PDA

View Full Version : GT-Four RC Water to Air I/C Installation

Stinger
01-09-2005, 04:28 AM
Hey guys

I may be getting a complete RC water to air I/C setup for 550 $NZ and im just wondering if i can get a breif description of what is involved in installating the entire RC I/C setup, my Dad is a mechanic so ive got someone to help me out installing it, but i also want to learn while im doing this so i can provide a nice writeup as the install happens.

Any info much appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan Hohneck

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-09-2005, 05:07 AM
Its completely plug and play, the intercooler bolts right up, the pump bolts upto a part behind the bumper, and all the relevent lines are plug and play.

the only pioneering you will have to do is to get the water pump to work, but thats easy with a relay.

the water tempsensor isn't used either.

Beej
01-09-2005, 10:19 AM
i think i once heard it mentioned that the piping on 185's is 65MM, 185RC's is 70 and 205's is 75??

unsure, but thats the only problem i could think of

ChrisD
01-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Make sure you have the ST185RC throttle body inlet. If you aren't able to source that, the ST165 one is identical.

I believe if you use the mounting bracket/engine hook peice from the RC it will make fitting a little easier, although it is not required.

You don't use the water level sensor.

Take the wires coming from the ic, and connect the positive end to a 12V power source (from some wire, or from the battery with a relay), and the other end to ground.

Make sure the hoses are hooked up nicely.

Mount the heat exchanger as it fits best.

All in all it is pretty simple. Took very little extra work for me to add it onto my 185 engine during my swap.

Stinger
01-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys, looks like i will be doing this I/C conversion :woot:

Stinger
01-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey

I just picked up the RC intercooler setup. Just one more question, The IC radiator i got with the setup, does that replace an existing radiator in here (pic) http://www.celica5thgeneration.com/misc/stinger/temp/radiators.jpg
or do i have to try and fit it in the front there? Will i have to remove the big crash bar? i think i might have to take the Air con out but hopefully not the big crash bar.

Heres some pics of the setup i got to btw :bowdown:

http://www.celica5thgeneration.com/misc/stinger/RCintercoolersetup4.jpg
http://www.celica5thgeneration.com/misc/stinger/RCintercoolersetup3.jpg

Thanks for the help. Also i will be making a write up of this install when i get it done so i can post that in here for others to use.

Cheers

ChrisD
01-21-2005, 07:12 AM
That rad you refer to is the A/C. No it doesn't replace that. The RC has a smaller crash bar so there is more room up there. I'm not sure if you need it for the install on a stock bumper.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-21-2005, 07:40 AM
remove the fan off the aircon
the wta radiator should bolt up in front of it then.

It should fit with teh stock crash bar.

Stinger
01-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys!

It wont hurt to remove the fan on the air con, well my air con dosent work anyway. I will take a look in the morning when its light :D

Is this your site ChrisD? http://www.gtfour.ca/howtoswap.html

Very ussful information!

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-21-2005, 07:48 AM
if you wanted to be smart about it, wire up both fans to a relay and have them running all the time. You have to setup a relay anyway for the pump anyways, might as well do it all at once.

Stinger
01-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah i will have the pump hooked up to a relay. Guess it wont hurt to hook the fans up too :D

ChrisD
01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Is this your site ChrisD? http://www.gtfour.ca/howtoswap.html

Very ussful information!

Yep, thats mine. :) Thanks!

YangS
01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Is it possible to put a water to air IC on a st215? Or is the manifold inlet different?

ChrisD
01-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Manifold inlet is different, but, nothing is impossible. ;)

ST205 intake manifold would bolt right up...

Jaemus
01-23-2005, 11:18 AM
its a good thing u dont have to use the water level sensor, from what ive been reading, its super-sensitive and gives ECU error codes alot on the 205

me being me, i'd hook it up to some sort of gauge or indicator or something just becuase its there

Supersprynt
01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
First - do you absolutely need the relay for the pump? Couldnt you have it always on? Its a common mod on the ST165. Second - What I was considering doing is hooking the water level sensor to the washer fluid light - so that ifby chance it did get low the fluid light would go off.

I myself just picked up an RC w2a so this is helpful.

Hooligan
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
The only downside to the pump being on all of the time is that it will not last as long.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-24-2005, 08:10 PM
First - do you absolutely need the relay for the pump? Couldnt you have it always on? Its a common mod on the ST165. Second - What I was considering doing is hooking the water level sensor to the washer fluid light - so that ifby chance it did get low the fluid light would go off.

I myself just picked up an RC w2a so this is helpful.

Think about it for a second. If he doesn't have a car with the wta intercooler already, he has to wire it up to turn the pump on somehow. You can't just run the pump directly off the battery... otherwise it would be on all the time, including when the car was off. Thats what i meant when i said 'get a relay'

Supersprynt
01-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Well obviously you wouldnt do it to the battery, but ignition.