PDA

View Full Version : Difference bteween a GT and a GTS

Osirus9
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
basically, what are the main differences between a 5th gen GT and GTS,
and should I be sad that I bought a GT?

4thgenceli
05-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Um.. I belive the GT has the 4afe engine, GTS has the 5sfe.

I dunno... I have the 3sfe (4th gen GT) in my celica, and it's nice and peppy for me. I'm completely satsifed with my GT, that's why I'm almost ready to swap the bish out! I've seen people turbo the 4afe (4afte) on this site. That's an option for ya though (dunno how much $$'s involved though).

Playfortoday
05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
For the US:

The only difference was some trim stuff and a couple interior options like optional System 10 sound and auto climate control(but not all GT-S came with it. A GT-S can have less options than a GT in some cases). The GT-S was a liftback widebody, and the GT came in narrowbody coupe or liftback. Both the GT and GT-S came with the same engine, and the GT-S is actually a tiny bit slower statistically since it was a few pounds heavier. There are other differences, but do they really matter? The cars are almost identical.

Playfortoday
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM
PS. The ST trim was a narrowbody coupe only, with a 4afe engine and very little by way of options. The STX was a spiffed up dealer version of the ST by way of a graphics package and a spoiler being added.

The there is the All-trac. We don't need to go there.;)

Gary
05-18-2006, 02:53 PM
They both have the same 5SFE.
By the way, doesn't late model GT-S have larger front brake?

ciento44
05-18-2006, 02:54 PM
basically, what are the main differences between a 5th gen GT and GTS,
and should I be sad that I bought a GT?

The only reason to be possibly sad that you bought a GT is that you may have rear drum brakes, but that's fixable. :)

Did you get a liftback or a coupe?

MCcelica
05-18-2006, 02:58 PM
My 5th gen had a 5sFe, 4w disc brakes, but mine was a limited edition. Some GTS's also came with a twin exhaust, and a slightly different front end. (With the grille in front of the foggers)

Gary
05-18-2006, 03:01 PM
My 5th gen had a 5sFe, 4w disc brakes, but mine was a limited edition. Some GTS's also came with a twin exhaust, and a slightly different front end. (With the grille in front of the foggers)

twin exhaust?

ciento44
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Had a dual tip muffler.

Cavanagh
05-18-2006, 04:52 PM
ya and ST= Poor man version of a celica...hahaha ya only the ST has the 4A-FE and the GT and GT-S have 5SFES

Osirus9
05-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I've got the Coupe, but I like the spoiler better on the coupe. Also I have to check and see if I have rear Discs or drums, I'll check when I get home.

ciento44
05-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I've got the Coupe, but I like the spoiler better on the coupe. Also I have to check and see if I have rear Discs or drums, I'll check when I get home.

COUPES FTW!!!!!!!11!

Take some pics. :)

5thgenGT
05-18-2006, 06:03 PM
for a long time i was disappointed because i got a gt coupe and not a gts hatch, but it grew on me.. i dig the coupe look now

and i agree that the spoiler looks really nice on the coupe

aballz
05-18-2006, 08:08 PM
My GTS weighs in at 3175 pounds, I think the Gt weighs in under 3000. The GT should be the better performance car.

Murgatroy
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
It will have drums.

The coupe is superior. No matter what anyone says. It is lighter, more rigid and thus, more nimble and as a result, the better handling of the cars.

The ST in my biased opinion is second only to the AT/GT4. It will outhandle a GT/GT-S and get better gas mileage doing it. Straight line performance, it can't compete. The ST had limited options, thus less weight, the smaller engine, again less weight and was only available as a coupe. It can also be swapped with either the 4AGE or the 3SGTE, thus keeping a lighter, more powerful higher reving engine to make a superb drivers car, or a turbocharged heavier engine making it superior in straight line performance.

So no, the ST is not the worst, or the poor man's Celica. It is the one with the most potential, but in the end, all Celicas are wicked cars in the right hands.

Azzazzyn
05-18-2006, 08:51 PM
My GTS weighs in at 3175 pounds, I think the Gt weighs in under 3000. The GT should be the better performance car.
wtf? is your weight including you? so you wiegh like approx. 575 lbs? damn! I know the 5th gens weigh less than my 240 which comes in at 2700

ciento44
05-18-2006, 11:33 PM
wtf? is your weight including you? so you wiegh like approx. 575 lbs? damn! I know the 5th gens weigh less than my 240 which comes in at 2700

Mine weighs 2675lbs, or at least that's what the title and the stickers on the car say....

