa meant it had an all glass roof.

ciento44
06-02-2006, 03:02 PM
In Porsche's case, yeah. :p

Fuelish
06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Dang, that looks right nice !!!!! Would be a nice unique way to mod one's Celi.
It HAS been done.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/Targa.jpg
What they did to it, is beyond my knowledge.

burnyd
06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
yah sure would be cool till you get really bad frame damage.... I wouldnt do it... but it would be fairly simple to do.

JDMjosh
06-04-2006, 09:51 AM
aw man, that's EXACTLY what i had in mind. Thanks for finding that pic 90CelicaST.

as soon as i had this idea, i decided right away that roll cage is %100 necessary. as for leaks, hell, my 87 GT-S already leaks from the top of the windsheild when it rains or i wash it, so what the hell.

if i do a good enough job (or get a good enough job done FOR me) i will be ok.

i'm adding this to the 'List of Things To Do When I Can Finally Afford It'

hobbie2k
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
hmmmm i thought targa meant it had an all glass roof.

Actually, the first "targa" roofs were cloth tops to cover a hole cut in the roof. Like on some old Fiats, or VWs, or BMWs...

Cavanagh
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
OOOH, cause i was confused by why he wanted an all glass/ clothed topped celica lol

JDMjosh
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Haha.. that'd be kinda sexy too...

But for the trouble, open top MR2 style would be way more sexy.

Disco Dan
06-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm fairly certain that structural integrity wouldn't be a HUGE issue. Most of the people who claim that the convertible can't handle high speeds or great handling haven't actually owned one themselves *cough*punisher*cough* and my experience with my 'vert has shown me otherwise. In any case, the main reinforcement that the convertible receives is in the form of a fairly thick multi-layered 'bar' (I say bar but it's not a very standard shape) that runs between the tops of the two rear strut towers, basically where the front of the trunk is. Other than that, there's a little beefing up in the rear quarter panels, but most of that is sheet metal anyway.

Anyway, point is, I think you'd be fairly safe in attempting this without having to fabricate too much in the way of extra reinforcement. I personally don't like the look of extra pipes and such running around the interior, though if you want a roll cage, go for it.

JDMjosh
06-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah, it crossed my mind, that roll cages are obtuse and in the way... they look 'racey' and might lend some credibility to the look of everything.. but standard roll cages might even defeat the purpose of taking the roof out in the first place... maybe a guy could get one made for him.. at the very minimum, running the twin, center, overhead bars down the middle of the roof... almost 'T' roof style...

hmmm... well, if i can sell my spare engine quick enough before i need to pay for something else, it might get done by next summer.

hobbie2k
06-07-2006, 04:48 AM
I'm fairly certain that structural integrity wouldn't be a HUGE issue. Most of the people who claim that the convertible can't handle high speeds or great handling haven't actually owned one themselves *cough*punisher*cough* and my experience with my 'vert has shown me otherwise. In any case, the main reinforcement that the convertible receives is in the form of a fairly thick multi-layered 'bar' (I say bar but it's not a very standard shape) that runs between the tops of the two rear strut towers, basically where the front of the trunk is. Other than that, there's a little beefing up in the rear quarter panels, but most of that is sheet metal anyway.

Anyway, point is, I think you'd be fairly safe in attempting this without having to fabricate too much in the way of extra reinforcement. I personally don't like the look of extra pipes and such running around the interior, though if you want a roll cage, go for it.

There should be more reinforcement than that in the verts. I never owned a Celica vert, but I have owned a 240SX vert (and both cars' conversions were performed by the same company, I'm pretty sure). The 240SX got that rear strut brace and the beefier rear quarters that you were talking about, but it also got a stronger A-pillar (to help in a rollover) as well as a lot of floorpan and tranny tunnel reinforcement (since the floorpan and tunnel are all that connect the front and rear).

For your rollcage issues, I'd at least go for a half cage along the B-pillar and roof (that way it's there in case of rollover, but is still hidden when the top's off). Then I'd look into reinforcing the floor pan.

