PDA

View Full Version : Scion tC

ty_44_69
05-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Anyone witnessed a supercharged Scion tC yet? Just wondering how they perform especially compaired to a swap.
Also I can't find any info on the engine being used in the tC.

Murgatroy
05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
It is a Camry Engine. I have heard good things about the SCed TC, but I have yet to witness one.

angryyoungnpoor
05-26-2006, 08:45 AM
The car will put out about 200 hp with the supercharger in a car that weighs a good 2 to 300 more pounds. Probably a little more. A swap would still own. My bud is thinking about doing it to his.

bloodredgt
05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
I have experienced a turbo charged scion tc. It was very fast. I'm guessing it was as fast as a bpu++ supra. Surprising when the power came in too. Right around mid-range the turbo spooled and the car took off.

ciento44
05-26-2006, 03:06 PM
There's a couple vids on streetfire of a Turbo TC at the drag strip, amazing car. And there's one destroying an STi from a roll on, which was highly amusing to me as well.

MCcelica
05-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I saw a supercharged tc rape an integra with a K20 swap, but the integra was naturally aspirated so...duh i guess. Then they both got pulled over. Hahahaha.

Lagos
05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Anyone witnessed a supercharged Scion tC yet? Just wondering how they perform especially compaired to a swap.
Also I can't find any info on the engine being used in the tC.

the trd charger is a nice option to make more factory power, but it would not stand a chance against a swaped celica.

Morwan
05-27-2006, 04:13 PM
A supercharged tC is still slower than a Civic Si.

Edmunds Review (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=108776)

JDMjosh
05-27-2006, 10:39 PM
are you an idiot? according to the WORDS that you had to actually READ in that write-up, the Tc has 3 more horsepower than the Civic Si and 45 more foot lbs of torque.

the quarter mile times were identical. the only thing that was actually SLOWER about the Tc was the slalom times... one point five seconds to be exact. on a BIGGER, WIDER & HEAVIER car.

"With a limited-slip splitting up the torque, there's no doubt that the tC would be quicker, but as of right now, Scion doesn't offer one."

And it has no LSD tranny....

plus the TRD supercharger package is the SLOWEST.. of the many boost packages available for this car.

Awww.. i bet you were all excited and proud of yourself to have written such an 'informative' post. Good for you. ;)

Morwan
05-27-2006, 10:46 PM
are you an idiot? according to the WORDS that you had to actually READ in that write-up, the Tc has 3 more horsepower than the Civic Si and 45 more foot lbs of torque.
Weight > horsepower.

I was basing my speed on Car & Driver's test. Also, their car had $3,000 of other options (like the sport suspension) in addition to the modifications, pushing the MSRP to $26k. Considering you could get a WRX for $24k, and that the Si equals or exceeds its performance at $20k, that's a terrible deal.

"With a limited-slip splitting up the torque, there's no doubt that the tC would be quicker, but as of right now, Scion doesn't offer one."

And it has no LSD tranny....

plus the TRD supercharger package is the SLOWEST.. of the many boost packages available for this car.
Too bad either of those would void your powertrain warranty, and push the price even higher. By the time you finished with those mods, you could've bought yourself an STi.

You even said it yourself: the tC is fat and wide. If you're going to modify a new car, you should pick a better platform.

Cavanagh
05-27-2006, 11:17 PM
:owned:

presure2
05-28-2006, 12:03 AM
the turbonetics turbo kit is the way to go on the TC IMO...260whp+ would put you on the winning end of most basic swappers.

JDMjosh
05-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Yeah, it only has 3 more HP than the Civic Si YET... it still had identical 1/4 mile track times. So, bigger & wider.. yet pretty much just as fast. I don't buy cars because they slalom quicker... although yes, it would be one factor if i HAD the kind of cash to buy a brand new car.

You've proven your point as soon as you bring up the STi. I'd buy that car above both the other, hands down. There's no engine noise like horizontally oposed engine noise.

But in truth, I think the Tc is fucking sexy and if i needed a new car, and I was a few bucks short, I still wouldn't buy the Si.. i'd just save longer.

I'd buy a Toyota leafblower over a Honda if Toyota actually made them.

