PDA

View Full Version : amsoil.... whats the deal with the people that use it?

Lagos
05-27-2006, 05:32 AM
so i was talking to this guy who owns a truck. he was going off about all the benefits of amsoil and how amazing it is. better the sliced breat and all that BS at 7$ a bottle. then i started to tell him that i dont trust it because everyone who ever tired to tell me about the stuff has been a sales guy for it.... next thing i know... HE IS ONE! ..lol whats the deal with these people? i have never met anyone who uses the stuff and isint trying to sell it or turn anyone on to it.

Playfortoday
05-27-2006, 05:45 AM
I have actually never heard about it.

Luis C
05-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Its supposed to be the dogs balls of engine oils. 100% REAL synthetic oil, no re-engineered dino oil whatsoever (or at least thats what they claim)

celica9303
05-27-2006, 09:15 AM
my friend ran it in his old tercel....why i have no clue its a 3ee engine(correct me if im wrong) not powerful and well its a tercel. granted its a tercel but its still a toyota he was still god with that. he also had 17's and a wing but it didnt look bad if i can find pics ill post them if you want... it kinda reminded my of a hotwheels car or an oversized shopping cart. but now he has a TC he liked it untill the tercel started blowing blue smoke (allso had a hotshots header and 2.5 inch exhust)

Lagos
05-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Its supposed to be the dogs balls of engine oils. 100% REAL synthetic oil, no re-engineered dino oil whatsoever (or at least thats what they claim)

thats the thing. all those crazy claims are alwasy made by someone trying to sell you the stuff. its only engine oil for crying out loud. there is only so much it can do for you thats better then normal oils. but wait till you run into one of their recruited sales guys, and they will fill up a msg board with all kinds of crazy claims.

NDMstang65
05-27-2006, 05:59 PM
i'm a firm believer in amsoil...

we did a complete changeover in our rollback, picked up 1.2mpg but the biggest difference was the transmission temperature, used to run down the road with petroleum based stuff in it and you couldn't put your hand on the shifter without it being uncomfortably hot after driving 3 hours or so on a road trip...now the shifter stays cool no matter how long you drive it after changing over

another instance...had well over 180,000 miles on a 6cyl (think it was the 210 if my memory serves me correctly) ford engine that came out of a falcon that had the amsoil bypass system put on it after it was broken in with regular oil...took it apart, clean as a pin and had the wear that typical 20,000 mile engines have on them

i'm a firm believer, but there are many skeptics on the advantages of it...mainly due to some of the bullslip that the marketing guys do spew :) if i wouldn't have had witnessed them myself with my own eyes i wouldnt believe in it

Lagos
05-27-2006, 06:24 PM
i'm a firm believer in amsoil...

we did a complete changeover in our rollback, picked up 1.2mpg but the biggest difference was the transmission temperature, used to run down the road with petroleum based stuff in it and you couldn't put your hand on the shifter without it being uncomfortably hot after driving 3 hours or so on a road trip...now the shifter stays cool no matter how long you drive it after changing over

another instance...had well over 180,000 miles on a 6cyl (think it was the 210 if my memory serves me correctly) ford engine that came out of a falcon that had the amsoil bypass system put on it after it was broken in with regular oil...took it apart, clean as a pin and had the wear that typical 20,000 mile engines have on them

i'm a firm believer, but there are many skeptics on the advantages of it...mainly due to some of the bullslip that the marketing guys do spew :) if i wouldn't have had witnessed them myself with my own eyes i wouldnt believe in it

perfect. just the type of guy i was looking for. now for my question...

are you one of their sales reps or in any way, shape, or form connected to the company or get special discounts for recomending it or anything like that?

=cJ=
05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
**pulls up a chair and popcorn...**

Luis C
05-28-2006, 06:31 AM

are you one of their sales reps or in any way, shape, or form connected to the company or get special discounts for recomending it or anything like that?

Beat me to it :)

JDMjosh
05-28-2006, 07:57 PM
$5 says he is...

I have a friend who dirtbikes for Honda. He used amsoil in his bike. He uses it because it's 'race' oil. And he uses it because he doesn't pay for it.

When i worked at an oil change chain called Great Canadian Oil Change a.k.a. the G-Coc, and the chain's house oil was amsoil. House oil is the generic shit that came out of the nozzle if the customer didn't specify a different brand.

I remember askin about it when I started... and I was told that yeah, it's %100 Synthetic oil. Geared toward performance. Long life. All that jazz.

So because after hours we got good deals on oil changes (paying for just the oil at cost) I figured why not. My New Yorker uses oil anyways. So I used Amsoil in an oil change and I haven't noticed much difference. Except for MAYBE my oil stays cleaner for a bit longer. Oil consumtion stayed about the same.

I've heard arguements for and agains synthetic oil.. but honestly, i've heard more AGAINST %100 synthetic. I use partial in my cars now.