Which isn't bad... but i'd like to strip a good 300lbs off of it.

Oh, and speaking of the coupes... i saw a BEAUTIFUL ST184 coupe today on the way to work. Dark metallic grey, nicely tinted, lowered on some sort of springs, and had Kosei K-1s. No rice, no bullshit, just nice.

I'm trying to track him down on a local board, i'll try to get pics.

MCcelica
05-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, sorry, dual tip muf's. My 5th gen was a coupe too. Man did I love it. The handeling on that thing was awesome, even better than my 6th gen. It was also a lot heavier than my 6th gen though, but I'm not sure by how much. I don't think it could have been more than 3k. Damn I wish I still had that car.

alltracman78
05-19-2006, 12:44 AM

The GTS is less than 3000lbs.
It should be ~ 2900. For a fully loaded one.

Disco Dan
05-19-2006, 01:32 AM
It should also be noted that between 91 and 92, Toyota made more options standard that were previously optional.

For instance, the Fog Lights were standard on the 92/93 GT Coupe, but optional on the 90/91, and I think the four-wheel disc brakes were in that same category, but I could be wrong on that last one.

Also, I could, again, be wrong, but didn't the 'wide body' look arrive after 1990?

Playfortoday
05-19-2006, 03:09 AM
The 1990 GT-S was a widebody.

Ricksta
05-19-2006, 03:25 AM
ive got the fully loaded gts. ive got the leather and the system ten. front seats look a little worn but the back seats look like no one has ever sat in them everrrr. i'll swap it one day :)

Ricksta
05-19-2006, 03:26 AM
i'll have new pics up too tomorro ...i just got new 17's :)

ciento44
05-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Beware of thread crapping above.

Ricksta
05-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Qft!!!

aballz
05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Before i bought the vehicle, the previous owner brought it to smog and the papers show 3175 pounds. I also have leather, sports package thing, system 10, and power seats.

alltracman78
05-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Dude, that's not even 200lbs less than my AT.
I dont' think so....

ciento44
05-20-2006, 03:53 AM
Before i bought the vehicle, the previous owner brought it to smog and the papers show 3175 pounds. I also have leather, sports package thing, system 10, and power seats.

Not even possible... unless he forgot about the 4 bags of water softener salt in the hatch.

gt4wannabe
08-31-2006, 02:29 AM
no edmunds say it wieghs in at 2875 lbs.

Denver_whiteST185
08-31-2006, 03:22 AM
ive got the fully loaded gts. ive got the leather and the system ten. front seats look a little worn but the back seats look like no one has ever sat in them everrrr. i'll swap it one day :)

thats cause nobody can fit in those back seats, have you ever tryed to sit back there? im 6'1" and i have to slouch and turn my head... :waveoz:

primeplaya7
08-31-2006, 03:38 AM
Ok i think i can settle the weight thing. I took my 1992 toyota celica GT convertible with system 10 all power options no spare tire no jack and 1/4 tank of gas to the track and got it weighed. Without me in it it came in at 2920 even. I guess you can take about 20 pounds off due to my amplifier and capacitor for my system still in there which will make 2900 even. With me in it we will not say cause i am a big motherfucker that likes my celica so i hope this can solve peoples problems.

Cavanagh
08-31-2006, 03:55 AM
It will have drums.

The coupe is superior. No matter what anyone says. It is lighter, more rigid and thus, more nimble and as a result, the better handling of the cars.

The ST in my biased opinion is second only to the AT/GT4. It will outhandle a GT/GT-S and get better gas mileage doing it. Straight line performance, it can't compete. The ST had limited options, thus less weight, the smaller engine, again less weight and was only available as a coupe. It can also be swapped with either the 4AGE or the 3SGTE, thus keeping a lighter, more powerful higher reving engine to make a superb drivers car, or a turbocharged heavier engine making it superior in straight line performance.

So no, the ST is not the worst, or the poor man's Celica. It is the one with the most potential, but in the end, all Celicas are wicked cars in the right hands.

Well put, over the months i have grow attached to my ST and i see its potental. I think STs dry weight are around 2300ish?