JDMjosh
06-08-2006, 01:45 AM
sounds like something i oughtta do to the 89' (if i want the targa top, which i do) while i have it stripped.

also, on a side note, it sounds expensive. but like i said, i'm thinking long term. if it takes me a few years to build this car back up, so be it.

the A pillar is up and around the windsheild correct?...

T-spoon
06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
factory verts and t-top/targa are heavier than solid roof counterparts because they've already beefed up the chassy to account for the huge loss of rigidity. I don't believe it's legal to modify a coupe in that fashion, I'm pretty sure there are even resrictions on how large of a sunroof you can add.

Azzazzyn
06-08-2006, 09:50 PM
then he should buy a vert and turn it into a targa, no? Less fab and it could theoretically cost less and be easier to do, alot easier

T-spoon
06-08-2006, 09:57 PM
then he should buy a vert and turn it into a targa, no? Less fab and it could theoretically cost less and be easier to do, alot easier

Actually, a good fabricator could take a donor coupe, slice off the top and weld it onto a vert and convert that to targa. You'd probably have a lot fewer issues than a coupe/hatch converted to targa for the rigidity issues mentioned, the seals wouldn't be tweaked on as much, etc. It would be a better car, but take longer etc. Doing things right is often not the short-term easiest route as we all know.

Azzazzyn
06-08-2006, 10:00 PM
yay for me beign right for once w00t

JDMjosh
06-09-2006, 02:30 AM
yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh riiiiiiiiiiight.

maybe i WILL sell my Celica that i've put thousands and thousands of dollars, hundreds and hundreds of hours of labour and concern, and litres of blood and sweat into.. and with the large amount of money i receive from the sale (book value of 87 Celica's in Canada is AMAZING!) i shall buy a NEW CONVERTIBLE 4th Gen Celica with which I am unfamiliar and unconfident and not knowing what's been replaced or what's wrong with it or who's been driving it or what's happened to it or where it's been.

(that is, after i FIND one. because i've never actually SEEN a convertible 4th Gen in MY LIFE. ever.)
(it'd be like seeing a DeLorean with a rice wing & Ractive exhaust.)

(or a golf cart powered by vegetable oil that runs low 10's.)

all this, so i can saw off the top half of my 2nd Celica (thereby making it a parts-car/useless) and weld it to the bottom half of my new convertible 4th Gen Celica(which are readily available in Canada)! :D

and who knows! :) if i fail, (cause i do this all the time) i'll have ZERO Celicas/2 parts cars.

sarcasm is the closest thing to slapping you silly right now....

LOL, geezuz...

ANYWAY.... a re-inforced, targa-top Celica still wouldn't out-weigh a GT4 or All-Trac, and if it did, it wouldn't be by much. Not too concerned about it.;)

JDMjosh
06-09-2006, 02:40 AM
p.s. it won't be the first illegal thing i've driven/done. i shall roll with the punches.

besides, if the targa cut and seal was done properly and painted up before it was driven, i highly doubt a traffic cop would notice it wasn't factory or even know what targa means.

p.p.s. one of the most un-intelligent men i've ever met in my [B]LIFE was a guy named Darrin who worked on my crew a few summers ago renovating houses. he was dumb as a brick, broke shit and thought it was funny while brushing the incidents off and couldn't follow directions if they consisted of "Wipe." and they were written on toilet paper and stapled to his hand.

i was 22 at the time. he was 30. i ended up telling him to go home one day. and home he went.

what does he do for a living these days?

CITY COP in Edmonton, Alberta...

i heard about his posting yesterday... thought it was funny enough to share. :P:P:P

mtp_69_i
06-09-2006, 03:40 AM
wtf?

JDMjosh
06-09-2006, 07:56 AM
you can't figure out what the fuck?

try reading the posts before mine..

if you still can't gather... then 'wtf' indeed.

pretty sure it made sense although my replies weren't directed at the EXACT individuals that wrote the original posts.

no hate. only love.. let's be clear on that.

