PDA

View Full Version : Oil Ring

Steve Roberts
05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi I have a problem with my '02 Celica 1800.
Its burning oil, I've checked the plugs & one is oily, the nearside one.
I've checked the compression, dry & wet, the readings are o.k.
So it looks as if I've got a problem with an oil ring or valve stem seal.
How can I tell which it is?
I did hit the rev limiter once and wonder if this could have caused the problem.
Thanks steve

kerry1111
06-04-2006, 07:32 PM
hello steve

i am searching the site and forums for celica engine. my car also had he same problem as yours and...be careful i continued to drive and blew the engine to bits.

the garage told me it had something to do with a pressure leak. There was no oil leakage when the car stood still only in transit.

sorry i cant help but i thought i should warn you

by the way if you hear of an engine give me an email m8
thanks

kerry

Mr E
06-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Hitting the rev limiter shouldn't cause a huge issue as long as the engine was warm and you don't make a habit of it.

Which engine are we talking about here, a 1ZZ or a 2ZZ?
How many miles on the car?

mtp_69_i
06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
if it's a valve seal and provided it's not too far gone, you will see BLUE smoke come from the exhaust pipe when you start the car in the morning (or after extended periods of having the engine off).

The BLUE smoke will be in a cloud and will not persist, just a puff (or cloud depending on time spent switched off and extent of valve seal damage) and will NOT likely be noticable when driving (I could be wrong tho).

I'm not saying it is the valve seal that's gone, but just what the symptoms are for when a valve seal is on the way out. My 4th gen has a dodgy valve seal and one plug was oily when I pulled them. Car still runs fine and I hit the redline every now and then (it's a 3sfe so meh...).