2kSnakEater
08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
GRAVE DIGGER! carry on...

Playfortoday
08-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Aren't convertibles typically the heaviest in a model line up(alltrac pig not included)?

extremeskillz
08-31-2006, 02:50 PM
My 93 GTS came with the following:

AW disk brakes, power everything, front gt4 bumper (grill in front fogs, standard 92-93 optional on GT) Mine doesn't have the power seat as ive read someone on here had this option, but the fully adjustable bucket seat. No leather interior just fabric(thank god). 5sfe engine, sport suspension (stock, now replaced with eibach and KYB GR-2). 15" alloy wheels with sport tires. Automatic tranny (optional, usually came standard with 5 speed. Wide body and all painted match exterior. Power roof. More to list but can't think of it right now.

GT had variations of these options.

Now as for weight, GTS weighed a lil more but not as much as some posted above. You have to be a fat ass to make weigh out of wack like that.

ANd the hatchback is the better looking the the coupe. Especially my GTS

extremeskillz
08-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Aren't convertibles typically the heaviest in a model line up(alltrac pig not included)?

Yes do to extra reinforcement used to make, well, a convertable.

NealWright
08-31-2006, 04:21 PM
OMG ... there's so much mis-information in this post, I actually stopped laughing!

Basically think of a GT-S, as a 2wd All Trac w/ 5sfe engine. Other than that, the GT-S is much more similar to the All Trac than the GT.

Man, where to start ...
The wide body has been mentioned a couple times, means different front/rear quarter metal.
The stock wheels are 215/55R15 alloys.
All are hatchback style.
3gauge instrument cluster (w/ voltmeter).
150mph speedo
Different a/c heater controls.
Seats are a totally different design, besides also being power.
4w disc brakes.
Dual tip muffler extension, it's either chrome or stainless.

Those are just a starter list. I've often wondered in the shocks/struts are not valved different also. Basically it appears to me, that Toyota produced the GT-S as a mass production vehicle so that they could justify the extra expense on the All Trac vehicles.

Any more things to add?
Neal

Playfortoday
08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Misinformation? This stuff has been known and well documented since I have been active in the online celica community(circa 1996). What have you said that is different than what almost all of us already have known and memorized? Anyone who has owned a 5th gen more than a year knows every single nitty-gritty detail down to the break pads. I haven't read every post in this thread, but I can guarantee that if any wrong info exists, it is from one or two people.

KoreanJoey
08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Anyone who has owned a 5th gen more than a year knows every single nitty-gritty detail down to the break pads

It's spelled BRAKE /spelling nazi

aballz
08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Oh my GTS w/leather also had this adjustable head-rest thing. Best way to describe, it goes up and down plus front and back.

aballz
08-31-2006, 10:16 PM
I also believe the 92-93 celica has a shorter shifting transmission(manual).

Playfortoday
09-01-2006, 01:15 AM
It's spelled BRAKE /spelling nazi

Oh my god, you schooled me hardcore. No wonder the store couldn't find what I needed. I kept asking for break pads when I needed brake pads. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Playfortoday
09-01-2006, 01:16 AM
This thread is only a small subset of things we have identified. There are probably 10 more like this one. Or is it they're are probably 10 more; or is it their are probably 10 more. Damn, where is Korean Joey when I need him.:rolleyes:

MCcelica
09-01-2006, 04:36 AM
^There. They're = "They Are" and Their indicates possession by multiple persons.

Azzazzyn
09-01-2006, 04:42 AM
^There. They're = "They Are" and Their indicates possession by multiple persons.
ahem, their is just possession, doesn't need to be multiple.

aballz
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Since this thread has gone off topic, i'd like to add that a 93 St has vtec.

Murgatroy
09-01-2006, 11:31 AM
ahem, their is just possession, doesn't need to be multiple.
:owned:

NealWright
09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, let's start here ...

Um.. I belive the GT has the 4afe engine, GTS has the 5sfe.

all 5th Gen GT & GT-S cars receive the same 2.2L engine and transmission.

Then we have here ...

The only difference was some trim stuff and a couple interior options like optional System 10 sound and auto climate control ... The cars are almost identical.

The two are far from identical! Actually, when you begin looking, there become fewer and fewer parts that are a straight interchange between the two. The list I posted before was brief, to say the least.

This was close ...

By the way, doesn't late model GT-S have larger front brake?