And no. I don't sell Amsoil... i wish i DID.. CAUSE I'D GET THE SHIT FO' FREE!!

So in closing? Amsoil's great for two or four stoke engines.. :D

Playfortoday
05-28-2006, 08:53 PM
How in the hell do they find threqads that fast. This alone convinced me I will never use it.

Blackcloud
05-29-2006, 01:25 AM
alot of guys around here sell it..

all ive heard is good things..... but ive never known if people uptalking it is a salesman or not..

celicasteve
05-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Well i can tell you that my dad uses amsoil in his auto tranny and rear end in his drag car, it runs 10.5 at 130mph with a small block 360 (no nitrous, all motor and a stock short block at that) and at 3100#. he likes it alot. But he runs mobil 1 synthetic in his engine. now alittle backround on him. he has been a mechanic for over30 yrs. when the dodge viper came out he was the only one with in 200 miles that was certified to work on them, also he was asked to be on the 1 lap of america with the viper team. (couln't leave 2 kids and a wife for 6 months) he is not a seller for it (he is still a mechanic...well after he was a service manager for 8 years (to much stress)

now also he gets the hynduia tranny stuff for free and its synthetic he is going to run that in his tranny next time he rebuilds it....

Steve

celicasteve
05-29-2006, 02:47 AM
and o , synthetic is better than oil....i run mobil 1 in my race car and noticed a huge difference in idling 300rpm or more (it doesn't stick to the crank and stuff as easily) the engine runs smoother...also it has over 200k miles on it came out of a dodge van that towed a 20ft camper to alaska every year from daytona beach! and it still doesn't burn oil. ( i just started using synthetic this season)

people that say you'll blow you motor up, or damage ti fo rever! if you run synthetic after running dino-oil are idots...sorry its just rediculous!!!

whats even better i think is the purple stuff...royal purple!! ive heard alot of good stuff from people that don't sell it.

Steve

Lagos
05-29-2006, 03:01 AM
How in the hell do they find threqads that fast. This alone convinced me I will never use it.

im telling you, these guys are worse then jehovah's witnesses. they find you, they know your home, and they will convert you! hahaha

NDMstang65
05-29-2006, 10:57 PM

Shoot no man, i'm a stereo/car audio/electronics guy - dad owns a paint and body shop and we do work whenever we get a chance... Visit the forums on http://www.termpro.com i'm a mod in the spl section, and i'm really just now getting back into the car scene. Been big into car stereo competition since i was a freshman in highschool...

Not affiliated iwth the company in any way shape or form (i'm a broke college student that works at a papermill during the summer), i was skeptical...we tried it and it made a difference. If you think i'm a rep for the company...that's fine - I don't care, i'm just a very satisfied customer.

The only thing negative that the switch over did do...it did make the seal on the punkin on the rollback's rearend leak a little bit, and like every 454 or big block engine it does use a little bit of oil...there's no stopping that

Sorry i didnt get back to answer sooner, i'm on daylight this week at the papermill and helpin a buddy out with his integra after i get off. Snapped a cam at the drag strip last week...fool needs to learn how to drive and shift sooner :lolhittin

NDMstang65
05-29-2006, 11:08 PM

See above :)

Don't assume anything...just because i'm a new member here :bigthumbu

MrWOT
05-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Snapped a cam at the drag strip last week...fool needs to learn how to drive and shift sooner

.... I fail to see the relation :??:

NDMstang65
05-30-2006, 02:11 AM
.... I fail to see the relation :??:

Oh how i love forums...and the instant sarcasm/attitude that comes towards all new members...'this dude is a n00b...he cant possibly know what he's talking about...he must be a rep for that company or the industry.. he said something good about them..blah blah blah' :slap:
was just saying i havent had time to reply to the thread...and thats one of the reasons...(overrevved it, missed a gear..bad things happen)

To furthur prove i'm not an amsoil rep...the 87 thunderbird turbo coupe my mom bought about 9 years ago now has 231,xxx miles on it...and has had Mobil in it since 10,000 miles...no signs of stopping anytime soon...

My dad's daily driver is a 90 jeep cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6cyl...bought it off of the back lot 3 years ago now - construction worker traded it in and his company ran mobil synthetics in their heavy machinery...used it in his jeep. Sits in the driveway right now with 253,xxx miles on it, runs like a top! The valvecover gasket is shot on it...leaks like a siv!

The company i work for during the summertime - MeadWestvaco uses Mobil exclusively on the papermachines....if that stuff is good enough to use on those machines to outweigh the additional cost vs. downtime i think it's good enough to run in a car. If the paper machine is down, we loose 20,000 dollars a hour. The machine runs 24/7...never stops until we have a scheduled shut down which is roughly a 48 hour shut down 1 time a month to replace broken parts....unless it is the big shut down that happens 1 entire week a year that a whole lot of roll replacing is done...

