PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an engine to swap?

Azzazzyn
05-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Just came across this site, its a sponsor on zilvia.net, and I liked the pricing listed, figured I'd share.
http://www.jdmracingmotors.com/index.php?area=motors&brand=toyota

Dan3312
05-20-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd feel a little safer if they actually knew the specs on the engine. It says it has a 8000rpm redline and only make 204hp and like 200lb/tq

Cavanagh
05-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Hey azz, are you looking to swap out or just work on the KA24?

Azzazzyn
05-21-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm still split on it, I wanna swap, but the ka has so much potential and its 2.4l, if I do a swap, its either the rb25 or none at all I think

Cavanagh
05-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Good decsion, besides almost everyone seems to have the sr20 in there 240. I say swap, you get a cleaner, longer(hopefully) lasting engine too.

ToyCelica280
05-25-2006, 07:41 AM
before i got my celica i really wanted a 240... the research i did showed that a modded ka could put out far more power than a modded sr... rb is the way to go definately... good luck making everything fit (:<

Cavanagh
05-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Ya, i would still love to have a 240. I guess i could get one if i drove down to St. Louis....

Azzazzyn
05-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I love the ka, torque monster, and from what i read, they run low 15's stock. The one reason the sr is such a popular swap is the availability of parts. I's want to rebuld my engine, but its so hard to find parts for the ka. I keep looking at the price of the rb25, and think I can have it and probably beg tweak to install it by fall/winter.

ciento44
05-26-2006, 03:31 AM
I saw an S13 at the strip on tuesday putting down an 11.5 @ 131 on street tires, unprepped track. Running an SR20DET. Was INSANE. :)

Cavanagh
05-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Ya, Nissan makes some fast cars!

PhillyDRFT
05-26-2006, 11:03 PM
I love the ka, torque monster, and from what i read, they run low 15's stock. The one reason the sr is such a popular swap is the availability of parts. I's want to rebuld my engine, but its so hard to find parts for the ka. I keep looking at the price of the rb25, and think I can have it and probably beg tweak to install it by fall/winter.

what kind of KA parts are you looking for? Internals or OEM replacement stuff? it's everywhere. are you on NICO too or just zilvia? I've never had problems finding parts for my KA. turbo 240 makes affordable rods that support upto 400hp then crower and pauter make them too, Arias , JE and Eagle make pistons i think CP does too. theres crank scrapers and windage trays. Nissan themselves make a fully ballanced KA crank (but its about 8k for the built bottom end lol) JGS, Rev hard make turbo manifolds and downpipes.

People like the SR swap because its less involved than a KA-T. a lot of people are scaird to death of opening up a motor. and rightfully so if you dont want to break stuff. oh yeah and because having as JDM engine is mad tight yo.

but i vote for the KA-t the sr20 is the b16 swap for the 240 lol

Cavanagh
05-26-2006, 11:23 PM
the sr20 is the b16 swap for the 240 lol

Ya, but also he has to put up with a motor that has 100k more than if he got an RB26

PhillyDRFT
05-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Ya, but also he has to put up with a motor that has 100k more than if he got an RB26

how do you figure? and yeah it might have "low miles" depending on the importer you get it from but RB parts arent ecactly at auto zone. incase something goes wrong. Not to mention the RB swap costs entirely too much IMO. a rebuilt KA-T is solid and reliable

Cavanagh
05-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Usually you don't want to pick up your preformance parts at autozone, but also i still think the rb26 is a much better, faster engine. High mileage engines that you put preformance parts on USUALLY act up alot more than a lower, longer lasting one. Skylines are one of the most badass cars today, if it does well in the skyline, think of it in a lighter 240!!! IMO.

Azzazzyn
05-27-2006, 09:54 PM
well, with the right guy *cough* tweak *cough* the swap could be reasonably priced. On the KA24 note, If I were to go KA-T, the engine would be pulled and rebuilt or I'd find another KA and have it rebuilt while I still drive teh car. Also, cav, the RB26 you said, only comes with an awd tranny. which is why the rb25 is a more popular sap, even though I'd like the extra horsepower out of the box that the 26 provides, finding a clip, or everythign needed for the swap, then finding an rb25 tranny to mate it with is extra pricey. I'm looking at 3500-4k for the rb swap if i do it. I hope *cough* tweak *cough* can help me out on it.

Cavanagh
05-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Oh, well whatever you so it will still be beast ;)

PhillyDRFT
06-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Usually you don't want to pick up your preformance parts at autozone, but also i still think the rb26 is a much better, faster engine. High mileage engines that you put preformance parts on USUALLY act up alot more than a lower, longer lasting one. Skylines are one of the most badass cars today, if it does well in the skyline, think of it in a lighter 240!!! IMO.