Actually front brakes are identical between GT & GT-S models. All GT & GT-S cars received the larger brake rotor in '92-'93.

At least Disco Dan admits he's not too sure ...

and I think the four-wheel disc brakes were in that same category, but I could be wrong on that last one ... Also, I could, again, be wrong, but didn't the 'wide body' look arrive after 1990?
For all 5th Gen years ... rear disc were standard on GT-S, and rear drums were standard on GT. GT-S / AllTrac 'widebody' arrived in 1990 with the introduction of the 5th gen cars.

Anyhow ... don't take it that I'm trying to be a punk, you guys have no idea how lucky you are to have this wealth of information on this forum! I lived through hoards of mis-information from books/experts restoring my chevelle until the chevelles.com forum was created. And people still "quote" this stuff, even years after these books were written ... and dis-proven. You know how many people still to this day, believe there was actually an SS427 Chevelle made in '67? Anyways, just my advice is keep the facts, facts and you'll appreciate it later.

Take care, Neal

extremeskillz
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
:stupid:
Agreed you need to do your research first ppl. Me and Neal can probably agree that when we purchased our vehicles we looked up everything there was about the 5th gens and so on. And for those of you who can't see that a GTS looks exactly like a All trac, then well, you own the wrong car.

Playfortoday
09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
What was it again... semantics? :rolleyes: What I said is still true. The interior of the GT and the GTS are practically identical. If you want to get down to the unseen things such as servos vs cable drive, thermal sensors, and a that the GT-S smelled exclusively of lilac and jasmine and came with a free kitten, then you have a point.

The required to clarify every difference would take up a full page or two. I had a pdf from totoyatech that listed the "anal-level" differences that was over three pages long. If we didn't lose our membership recently, I would post it here so you would not have to school us with your superior celica knowledge.

Celicatech cannot be responsible for the contribution of every one of its members, not can we check every thread for accuracy. This is a public community, and if anyone wants to take what strangers say as the absolute truth, they might need to rethink that. I and the guys that run this site have been doing this for a loooong time. If you want to help, fine, help. But don't come new to the site with a flaming sword "school" all the newbs and discrediting people you have no clue about.

NealWright
09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey, like I said ... not trying to be a punk. Actually know very little detail on these cars. But if you have a 3page discertation from Toyota on the differences between GT & GT-S cars ... why are you writing this:

The only difference was some trim stuff and a couple interior options like optional System 10 sound and auto climate control ... The cars are almost identical.

So which is it ... is there a multitude of differences (like 3 pages worth), or are they almost identical? By the way, am I to read that right that one of the key differences on a GT-S was that it could be optioned with a System10, somehow I don't think that's true either?

I'm not questioning that you probably could recite every single difference between the two models ... that's great, personally I find it a little dorky, but to each their own. But why is it that you're also responsible for quoting so much mis-information?

Here's another one (I can't be sure), but I think you're eluding to GT-S models having a servo-motor driven cruise control module? ...

unseen things such as servos vs cable drive
If not, that's fine ... but I've seen the same mis-information repeated on the forum many times. As best I can tell, this is very false. Servo-motor cruise controls were only on ABS equipped cars. Vacuum (cable) cruise controls are on non-ABS cars. Which leads to another misconception, ABS was not standard on GT-S models, until it became standard on GT's also.

Anyhow ... not trying to school anybody with my wealth of knowledge, it truely is very limited. I'm sure player up there can recite the whole Celica dictionary from A-Z.

I will however give my opinion, as I just lost my GT-S and am now driving a GT. Things I do miss on my GT-S are the low-profile tires, the special front seats, the extra room in the hatch, and the wide-body stance. My new GT is a convertible, which you couldn't get in a GT-S ... so my daughter and I have been enjoying that.

Thanks, Neal

5SFE
09-01-2006, 04:10 PM
For the last f*cking time: with an apostrophe, it means "it is" and without an apostrophe, it means "belonging to it". This is really not that hard.... :)

The 90-?? ST *was* produced in small numbers in liftback form.
The 90-91 GT-4 was also produced in coupe form.

I prefer my coupe over my liftback anyday, the bodyroll in the liftback makes it wallow in a very nauseating way. A coupe GT is the second fastest (NADM) 5th gen trim out there, behind the All-Trac.