I see it used and abused HARD every day...if it works good in the extreme conditions that i see...its damn sure good enough for a car (after it is broke in of course) :) Synthetics are a good thing, weather you want to believe it or not.

The man asked for information from a real world basis, i gave it to him from my PERSONAL experience. However by me being a 'n00b' i'm automatically branded as being a rep or affiliated with the company...

I appreciate the warm welcome guys, next time don't assume and make an ass out of both you and me.

To the posters who were concerned with the topic - i hope that answers some of your questions.

NDMstang65
05-30-2006, 02:47 AM
$5 says he is...

I'll give you my address. :bigthumbu :laugh: :laugh: :wiggle:

MrWOT
05-30-2006, 04:37 AM
Holy crap man, relax! I meant I fail to see how learning how to shift properly caused your friend to break his cam. I've never had one break except when a distributor gear siezed.

jaded_driver
05-30-2006, 05:05 AM
I remember askin about it when I started... and I was told that yeah, it's %100 Synthetic oil. Geared toward performance. Long life. All that jazz.

I've heard arguements for and agains synthetic oil.. but honestly, i've heard more AGAINST %100 synthetic. I use partial in my cars now.

And no. I don't sell Amsoil... i wish i DID.. CAUSE I'D GET THE SHIT FO' FREE!!

If you want some concrete proof that synthetic is better read SCC Oct issue of like 04 i think. Can't really remember off my head but it isn't hard to find. They did a super extensive testing on several oils and just a "common" synthetic oil.

Its the pwnz!

Sean
05-30-2006, 06:18 AM
I like the new guy :)

Murgatroy
05-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Nah, the Mustang dude has been here for a bit, I have been communicating with him via PM about performance options for his ST.

I vouch for him, he is not an Amsoil Rep, or if he is, he has been a sleeper waiting for the right moment to strike.

Cavanagh
05-30-2006, 06:40 AM
NDMtsang65,
No one is acting like you don't know what your talking about....just cause your newer doesn't mean we're treating you differently.

BTW-WOT-Dogg aka Mr.Wot just didn't understand how he snapped a cam by overevving, he wasn't trying to make you look dumb.

NDMstang65
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Didn't think he was making me look dumb :)

I was referring to the 'oh look..new guy...he reps for this company'

:)

To work i go, you'll get to know me...i plan on sticking around

Playfortoday
05-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't get too sensitive. This board isn't anti noob. It was just funny that your first post was about amsoil and your user name has "stang: on a celica website. People assumed that you were trolling search engine for the mention of amsoil in a car forum. Now, that murg cleared it up and that you own a celica, it make a lot more sense to us. Welcome to the site.

Azzazzyn
05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
yeah, nobody is beign hard on you, I haven't sunken my teeth into you yet, but I will.

Azzazzyn
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
on a side note, completely OT, how did the fuckign dixie chicks get on vh1's top 20, at number 6, wtf dixie chicks suck ass.

Playfortoday
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
on a side note, completely OT, how did the fuckign dixie chicks get on vh1's top 20, at number 6, wtf dixie chicks suck ass.

Whoring belongs in OT.;)

NDMstang65
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Don't get too sensitive. This board isn't anti noob. It was just funny that your first post was about amsoil and your user name has "stang: on a celica website. People assumed that you were trolling search engine for the mention of amsoil in a car forum. Now, that murg cleared it up and that you own a celica, it make a lot more sense to us. Welcome to the site.

haha werd

i'm proud of my mustang :)...i just cant afford to build it the way i want to build it (needa run up on 35 grand sitting around somewhere..)

So the celica it is for now :D

COLDAX
06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
My celi has almost 200,000 miles using dino oil. I'd be afraid to switch now.

JDMjosh
06-04-2006, 10:01 AM
If you want some concrete proof that synthetic is better read SCC Oct issue of like 04 i think. Can't really remember off my head but it isn't hard to find. They did a super extensive testing on several oils and just a "common" synthetic oil.

Its the pwnz!
Nice guy. I'll track that down... these questions need answering... dammit.

My celi has almost 200,000 miles using dino oil. I'd be afraid to switch now.
Yeah, I DEF. wouldn't switch now... from what i've gathered in the past few years, is a new engine is best broken in with normal, high quality, dinosaur bone-y, mineral oil. THEN, once broken in, switch to synthetic, if that's the route you wanna take.

My dad switched to synthetic in an Oldsmobile he had years ago when the engine was on 160,000 ish kilometres. I recall he started using oil after the switch... :ugh:

MCcelica
06-04-2006, 02:16 PM
My car was using dino oil untill around 75k miles. At that point I decided to switch to the "High Mileage" synthetic. It's at a little above 107k miles and it seems to be doing fine...but then it has been VERY well taken care of up to this point in every aspect.