JDMjosh
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
and on another note.. do you know how many interior issues one would have after welding an entire ROOF onto a convertible Celica?... talk about custom fabricating.

this whole idea is preposterous. laughably so..

i may as well buying and chopping front ends from 95 SUPRA'S and welding em to the front of my 87.

much love.. but sheesh. the targa's been done before.. and it WILL.. be done again.

mtp_69_i
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
wtf?
:squint:

Colossus20v
06-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Josh, chill out a little bit. All Azz, and T-Spoon were saying is to keep the rigity and well funcitonal car would be to tkae a convertible because it has to structural integrity stock, and then slap a roof from a coupe on it. They weren't saying that you have to do it. Just saying that would be the best way to do it.

Yeah its not feesible, but it would be the best way in their minds. Its your car do as you wish, but you came off as being really defensive. Its all good buddy.

I personally would like to do t-tops. I have a design and some ideas for it, but wont do it until my celica isnt my primary car.

EDIT: Also MURG suggested the idea as well.

Azzazzyn
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
also, why the fuck would you chop your other car, does canada not have things called junkyards? down here in the states, thats where wrecked cars go and then they let the general public come in and pick apart cars all by themselves, and other junkyards do it for you. Canada is weird.

T-spoon
06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh riiiiiiiiiiight.

maybe i WILL sell my Celica that i've put thousands and thousands of dollars, hundreds and hundreds of hours of labour and concern, and litres of blood and sweat into.. and with the large amount of money i receive from the sale (book value of 87 Celica's in Canada is AMAZING!) i shall buy a NEW CONVERTIBLE 4th Gen Celica with which I am unfamiliar and unconfident and not knowing what's been replaced or what's wrong with it or who's been driving it or what's happened to it or where it's been.

(that is, after i FIND one. because i've never actually SEEN a convertible 4th Gen in MY LIFE. ever.)
(it'd be like seeing a DeLorean with a rice wing & Ractive exhaust.)

(or a golf cart powered by vegetable oil that runs low 10's.)

all this, so i can saw off the top half of my 2nd Celica (thereby making it a parts-car/useless) and weld it to the bottom half of my new convertible 4th Gen Celica(which are readily available in Canada)! :D

and who knows! :) if i fail, (cause i do this all the time) i'll have ZERO Celicas/2 parts cars.

sarcasm is the closest thing to slapping you silly right now....

LOL, geezuz...

ANYWAY.... a re-inforced, targa-top Celica still wouldn't out-weigh a GT4 or All-Trac, and if it did, it wouldn't be by much. Not too concerned about it.;)

If you don't want to hear it, don't ask for advice.

Murgatroy
06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Didn't I mention the convertable idea in like the 3rd or 4th post?

T-spoon
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM

Yep. I guess that makes THREE of us idiots. :hehe:

JDMjosh
06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
yeah, you did. and noone replied until the 19th post. and it wasn't a reply. someone brought it up again, instead of you.

Josh, chill out a little bit. All Azz, and T-Spoon were saying is to keep the rigity and well funcitonal car would be to tkae a convertible because it has to structural integrity stock, and then slap a roof from a coupe on it. They weren't saying that you have to do it. Just saying that would be the best way to do it.

Yeah its not feesible, but it would be the best way in their minds. Its your car do as you wish, but you came off as being really defensive. Its all good buddy.

I personally would like to do t-tops. I have a design and some ideas for it, but wont do it until my celica isnt my primary car.

EDIT: Also MURG suggested the idea as well. yeah, sorry if i came off as defensive, but i wanted to be %100 clear on how unfeasible, illogical & plain rediculous that idea was.... maybe if i already OWNED a vert Celica, i'd consider it. like i said, i've never even SEEN one in Canada.

also, why the fuck would you chop your other car, does canada not have things called junkyards? down here in the states, thats where wrecked cars go and then they let the general public come in and pick apart cars all by themselves, and other junkyards do it for you. Canada is weird.are you actually serious? yes. yes we do have wreckers here. i've been wandering around in em since i was 4.

sp you're suggesting to me that i go buy ANOTHER Celica for just the roof?... or.. go to a boneyard with a plasma cutter in my pocket and grab another roof?

nice.

Yep. I guess that makes THREE of us idiots. :hehe:

interesting concept.

this fucking thread got turned into a circus..

i was putting together a great, logical plan for this targa top till this whole 'vert thing came up.

fine. it's more structurally sound to begin with.

fine, i should go find one. woop dee doo. not gonna happen.

you proved your point that it's a stronger option.

and i proved my point it's a stupid idea.

enough.