Playfortoday
09-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow, you are damn cocky. "Like I said, I am not trying to be a punk, but.." <-- the easiest way to say something that is still shitty on the internet.

Not that it is worth it to somehow justify things to you, but by servo, meaning climate control... the fact that all climate controls unplug fromt he panel in GTS and alltrac, where as the GT had cable to mix hot and cold. Why did you automatically assume CC? We can argue meanings and word usage all day long. Is it really worth it?

Now the constant requote from your arsenal bag:

the only difference was some trim stuff and a couple interior options like optional System 10 sound and auto climate control ... The cars are almost identical.

Please define "almost" for me. Is it 90%, 34%, 99% 67%? I really need to know so I use it in the right context from now on. Let's assume it is 90%... Now when you break a car down into precentages, does an engine get assigned more percentage points than a tire profile? Are percentages weighted, where a tranny is worth a percentage point, but if it is geared only slightly different, may it should only account for a .35% difference.

Since you get so hung up over sematics, I am banning the use of all vague terms and estimates. All data most be cold, hard, factual, and to the point. This will prevent people from offending others, even if they are not trying to be punk.

As for the three pages... let's see... oh yes...

I had a pdf from totoyatech that listed the "anal-level" differences that was over three pages long. If we didn't lose our membership recently, I would post it here so you would not have to school us with your superior celica knowledge.

If you want to donate $40 to the site, I will make sure we renew the membership to techinfo.toyota.com and download the elusive document for you and post it here. Hell, I will even highlight all the good shit for you in andvance.

There is another.... harder option, but I heard it is very difficult. If you take a 5lbs bag of sand and swap it out on the internets fast enough, the site will be tricked into thinking nothing is missing, you will be granted access and a shiny nickel.

We can try that I suppose, but I am pretty tapped out from all the money we pay out of our own pockets to keep this site running, and all the time we spend helping people for free. I will do a better job of making sure my group of guys realize that when they cash the big checks written out to them from the large couffers of celicatech(filled with donations from people like yourself), they should think twice about posting information that is not 100%(how does that work again?) accurrate and approved by you.

Edit: This is why I need a break. Turning off email notification. Leaving site. Be back soon. Don't miss me too much.

Murgatroy
09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Be safe Play.

I think you mean the GT, the ST185 was never available in coupe form. It was available in Narrowbody and Widebody, but not a coupe.

As for Neal, lay off. In general terms, and things that the common user need to know, the main difference between a GT and GT-S is the bodystyle and the amount of options that were available. The minor nuances and techinicalities are not as important as whether they are gonna get 4 wheel disc brakes and fancy seats.

aballz
09-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Does a coupe feel that much more stable in terms of handling? There aren't many around here when i was searching for a second car. Most of them are hatchbacks but i guess when i have the money i'll go looking for a coupe. I find myself very comfortable in my celica. The leather seats are so plush compared to my Rsx.

alltracman78
09-02-2006, 01:22 AM
The GT/GTS are MUCH more similar than the GTS/Alltrac.
Both the GTand GTS are a ST184. The same chassis.
The Alltrac is a ST185. Totally different chassis.

The only similarity the GTS has with the Alltrac chassis wise is the wider fenders. And of course the same stuff that the GT has, such as doors and roof.

The GTS did not come with 15" wheels standard. At least for the pre revision models. You could get 14" wheels with 55 series tires.

The GT/GTS have IDENTICAL suspension.

As far as HVAC controls, there are SIX different versions.
Not necessarily dependant on model....

MCcelica
09-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Handeling on the coupes is the shiza.

Oh, and btw, "their" is plural because if it were singular it would be "His" or "Hers". :owned:

aballz
09-02-2006, 02:44 AM
I believe mine had some package which included an all-trac front end w/fog lights behind the grill and 15 inch wheels. So i'm guessing the 90-91 models didn't have these options at first. Which leads me to believe that since the sales of all-trac models weren't doing well, they took apart the all-trac they've made and gave the goodies to the GTS lol.

TheNefariousOne
09-02-2006, 07:21 AM
The 92-93 GTS had the same bumper as the AllTrac during those years. I thought fog lights and 15 inch wheels were standard on the GTS as well...?

GTSs were (probably) basically standard chassis Celicas with some extra options to justify having those options on lower volume cars (Supra pre-1986, AllTrac post 1987).

