PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Buffer?

ibanezgfx
12-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Are they a good investment? You can get them for pretty cheap, but im also assuming you get what you pay for. ive never used one before but id like to. i hate waxing by hand. its a pain in the ass. any tips on how to use one ?

i just did a 3 step system to my car. it looks really good all things considered. ive been backed into at school when i wasnt there which scratched my rear bumper on both sides. and 3 panels of the car had been repainted before i got it, one is chipping off, and the other two are nice and shiney. as for the rest of the car, it looks good only afer i wax it for 2 hours. lol

Drocay
12-02-2004, 04:45 PM
I think orbital buffers are great, on thing i can't stress don't stay in one spot to long and use the edge to get a better detail.

Colossus20v
12-02-2004, 04:47 PM
i use a buffer on my nissan. It worked well. Remember the bonnets need to stay clean so you dont scratch your paint at all. Go slow and make sure you dont miss parts. On the celica I always do it by hand because i enjoy feeling the curves.

Tommy91GT
12-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Orbital buffers are great on most cars. Depending on the type, year, and exterior mods you have they can be a pain thou. I've found with the curves on my celi with the kit and spoiler its actually easier to do it by hand. By hand makes it easier to get an even shine everywhere.

Henry
12-03-2004, 12:18 PM
They're great for large, "flat" areas like your hood, doors, roof, and trunk. You'll still have to hand wax around certain edges, nooks, and tight areas.

Hooligan
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I would probably recommend a small random-orbital over a larger orbital. It's much harder to do damage to the paint with this kind of buffer (edges in particular) and is still much faster than by hand.

If you do get one, make sure you have a different pad for each product you use with the buffer.

ibanezgfx
12-03-2004, 08:31 PM
thanks for all the info
where would i get a smaller one? how much and what would be a good brand.

Hooligan
12-03-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks for all the info
where would i get a smaller one? how much and what would be a good brand.

Most major brands should sell a random orbital buffer. Pick whichever you like. Something with a OPM (orbits per minute) control would be preferred. Keep in mind that it will probably be on for long periods of time, so don't skimp.

I've used Dewalt and Makita and both were superb.

MoralWarfare
12-03-2004, 09:34 PM
i use an orbital buffer for larger areas and less curvy cars. my father's 328i is an excellent example of the benefits of an orbital buffer. However, you do need to touch up spots by hand in order to get the best results, as the buffer can't get into little crevaces like your hand and towel. overall, i would suggest them if you want to cut down on the time you wax, but i prefer hand waxing.

carlosfandango
12-04-2004, 04:39 AM
my elbow is better than the poncy orbital buffers we got out here. i bought one, it was slower than a dead slug. by the time i plugged it in, faffed on, i had applied and removed all the polish/wax.

when i polish the car, i cover the whole car in 5 mins and buff it off in another 5. But, i did have my own Pro valeting firm, so i'm kinda quicker than the average jo. I can wash wax the whole car, valet the interior etc etc in 1 hour flat. He he he..

ibanezgfx
12-04-2004, 08:06 AM
whats up marathon?
just playin, but damn dude, thats craziness

carlosfandango
12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
crazy as.. rapid cleaning man I is...

convertiblechick
12-11-2004, 07:01 AM
I have a Porter-Cable.Its what I did the back window with. :wiggle:

ConSynX
12-11-2004, 07:21 AM
orbitals are a waste IMO
They will cut down time, but they're hard to use on curves like already mentioned
a ROTARY buffer on the other hand is a MUST have when detailing :)

Hksxtricky
12-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Orbitals suck!
Yes i agree a rotary is great. I have a dewalt 849 very very nice detailing tool!

Hooligan
12-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Rotaries are faster acting, but are not a good idea for inexperienced buffers. Random orbitals are pretty much foolproof.

ConSynX
12-13-2004, 04:37 AM
but they dont really acomplish anything unless you have hours on hand...if he get a good rotary he can turn down the speed...it's really not that hard, he just has to see how someone else uses it..
so he doesn't try to use the flat part...

ibanezgfx
12-13-2004, 05:24 PM
i might price some of each. maybe try some or somethin. thanks for all the help

ConSynX
12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
orbitals are cheap to get, that's why i have one, rotaries are a bit more...

you know how there's clay bars and all that jaz out there to help your paint...if you know how to use a buffer, i think you can say screw it to 90% of all that other stuff