PDA

View Full Version : Need cheap muffler for 89 Celica ST 3SFE

Stromm
05-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Anyone know of what I should get? I check with AdvanceAutoPart, AutoZone, etc and they don't really have a clue. Even though their websites show what "looks" like what I need, the people behind the counter say they only have "universal" mufflers.

Muffler shops want $140+ for just the muffler and then about $30 for install. They won't tell me whose muffler (makes me think they're using NAPA or Autozone :). Most parts stores want $30-90 for a muffler, but again they can't tell me if it's with the pipe (engine side) or without.

I really want to simply unbolt the muffler's pipe, pull it out, mount the new one and then bolt it back up.

The web pics aren't very clear. I can't tell if the pipe comes pre-bent for the "Direct fit" versions or if it'll need bent to shape.

I tried looking at some other site (has lots of toyota parts), but man it seems like the pictures aren't always what you get, they are "generic photos". What a stupid thing to do.

Any ideas?

Heck, if someone have a used fair OEM one they're willing to sell for less than $50 shipped to Ohio let me know!!

4thgenceli
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I know of a couple people that are parting out some 3sfe cars. (IM/PM me for info).

Stromm
05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Boy I appreciate the offer, but I've been really swamped with teaching AND taking 8 credit hours of classes myself, plus packing for moving.

So, I just went back to AdvanceAuto and with stuff printed off RockAuto and they hooked me up with the correct muffler. About $90.