NOTE: I'm not saying this as fact, just hypothesizing :D

alltracman78
09-02-2006, 12:45 PM
GTSs were (probably) basically standard chassis Celicas

Both the GTand GTS are a ST184. The same chassis.

primeplaya7
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Am i the only person that actually had their car weighed on an official nascar scale? 1992 celica GT convertible 2920 on the button. Minus maybe 20 lbs for the amp and capacitor in the trunk for my system. Subs were taken out. 2900 lbs. There is no debate about that.

Murgatroy
09-02-2006, 11:21 PM
But a convertable doesn't even figure into the equation between a GT and GT-S as the `vert has so much more added weight. That was why no one paid any attention to it.

I have weighed my car on a truck scale before and it came in at 2300lbs with an empty tank and no driver.

alltracman78
09-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Am i the only person that actually had their car weighed on an official nascar scale?

Who CARES weather it was an "official Nascar scale"?
As long as it's a certified scale, such as a truck scale.....

aballz
09-03-2006, 03:50 AM
My car is obese=( and it's not american either.

d1alltrac
09-03-2006, 04:49 AM
GT-S / AllTrac 'widebody' arrived in 1990 with the introduction of the 5th gen cars.

It seems even you are contributing to the mis-information now. FYI 'widebody' was around before 5th gens, if you don't believe me come over and take a look at my 'widebody' 4th gens.

There were never GT-4's coupes...i have no idea where you heard that but its wrong.

celica9303
09-03-2006, 07:12 AM
how does the droptop not come in the equation?? it is a GT coupe with out the top and instead with a convertible top made by ASC in cali and installed instead, that is why in the vin it has a 2 instead of a 4(i dont remember which vin # it is) meaning that from the plant in Japan it was shipped as an incomplete vehicle, to be finished as a convertible when it got to california. if no one want to belive it a GT ill take a pic of my deck lid and prove it. i still have all the badging on it. (getting the pic posted will be another issue)

Murgatroy
09-03-2006, 07:49 PM
The reason a `vert doesn't come into the equation is because they were asking the difference between a GT and a GT-S. Since the convertable was not available in GT-S trim, that does make one difference. But the OP did not ask about a convertable.

Convertables are nice, they are fancy, but they are not the ideal Celica platform to start a build up for a performance car. The ST and GT coupe are the ideal platform. They weigh less and are more rigid. IMO the ST is the best due to the lack of options. It takes more work to get it to where you want it (brakes and X-member swap for a S series mill) but it starts out as the lightest of all the 5th gens.

I am not downing your car in the slightest. I am just saying that the weight of a convertable does not figure into an arguement with the weights of at GT and GT-S because of the extra support and so forth, of course it is gonna be heavier.

On that same note the weight of Chaos doesn't matter either, since she is an ST with no options, so my 2300lbs is also a moot number.

Fuelish
09-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Great points, Murgatroy......and greetings from a fellow east Tennesee Celica owner (got me a bone stock, other than stereo, '92 GT 'vert'). I 'm livin' just down 129/Alcoa Hwy from K-town, in Maryville, and LOVING my life since heading south from suburban Detroit :cool: TN definitely has more 'vert' friendly weather than MI...LOL !!!! I have no visions of having a "performance car" here, just enjoying it as Toyota had it built up.
I DO need to get correct tires on it, though...previous owner had 195/70 14's installed on the original rims...... they're just too dang tall - he took them off of a Cavalier, or something......tires are new, so I may just wear them out before looking for new, but the original size spec'ed seems harder to find. Guess that gives me a fairly good excuse to present to Mrs. Fuelish for me to upgrade to larger rims, no ??? ;)
edit : sorry if I derailed thread :arr:
The reason a `vert doesn't come into the equation is because they were asking the difference between a GT and a GT-S. Since the convertable was not available in GT-S trim, that does make one difference. But the OP did not ask about a convertable.

Convertables are nice, they are fancy, but they are not the ideal Celica platform to start a build up for a performance car. The ST and GT coupe are the ideal platform. They weigh less and are more rigid. IMO the ST is the best due to the lack of options. It takes more work to get it to where you want it (brakes and X-member swap for a S series mill) but it starts out as the lightest of all the 5th gens.

I am not downing your car in the slightest. I am just saying that the weight of a convertable does not figure into an arguement with the weights of at GT and GT-S because of the extra support and so forth, of course it is gonna be heavier.

