PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust Mod

undecided
05-11-2006, 02:03 AM
my dynomax was rusted out. so i pulled it off. now the car is a straight pipe paceshitter header setup with only a resonator. doesnt sound bad.. very deep but very loud as well.

the exhaust pipe stops right under the last heat shield before the bumper. about 1.5 feet from the end of the bumper. i drive with my windowz open so i dont get carbon monoxide poisoning.. other than that haha it's great!

ciento44
05-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Do you get an airy sound under full throttle in the lower rpms?

undecided
05-11-2006, 03:03 AM
hmmm i dunno, it's loud and it back fires every now and then. not loud but my friend heard it.

im going to post up picts tomorrow. it makes for a funny story :)

oh yeah has the resonator and cat still on it (high flow cat) so the resonator is doing most of the muffling.. which isnt much haha)

picts will be up tomorrow when it gets light out.

ciento44
05-11-2006, 03:23 AM
hmmm i dunno, it's loud and it back fires every now and then. not loud but my friend heard it.

im going to post up picts tomorrow. it makes for a funny story :)

oh yeah has the resonator and cat still on it (high flow cat) so the resonator is doing most of the muffling.. which isnt much haha)

picts will be up tomorrow when it gets light out.

Ahhh... ok. That's probably getting rid of that airy, blatting noise that i get... :(

undecided
05-11-2006, 01:11 PM
so u get a rattly noise? ill do picts when i get off the 8-5 i had that when it was just my header and my dynomax muffler.. no cat no resonator.. sounded like ass! haha resonator does a lot.

ciento44
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
so u get a rattly noise? ill do picts when i get off the 8-5 i had that when it was just my header and my dynomax muffler.. no cat no resonator.. sounded like ass! haha resonator does a lot.

Not much rattle.. just really airy and blatty in lower revs. But... i have NO exhaust... so that makes sense. Sounds ridiculous in the higher revs, though.

I'm thinking about doing a cheapo fix, and just doing a side exit straight pipe.

undecided
05-11-2006, 06:03 PM
haha i was going to do a side exit right after the cat as well :)

MCcelica
05-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Side exit in front of the rear tires or front? Driver, passenger or both sides? I'd like to get some headers, maybe DC's or something, and run a side exit, one in front of the back tires on both sides.

ciento44
05-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Please don't do both sides... :( It'll sound bad, and be a waste of tubing.

I'd probably do drivers side, in front of rear tire... i need to take a better look at what's going on down there. I figure if it works on a Neon, should work on the Celica. :p

MCcelica
05-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Haha, well I haven't done anything at all yet. It's just an idea. On my old 5th gen I just chopped the muffler off, and ran a tip with the stock cat and a resonator. I liked how that sounded and I'm not ruling it out for this one too. It's by far the cheapest option right now. Kept the backfiring pretty low that way too.

Azzazzyn
05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I've got an exhaust leak somewhere up front, so I have that nasty sound going on in the lower rpms, it sucks balls, but my megan header came the other day, and I just scored a 5zigen fireball 2 1/2 ceramic coated catback for $180 yesterday, should have it all on next weekend.

MCcelica
05-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Posting pics when done?

Murgatroy
05-14-2006, 08:33 AM
I have not had a muffler on Chaos for going on 4 years. It ends right after the rear suspension. I cut it off with a torch and have just been running that. It still have the resonator. You won't smother yourself with carbon monoxide, so don't panic about that.

As for the side exhaust it will be tricky depending on ground clearance as the Celica wasn't designed for that, but some folks have done it. I have thought about it as well for other reasons, mainly it is economical and lighter than 4 more feet of pipe.