PDA

View Full Version : Considering a MR2

Tommy91GT
01-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I know that there are a decent amount of MR2 owners here on the board so I gotta ask. I am concidering buying a MR2, most likely around 90-91 body style. I have come across about 4-5 here for sale. What should I look for? What are the common problems associatedwith them? Thanks for the help.

Luni
01-10-2005, 04:55 PM
MR2s are basically bulletproof. Hardly anything major goes wrong with these cars, especially the naturally aspirated ones, unless theyíve been modified, abused or neglected. However, there are a few potential problem areas.
The most expensive trouble spot on an otherwise healthy Turbo is the turbocharger itself. Toyota charges enough for a new one that nobody would bother. Rebuilding the stock turbo, typically every 65,000-80,000 miles, costs about $500. Upgrading the Toyota unit is expensive enough to justify switching to a new, more modern design. The airflow sensor may also go bad, often causing problems only intermittently, and typically costs $600.
On T-top cars especially, check the interior carefully for signs of water damage from leaking window seals. The parking brake cables have rubber dust boots at the caliper ends that are usually rotted. Water can enter these and freeze, locking the parking brake on. Some people drive on regardless, with ugly results.
Beyond these points, inspect the car thoroughly. Be certain every electrical item functions, all the levers unlatch their openings and that all trim is present and in good condition. Toyota parts that are not standard service items can be expensive. Get underneath the car and check for bends from accidents or scrapes from possible off-road excursions. In the absence of poor accident repairs, corrosion is unlikely to be a problem except in the saltiest of winter states.
*taken from an exerpt of a thread on www.mr2oc.com (http://www.mr2oc.com)* you might want to go register there and read up.

Tommy91GT
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Kewl, thanks gor the help.