PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Thickness?

bloodredgt
05-23-2006, 05:47 AM
What size gasket should I be getting to run more boost on a 5sfte running *edit* 460cc injectors?

Luni
05-23-2006, 05:43 PM
why 416cc injectors?

bloodredgt
05-23-2006, 07:33 PM
oops i meant 460cc.

I'm wondering what gasket would lower my compression so my 5sfe would be more boost friendly.

MrWOT
05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't advise using a thicker headgasket to lower compression. It changes the quenching characteristics of the head quite a bit and causes the flame front to have issues. If you want to run more boost, you can either increase your intercooling, get a more efficient turbo, get lower compression pistons, or get bigger cams (larger cams lower effective compression).

bloodredgt
05-23-2006, 11:52 PM
What turbo applications would you suggest are more efficient turbos besides a ct-20b? I've been looking around for lower compression pistons but can't seem to find any. :\

MrWOT
05-24-2006, 12:01 AM
You can have custom pistons made for around $400-$500 from a few places. But in terms of efficiency, it depends on your final goals, low end, midrange, high end? It's the exhaust side on the ct series that really restricts it, not the compressor. It does have it's limits, but with the stock motor and redline, it's pretty good for response and torque. What are your goals?

mtp_69_i
05-24-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't advise using a thicker headgasket to lower compression. It changes the quenching characteristics of the head quite a bit and causes the flame front to have issues. If you want to run more boost, you can either increase your intercooling, get a more efficient turbo, get lower compression pistons, or get bigger cams (larger cams lower effective compression).

hey WOT, does that apply going the other way? That is, do you have adverse changes to the "flame front" if you shave the head to boost compression (on an NA motor of course). Having to get custom pistons sounds like a pain in the butt to me.

MrWOT
05-24-2006, 01:59 AM
It does change the combustion, but it's tolerable within limits. On an N/A motor unless you have really high compression the temps are much lower then a turbocharged application due to the fact that combustion ends sooner, so there is more room to play. Changing the quench characteristics of a motor have a direct effect on combustion efficiency and exhaust gas temps.

mtp_69_i
05-24-2006, 02:55 AM
alright, thanks WOT.

bloodredgt
05-24-2006, 08:05 AM
My goal is to try and get the 5sfte to 200whp at mid-high boost.

MrWOT
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
If you want to do it right, secondary parts will be critical. I'd say cams (optional but recommended), a GOOD intercooler and have the stock ct26 machined at a turbo rebuild shop to open up the exhaust a/r a little and port the wastegate. Since you have a 5S you will still get good response from the ct26, and it will increase it's operating range and efficiency a good bit. The cams will need to have adjustable gears so they can be degreed for the 5S platform and should be speced around the hks 264 series for the 3s, gearing towards the low-midrange and using the modded ct to pack in the air from 3200-6500. Using a streamlined intake into the turbo that will be drawing in cool air from outside will also help a good deal since it will bring down temperatures (staving off detonation). And using a good intercooler will be vital. The lower you can get your intake temps, the safer you are and the more power you will make.

You really could do it pretty easily with the modded turbo and a good intercooler, but the degreed cams will really open up your power even on pump gas since the f series head isn't really designed with performance in mind.

bloodredgt
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I believe I'll be running with a fmic. Anyway that a larger turbo would be better? I was thinking of running with the ct-26 for a while, then upgrading the turbo to an aftermarket turbo and running open wastegate (gotta love the sound it makes) then making the exhaust piping a bit larger to 3" turbo-back. Also larger injectors.