PDA

View Full Version : gas tank fitment question

Midnight 2
05-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a 91 celica gt and have a gas tank from a 94 with fuel pump and sending unit that i want to put into the car...

Will it fit, and are there any problems?

any help would be greatly appreciated as i need help pretty fast

Midnight 2
05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Would this question be better to post in another section?

I know its kinda of hit or miss....

alltracman78
05-17-2006, 01:51 AM
I highly doubt it will fit.
The pump should work fine, but the 6th gens have a different chassis, so it's unlikely the tanks are the same....

Midnight 2
05-17-2006, 05:48 AM
A local shop by the name of Tanks R Us claimed they could install the 94 tank pump and sending unit perfectly into the 5th gen... so i'm kinda concerned as to what will go on if we get the old shitter tank out and can't get the 6th gen to fit...

Its a smokin deal so i kinda jumped on it....

Not quite sure what to believe...

alltracman78
05-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Get it in writing....

Playfortoday
05-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Get it in writing....

QFT. Could be the old bait and switch.

Midnight 2
05-18-2006, 03:59 AM
So what are you trying to say in regard to a bait and switch?

Playfortoday
05-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Meaning you are offered a price. The car is ripped apart. You are told it can't be done for the first verbal price. Either you pay the higher price since they quoted you wrong; or yo say no or you don't have the extra amount, and the car is put back together unfixed. You pay for their time and have nothing to show for it. Putting it in writing guarantees you won't pay more than the quote. Unless of course, they have a stipulation that the price can change. We had that stipulation, since digging into cars had varied results with the messes we'd find. HOWEVER, the customer had to approve any additional costs.

From wikipedia:

"A bait and switch is a form of fraud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud) in which the fraudster lures in customers by advertising (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising) a good at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute good is. The goal of the bait-and-switch is to convince some buyers to purchase the substitute good as a means of avoiding disappointment over not getting the bait, or as a way to recover sunk costs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost) expended to try to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or product advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product."

In this case the "product" is an attractive labor price.

Midnight 2
05-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks a bunch Play, this could have saved me some major problems!

Playfortoday
05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, lets hope they are on the level and you get that killer deal in writing. Just tell them, "no offense, but I don't have a lot of money for this, and I want to be sure it won't go above that price." It lessens the sting if they think you are questioning their integrity. Just lay it out that you are incapable of pulling together anymore money.

But hopefully, it won't even go that far. Just ask for a written quote, ask that to make sure there won't be any surprises, and then go into excuses if they seem to have taken offense. Keep in mind that sometimes the unforseen happens though. Like they could have quoted you a figure that is impossible to meet, because they don't understand the potential complications.