JDMjosh
05-28-2006, 07:30 AM
That's funny I don't FEEL owned... but I would if i bought a fucking Honda Civic Si.

vip09
05-28-2006, 07:39 AM
After a few more runs down the drag strip, we nail the launch and click off a 7.2-second 0-to-60 time and a 15.1-second quarter-mile.

That's pathetic. I ran a 14.7 in my '01 celica gt-s stock.

elektrateq
05-28-2006, 08:17 AM
That's funny I don't FEEL owned... but I would if i bought a fucking Honda Civic Si.

fuck right!

The tc gets a fuck load more style points too. It's not all about the cash. In speed per dollar amount a Hummer would be the worst choice ever. I'd gladly pay another 6k or so for a Toy! (and not for something that is safer for hitting pedestrians)

JDMjosh
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Oh man... exactly! That car is real sexy. And it's got a ton of potential... I'd buy one.

Or maybe even a Scion xB.. and that thing probably does 0 - 60 in a WEEKEND. But it's cool looking!! **Just add 20"s.

ty_44_69
05-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Or maybe even a Scion xB.. and that thing probably does 0 - 60 in a WEEKEND. But it's cool looking!! **Just add 20"s.
hmm or not.

I would be nice though if they brought out a sport compact that already had impressive numbers, and rwd.

It's nice they have the supercharger as an option though, it seems as though it is an easier setup than say a turbo. Also a good sign they let you keep your factory warranty, proves yet again Toyota build the engine to take abuse and last

Chris
05-28-2006, 11:44 PM

I wouldn't mind a WRX, but the Civics... gah.

The Scion tC looks cool, but when it comes to inline fours, the WRX has a nice look, and the Celica has a classy look to it. The tC tends to remind me of a compact Camry. (which would make sense, given that someone said it's a Camry engine)

ciento44
05-29-2006, 12:03 AM
I think they look pretty good, when done right.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/scion+TC/1/E0A9C6F4-BA5B-438B-877E-91422457E940.htm

Cavanagh
05-29-2006, 12:13 AM

The older Civic Si's like the 2000 models don't look too bad, but the new ones are hideous

wizzards581
05-29-2006, 06:54 PM
i was telling my brother to take off the glass top and make it plexi. the two sides should be able to take the weight if car flips. reduce some weigh off the heavy ass tc.

Morwan
05-29-2006, 11:00 PM
The older Civic Si's like the 2000 models don't look too bad, but the new ones are hideous

Very true, but IMHO, most new cars are fucking hideous, especially the front ends. Everyone seems to be following Mazda in headlight design. Have you seen the Yaris or the new Camry? Both of them look like mutants.

JDMjosh
06-04-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't mind the new Civic design. But it's an ethics issue for me.. lol FUCK EM! I'd rather have sick fast, late 80's Celica that eats brand new Civics and whatever else than take out a loan for a new cookie cutter.

F.. for less than the price of a brand new Cavalier... (sorry.. I just barfed in my mouth... a little bit...) you can import a 91 JDM Supra or something SICK!

QUOTE=ty_44_69]hmm or not.

I would be nice though if they brought out a sport compact that already had impressive numbers, and rwd.

It's nice they have the supercharger as an option though, it seems as though it is an easier setup than say a turbo. Also a good sign they let you keep your factory warranty, proves yet again Toyota build the engine to take abuse and last[/QUOTE]

Screw that. I say the xB's are cool. Good. I'm glad we had this talk.

I wouldn't mind a WRX, but the Civics... gah.

The Scion tC looks cool, but when it comes to inline fours, the WRX has a nice look, and the Celica has a classy look to it. The tC tends to remind me of a compact Camry. (which would make sense, given that someone said it's a Camry engine)
Yeah, WRX's are rediculously fast and handle like Jesus himself was driving. But WRX's are horizontally opposed... ;) not inline fours. That's why they sound like BALLS! OH!.. and the new Camry has 260 HP. That's WAY more than the tC. Different league. DOHC V6 (quad cam!) Even the old Camry's... 1999's and up had more HP.

Very true, but IMHO, most new cars are fucking hideous, especially the front ends. Everyone seems to be following Mazda in headlight design. Have you seen the Yaris or the new Camry? Both of them look like mutants.

The Yaris and Camry's look like Toyota's. I'm more concerned about how Ford, Chevy & a few other companies have been copying Toyota / Lexus styling for the last 3 or 4 years. Which means, they're 3 or 4 years behind.... fools.