On that same note the weight of Chaos doesn't matter either, since she is an ST with no options, so my 2300lbs is also a moot number.

celica9303
09-04-2006, 07:13 AM
murg- did you read the title of the post? "difference between the GT and GTS" (they did not specify about weight issues or coupe vs hatch) just the differences between the trim levels, i argee with your post that the vert is not the optimal platform for a performance machine but thats wasnt what the post started as the author wanted to know the difference between the two and if he made a good decision with his (or her) purchase. there is a lot of very good info in this thread and i hope it keeps comming out but its not just about which one is better for a performance car. not trying to start a fight just getting my point across, you seem to know a lot about our cars and i will prolly ask for advice in building mine from you, you have my respect.

Cavanagh
09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
The 90-?? ST *was* produced in small numbers in liftback form.

uh.....ST only came in coupe form/version.

NealWright
09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
The only similarity the GTS has with the Alltrac chassis wise is the wider fenders. And of course the same stuff that the GT has, such as doors and roof.

The GTS did not come with 15" wheels standard. At least for the pre revision models. You could get 14" wheels with 55 series tires.

As far as HVAC controls, there are SIX different versions.
Not necessarily dependant on model....
Well, mine was built Nov'89 (pretty early) ... and has the wide-body fenders, and the factory 15" wheels. Now maybe it was an option on the car (don't know), but every 1990 GT-S review article I've seen have those wheels, and so does mine. Does anybody have a dealer invoice to prove optional or standard?

While there's many different HVAC versions, the GT and GT-S versions are vastily different by model. As you already said ... GT's are cable control, GT-S are servo controlled.

As far as performance ... my GT-S handled much better than my GT. I suspect mostly due to the low-pro tires. However I have yet to find any viable option to correct the 2.2L lack of performance. So my take, is just to have fun driving it ... I don't see it being a race car.

Neal

alltracman78
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
As far as performance ... my GT-S handled much better than my GT. I suspect mostly due to the low-pro tires. However I have yet to find any viable option to correct the 2.2L lack of performance.

The 92/93 GT was available with the same size wheels, and I believe tires were the same also....

As for performance options, 5SFTE or 3SGTE....

celica91gts
09-15-2008, 08:52 AM
sorry for reviving this thread, but did 91 gts have abs? i have an abs light in the dash, but im not sure.

Shadowlife25
09-15-2008, 09:39 AM
You truly fail for resurrecting this. It needs to be pruned to take the bitchiness out of it and just list facts. :hehe:

:) Anyhow, if yours has ABS you'll see the ABS stuff right next to the power steering reservoir on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

4thgenceli
09-15-2008, 10:23 AM
You truly fail for resurrecting this. It needs to be pruned to take the bitchiness out of it and just list facts. :hehe:

:) Anyhow, if yours has ABS you'll see the ABS stuff right next to the power steering reservoir on the passenger side. Hope this helps.
muther fuckin DAWT

Oh, and the difference between a GT and GTS is the 'S', just incase anybody was curious.

Murgatroy
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Mario, you are aware that you have the powah to do that now?

Ryan
09-16-2008, 01:03 AM
ok, i was reading on this thread and somebody said that the gt has rear drums, also in the past somebody didnt believe me that my 92 gt hatch had leather seats...so my question is this... is my car few and far between(im not going to say rare) because of my options? i have the following options..
leather seats
ps
pl
pw
tilt steering
sunroof
4 wheel disc
5 sp.
ac

i havent seen one with all of these options on a gt hatch.... i may be dreaming but i just was wondering....

celica91gts
09-16-2008, 01:11 AM
i'll trade you my hatch for your coupe =)

Ryan
09-16-2008, 01:26 AM
mine is a hatch, not a coupe..lol

Murgatroy
09-16-2008, 01:44 AM
No, the GT could be had with all the options, including System 10, Leather, Sunroof rear discs, ect.

BTW the 5speed is standard, the automatic was optional.

Thus your car isn't rare, it is just well optioned.

Ryan
09-16-2008, 01:51 AM
ok, i was jw..

stealthy91GTS
03-02-2011, 11:19 PM
my 91 gts has a dual tip

Car_Barn_Bandit
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/688/8725/icon/zombie.gif

+

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/170585356206_0.jpg