PDA

View Full Version : new member but more than like regular problem

Elite_Smoke91
05-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone I recently purchased a 1991 celica stx a couple weeks ago. the odometer reads 273490 still ticking. The motor runs strong for a 103 hp 4 cylinder with a minor crack in the exhaust manifold. Anyways the motor was supposedly swapped with a 100k mile motor. Heres the problem earlier today while i was cruising around i pulled to a redlight and while in first gear my idle speed started bouncing slowly between 1100-2000 i slowly pulled out and everything seemed fine. When i got to the house i cut it off went inside and started searching the web until i found celicatech.com any ways later on i went back out and started the car and its idling steadily at 2k rpms. what could this be , I already know I should check plugs wires and clean something on the bottom of the throttle body. Like I said im new to Toyotas and any help is appreciated.

Murgatroy
05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Check and make sure all your vacuum hoses are hooked up. A vacuum leak is the number one cause of poor idle quality.

Welcome to the Celica Community, and of course, the definitive Celica site.

Elite_Smoke91
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
can someone be specific about what im lloking for around the throttle body , would a wire brush be alright for cleaning??

aballz
05-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm not exactly a car expert but does anyone have a picture of the vacuum hose? I sometimes have an unsteady idle as well.

Elite_Smoke91
05-23-2006, 09:42 PM
shit man usually forums like this help you out what the hells goin on. what am i lookin for and what is with the car idling at 2100 rpms any help is appreciated in advance

ciento44
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
shit man usually forums like this help you out what the hells goin on. what am i lookin for and what is with the car idling at 2100 rpms any help is appreciated in advance

Patience, jedi. This is a pretty dead time for these boards, and someone will get back to you.

I'd go out and take a look myself, but i'm my way out to the strip. :(

mtp_69_i
05-24-2006, 12:57 AM
or you could use the search function...

chill baby.

alltracman78
05-24-2006, 01:46 AM
Relax children.....

Help was already offered, at least in part.
Murg is 100% right. The 4SFE is a MAP based engine. Check the vaccum lines to see if any have cracked. That is the most likely explanation.
Spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner around them and see if it raises higher. If so, you have found your leak.

I don't know who referred to the tb, or why, as there is no post regarding that.
However, a wire bruch is good to clean carbon and burt oil.
You probably won't need it for this however.

Murgatroy
05-24-2006, 09:04 AM
The 4AFE Jeremy, but you already knew that. ;)

alltracman78
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
:laugh:

Yeah, I didn't proofread that too good now, did I?

Elite_Smoke91
05-24-2006, 06:31 PM
still bouncing between 1100-1900 but not at idle , only while cruising and in neutral . idles at 1900-2000

alltracman78
05-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Still wondering if you have checked for vaccum leaks.....
And what you were referring to concerning the throttle body....

Elite_Smoke91
05-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Still wondering if you have checked for vaccum leaks.....
And what you were referring to concerning the throttle body....
Only visual inspection i belive the previous owner was a ricer , im finnding all kinds of things. i'll post pics soon.
the thoing around the tb would be the iacv?

VikingJZ
05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). My car was doing this when I first got it.

Elite_Smoke91
05-26-2006, 03:54 AM
and where would i find the tps?

Elite_Smoke91
06-02-2006, 05:48 AM
can I get some help . you guys suck , I shouldve bought a nissan

Luni
06-02-2006, 06:13 AM
TPS is ON the throttle body. In fact its the only sensor on the throttle body itself. It is even labeled "throttle position sensor" and has a toyota sticker on it.

You were already told to check for vacuum leaks. You havent really replied.

Also you need to check for codes. In your engine bay is a diagnostic port. I dont remember where exactly it is, but its a gray box labeled "diagnosis" or something like that. Flip the lid open and theres a diagram on the back side. Theres TE1 and E1. Use a paperclip to bridge those ports and turn the ignition on. Watch the check engine light and the pattern that it flashes in. If it just does a steady flash there are no codes. If it flashes twice, pauses, then flashes 3 times, that would be a code 23. There could be multiple codes stored in the ECU. Watch and write them down until they start repeating. Post your trouble codes if you have any. Check your vacuum lines.

This is gonna sound kinda silly too, but also make sure your throttle cable just isnt being a pain in the ass. Sometimes they get too tight or bound on something and they pull the throttle open to the point where idle seems high. Check the cable itself, try adjusting it (theres 2 10mm nuts on a bolt) to see if you can bring the idle down.

When driving the car, does it rev normally? Does it bog, stutter, die, anything else that could be of help to us?

aballz
06-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Help us..help you.

Murgatroy
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
It is easier to assign the blame to us since we didn't magically go 'wiggle your battery cable' and it all went away.

Name calling is not the way to get us to help you, when we have already offered advice and you have not stated whether you have followed it or not.