I didnt mean performance parts... you know other parts do go on an engine when things break. which does happin when you make them go faster. the RB is twice the weight of the KA, for the price of just the RB front clip not including the rebuild on it your looking at 4k shipped. 4k into a KA block can support 500whp. THAT in a little 240 is more than enough for a street car. The RB is not god. KA-T's make upto 780whp rite now. stop by nico and check out Ivans. Now im not saying the average KA is going to be making this kind of power but were talking about 13's at 250whp and an open diff. you can hang with Evo's and Sti's for around 2k into a KA-t Powerplant. not to mention Azz knows how well he's taken care of his engine, he has no idea who had the RB before him. ither way a rebuild is involved if you want reliability. and i dont believe you can grab a water pump or timing chain for your RB if anything happins on short notice. just my HO. It's azz's car I dont see the benefits of puting an RB in your car unless your aiming for 800+whp otherwise its just more motor than your going to need

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 06:16 AM
i see all your points you win philly. lol

PhillyDRFT
06-09-2006, 07:25 PM
i see all your points you win philly. lol

haha your not soposed to give up :( now i feel bad lol

ot: whats with the cow in your sig azz? and do you still have a celi or are you all 240 now?

Azzazzyn
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
the cow....both punisher and ricksta continually refered to the girl i had posing on the car as a cow or hefer and how she was ugly, so i made the pic more appealing to them. I never had a celica in my possession. I <3 my car cuz it eats celi's all day :)

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Thats not hard to do.....sadly

Azzazzyn
06-09-2006, 09:41 PM
ok, it eats gt-s' all day

burnyd
06-09-2006, 09:41 PM
the cow....both punisher and ricksta continually refered to the girl i had posing on the car as a cow or hefer and how she was ugly, so i made the pic more appealing to them. I never had a celica in my possession. I <3 my car cuz it eats celi's all day :)

240s are cool but I wouldnt say you beat celicas all day. Especially swapped celis. My buddy has a s13 sr20... front mount plus exhaust.... I put 2 cars on him all the time. and I think you have an s14 which is actually a heavier car.

A friend of mine who lives up the street has a s13 fmic, exhaust , cams , gt2871, LSD.... Hes running in the 11's its not even right for having under 7k into his car to be so fast.

Cavanagh
06-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Are 3SGTE's really that powerful? just wondering.

burnyd
06-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Are 3SGTE's really that powerful? just wondering.

well .... yah.. heh

Azzazzyn
06-09-2006, 10:50 PM
yeah, and s15 sr's a quick fucks too, swapped celi vs a 3rd gen redtop i think it is, would be a nice race

burnyd
06-09-2006, 10:55 PM
yeah, and s15 sr's a quick fucks too, swapped celi vs a 3rd gen redtop i think it is, would be a nice race

...... Yah I win heh. @ 15psi.

PhillyDRFT
06-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Meh i thought you had a celi at one point for some reason.

3sgte and sr20 are toyota and nissans most common turbo engines, both have pretty much the same potential really good enginearing went into each engine IMO. Ka-t's are just as fun as 3sgtes though :-p ka-t with a t-25 at 8psi is faster than a stock redtop sr20. and about 1000$ cheaper. not as reliable though depending on the work.

240s are cool but I wouldnt say you beat celicas all day. Especially swapped celis. My buddy has a s13 sr20... front mount plus exhaust.... I put 2 cars on him all the time. and I think you have an s14 which is actually a heavier car.

A friend of mine who lives up the street has a s13 fmic, exhaust , cams , gt2871, LSD.... Hes running in the 11's its not even right for having under 7k into his car to be so fast.

You pull two cars on him from a roll or a dig? only problem i can see with 3s swaps is geting traction to the FWD (never been in a swaped celi yet so im runing on what ive been told or read) Not to mention how far from stock is your 3s and how modded is the sr20, straight out of the box if you had two bran new engines in each car it would be a close race.

Edit: about smoking celis lol theres a few kids with 5th gen ST's around here who think they are fast because they take some civics. but i do fear runing into lagos lol he would probly pwn me

burnyd
06-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Meh i thought you had a celi at one point for some reason.

3sgte and sr20 are toyota and nissans most common turbo engines, both have pretty much the same potential really good enginearing went into each engine IMO. Ka-t's are just as fun as 3sgtes though :-p ka-t with a t-25 at 8psi is faster than a stock redtop sr20. and about 1000$ cheaper. not as reliable though depending on the work.

You pull two cars on him from a roll or a dig? only problem i can see with 3s swaps is geting traction to the FWD (never been in a swaped celi yet so im runing on what ive been told or read) Not to mention how far from stock is your 3s and how modded is the sr20, straight out of the box if you had two bran new engines in each car it would be a close race.