That's it. I'm gettin outta here before I form too many 'opinions' on 'stuff'

Night.

MCcelica
06-04-2006, 02:26 PM

I have seen both at the denver 2006 auto show. The camry is...ok looking in my book. The Yaris is going to be impossible to work on. Nobody would sup up a car like that, but that's not what I'm talking about. It seriously looks like they built the front end around the engine. I would hate to even change the oil on one of those because the hood is so short and the engine is pushed back away from the opening just enough to where you could not invert an oil bottle over the oil hole. (whatever the hell the oil hole is called. It's like 3am for me so I have no idea what is going on) Anyways, it looks like you'd seriously have to take the whole damn front end off and pull the engine out in order to do anything. It's quite possibly the stupidest thing toyota's ever done IMO.

ty_44_69
06-04-2006, 05:08 PM
ACTUALLY what NothingSpecialYet is saying I will back up to some degree,
my Dad just bought a brand new 07 Camry XLE....every single option except NAV.
It is true have fun changing the oil for most people because the oil filter is actually located under the car, so unless you have a jack you aren't going to change it yourself.
Everything else too wow, no room at all and crazy wiring everywhere unlike most of our celica's.
That thing HAULS ASS though, 268 HP and you can tell. We haven't really pushed it yet because it only has 900 km but that thing can deliver, especially when you through it into "S" which allows you to shift yourself. We took out the dealer car has punched it and it wouldn't change for you just redlined, pretty funny actually (Not his hhah). It is like a luxary car for sure, we also have a RX300, and I can't tell the difference except the Camry is newer and has more options, GREAT improvent. If I were to buy a family sedan camry wins hands down

hobbie2k
06-04-2006, 05:30 PM
About the swapped Celica vs Supercharged tC thing.

The swapped Celica will be slightly faster and cheaper. But, you're gonna spend a lot more time working on it to keep it running...and not like the fun tinkering, either. You'll probably always have something that needs to be fixed.

Whereas the tC should be a good, decently quick, MUCH safer, and far more reliable daily driver for you.

As far as the Si, I think it's a pretty cool car, but I'd still rather have a TypeR hatch, or a Mazdaspeed3, or STi, or an EVO X, or Jetta GLi, etc...

burnyd
06-04-2006, 06:34 PM
At a roll on the highway I put about a good 10 car lengths one a s/c scion tc. I want to say last setpember.. and that was with a slipping clutch and a bad trans. at 13psi.

Lagos
06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
its really silly to compare a swaped turbo celica to a scion tc. the swaped celica is a whole lot faster, period.

the tc is a newer car, but if your going to spend the money on a charger and all the upgrades, you would be better off geting an srt4. that car would be more competition to a swaped celica then the scion/charger ever could.

The swapped Celica will be slightly faster and cheaper. But, you're gonna spend a lot more time working on it to keep it running...and not like the fun tinkering, either. You'll probably always have something that needs to be fixed.

this is true about any car thats making more then stock hp. if poping the hood is something that turns you off, then stick with bone stock cars.

from what i hear the TC's build quality isint up to the "toyota standards" that we are used to with our cars. i know someone who was just telling me how his brand new tc has been to the dealer more times then his old 5th gen ever had to . everything from problems shifitng to issues with the roof

ty_44_69
06-05-2006, 12:45 AM
also I just checked out consumer reports and the tC TRD (supercharged) was rated ok, but was 6th on the list (disappointing in my books) #1 GTI, 2 Si...can't remember the others. CR "Even with the supercharger this isn't a sporty car."
Consumer Reports goes onto say that they purchased it and had their highly skilled mechanics put the kit on, when the kit arrived it was missing parts which required them to send it back and reorder a new one, again this happened so they just bought the missing parts aftermarket and put them on themselves.
They go on to say, 0 to 60 time went from 8.8 sec to 7.2 sec, and gas mileage stayed the same (26 mpg).
Just thought I would share that info.
Overall, if you have the money to spend a little extra the vehicle on top of everything in order to get a small sporty vehicle the recommend STI

JDMjosh
06-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Subaru WRX STi is in a league of it's own.. as far as i'm concerned. Rally inspired.... everything.

P.S. Why doesn't Toyota WRC anymore? DO they even do that Pikes Peak uphill thing anymore?