T-spoon
06-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh nevermind, what's the point..

Murgatroy
06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Josh. Calm down. This is a discussion forum. Not a name calling match. We offered constructive criticism and you got on the defensive and started attacking.

That is not the appropriate way to act. Especially considering that 3 of the 4 you are attacking are MODERATORS of this website.

If you are going to cut the top out of your Celica that you just poured all this work into, be prepared to put either a full roll cage in it, or have it collapse and lose all your work when you have to take it to the wrecker yard that you have spent time in since you were 4. That is not advice, that is fact.

If a person is going to attempt a Targa top, the only way it will be structurally sound, is if they begin with a car that does not rely on the roof structure to support the weight of the car! Period.

If this car means so much to you, do not butcher it to make it unique and cool. Do it properly.

JDMjosh
06-10-2006, 12:33 AM
fair enough. i apologize and digress.

buying a vert is not an option. however reinforcing mine to vert standards is.

i do want this targa top in time, and intend to pull it off. i'm now, %100 certain that, with reinforcing in the exact places needed and a sound roll cage, the car could be targa top and be even stronger than a vert Celica.

i know this car is a uni-body and as such needs the roof for structural reasons. matching my underbody and the rest of the frame to convertible standards should, in proven theory, allow parts of my roof to be removed..

it's alot of work.. but less than seeking out a vert Celica.

i was legitimately peeved when one, after another, after another put their 2 cents in about getting a vert. but, i was peeved off that day before i even logged on. other issues in life shouldn't have an impact on how i speak in this forum.. so for that.. sorry guys.

i need this place just as bad as everyone else. if not more...

and yeah, i've been wandering around auto wreckers since i was 4. i've got oil stains in osh kosh jump suit to this day. my Celica is my life. at least a cornerstone of it..

i come to CelicaTech for help and i offer mine anytime i can.

Murgatroy
06-10-2006, 12:54 AM
That is better. And good luck. Take lots of pictures and keep everyone informed of how it goes. :bigthumbu

JDMjosh
06-10-2006, 02:21 AM
wrd. anybody got a plasma cutter on them?

alltracman78
06-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Thanks everyone for settling this without alot of hullabaloo. :)

Cavanagh
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
wouldn't it be easier just to no targa it?

acidice333
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
This woulda been cool
http://www.celicas.co.uk/Celica_Deck_Concept.jpg
http://www.celicas.co.uk/Celica_Deck_Concept2.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=2000_toyota_celica_cruising_deck-1.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=2000_toyota_celica_cruising_deck-2.jpg
http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/concept/cruise2.jpg
http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/concept/cruise3.jpg

2kSnakEater
06-13-2006, 12:21 AM
so he's never seen a 4th Gen vert?I have one sitting in my garage right now! Il post pics!

2kSnakEater
06-13-2006, 12:21 AM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/2kSnakeater/CelicaFRH.jpg

acidice333
06-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Convertibles suck especially soft tops.. Them hard tops in newer cars are so sexy.. But I still love targa tops

JDMjosh
06-13-2006, 01:48 AM
i've seen that 6th Gen vert/elcamino/truck thing before... it' pretty sweet.. like.. 80's style sweet, but sweet nonetheless. imagine the possibilities.. :P and that back door/hatch thing is AWESOME.

it's AWD too, if i remember correct.

And to Cavanaugh, maybe. maybe not. in my case, not. what's the point of doing anything custom to a ride if you dont have vision for it and the follow through to do it properly...

and.. technically.. drifting would be safer if you didn't do it also. ;)
www.wreckedexotics.com
that's why %95 of totalled off SKylines are wrapped around trees or poles. but it's still fun as F.

JDMjosh
06-13-2006, 01:51 AM
and now that i think of it, i've seen a bunch of drifting vids with chopped-top and t roof 240sx's.. some with the rear hatch completely taken out and replaced with steel framing and plexiglass. roll cages and reinforcing. they seem to drift fine without bending in half. some are street legal also.