Edit: about smoking celis lol theres a few kids with 5th gen ST's around here who think they are fast because they take some civics. but i do fear runing into lagos lol he would probly pwn me

ill most likely be at the philly meet... if my car doesnt sell Ill be there with a nice shiney Front mount. So anyways. From a dig it used to be dead even I spun tire all the time till I put my E153 trans on and I didnt spin any tire at all just gripped and went. From a 40mph roll I would pull some cars on him. thumbs down on the KA-T idea though sorry.

Cavanagh
06-11-2006, 08:55 PM
haha ty

Azzazzyn
06-11-2006, 09:47 PM
ka-t's are a great cheaper alternative, and I'leaning toward it alot. I mean, 2 ltr or 2.4 ltr, duh 2.4. I <3 my current engine, and I'm gonna spend the 119 to get some sohc pistons to throw in there till i can get all the parts i need for a swap or rebuild. after the pistons my optimistic crank output should be around 190

burnyd
06-12-2006, 06:59 AM
ka-t's are a great cheaper alternative, and I'leaning toward it alot. I mean, 2 ltr or 2.4 ltr, duh 2.4. I <3 my current engine, and I'm gonna spend the 119 to get some sohc pistons to throw in there till i can get all the parts i need for a swap or rebuild. after the pistons my optimistic crank output should be around 190

eh KA Turbo? You might as well do the an sr20 swap... I have driven both and the sr20 is an amazing motor. Just as good or better than a 3sgte. Im not downing the KA turbo setup but the sr20 is more supperior your better off saving your money and going for the sr20.

PhillyDRFT
06-13-2006, 06:13 AM
eh KA Turbo? You might as well do the an sr20 swap... I have driven both and the sr20 is an amazing motor. Just as good or better than a 3sgte. Im not downing the KA turbo setup but the sr20 is more supperior your better off saving your money and going for the sr20.

honestly how do you figure that the sr20 is so superior to the KA? i know its a beat to death argument but higher flowing head, alum block, and stock turbo doesnt justify a claim like that. not to mention a KA has beaten the SR power record. Cost to end result the KA-T is going to blow a swap away every time im sorry to break it to you.

Sounds really good, I havent read much about swaping in the SOHC pistons to up the compression but I've heard its common practice. Keep us updated on it, im really interested to see how well it goes for you.

KoreanJoey
06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
well, with the right guy *cough* tweak *cough* the swap could be reasonably priced. On the KA24 note, If I were to go KA-T, the engine would be pulled and rebuilt or I'd find another KA and have it rebuilt while I still drive teh car. Also, cav, the RB26 you said, only comes with an awd tranny. which is why the rb25 is a more popular sap, even though I'd like the extra horsepower out of the box that the 26 provides, finding a clip, or everythign needed for the swap, then finding an rb25 tranny to mate it with is extra pricey. I'm looking at 3500-4k for the rb swap if i do it. I hope *cough* tweak *cough* can help me out on it.

Save 14K and Doug Smith at Fairlady Motors will create an R32 GTR for ya. :) Pretty cool how he converts everything to AWD... too complicated for me to attempt on my own but pretty friggin sweet.

Cavanagh
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
expensive, but that would be badass!

2003cbgts
06-14-2006, 12:15 AM
the jdm celica 3sgte engine that they have listed... does it come with all the parts that they have listed there on the bottom right? i know this is new dude sounding question, but will it bolt right into a 5th gen?

burnyd
06-14-2006, 12:33 AM
^^

Buy a clip youll be happier. Theres so many stupit little parts you will need.

2003cbgts
06-14-2006, 06:28 AM
will a clip have everythign i need for the swap?

Azzazzyn
06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
^yeah it will and soem extras if your lucky. if your an st you might get the fenders uncut and be able to use them for soem widebody action. front wheels might be good still too. Alot of people get clips and sell body parts off of it after their done the swap

2003cbgts
06-14-2006, 07:14 PM
clips are pretty damn expensive arent they? your basically paying for half a car right?

PhillyDRFT
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
clips are pretty damn expensive arent they? your basically paying for half a car right?

yeah but its less expensive and time consuming in the long run as your not looking for misc bungs, fittings, sensors, brachets ect... clips are well worth it if your doing a swap

Azzazzyn
06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
and again, you mayb be able to make soem of that money back by selling off random parts from the clip that you don't use

burnyd
06-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Well heres the deal.. a clip froma st185 should be around $2500. If you found some ebay special 1500 bux for a Motor wiring harness + ecu..... Now you have everything you would think of for a swap. You go to swap the motor and then you realize you need so many different little parts its crazy! Then you go to the dealer and find out how expensive these dumb little parts can be. You actually end up spending more time and more money sourcing these parts for your swap. And Most of the time on that 2500 dollar clip you can sell the extra body parts.. hood bumper and fenders.