PDA

View Full Version : 5sfte on hold, newer celica??

ty_44_69
05-08-2006, 10:47 PM
After realizing that if I want to turbo my car I don't want to drive it year round I want to save it for the summer. I'm still gathering parts for the turboing but I want to wait until I get another car so I can work on the 91 and not have to rush it to get it back on the road.

So in October I turn 21, and (knock on WOOD, KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK) my insurance drops quite a bit, so I will be looking at purchasing another car.
Right now I'm thinking I might just want to get a newer Celica. I want something that I don't have to do any major maintenance on, I can drive it year round, and I will be familiar with it, that is why I'm thinking Celica.
Depending on the price I'm looking between 00 - 05, realizing that 05's will be out of my price range. I don't want to spend anymore than 20k Canadian, would rather spend closer to 15k.

Here is where the real questions come in:
1)what are the differences between 00 and 04 Celica's
2) what is the difference between GT and GT-S? The only thing I'm aware of is I believe GT has 140 hp, and GT-S has 180 hp
3)are all GT-S equipped with a more powerful engine, same or diff engine?
4)anything I should look out for with one of these vehicles?
5)or is there another vehicle in the same price range you would recommend that has better performance and reliability?

T-spoon
05-08-2006, 11:02 PM
If you want something that's pretty quick, get a 6spd GT-S. If your budget doesn't allow that, get a 5spd GT. The automatic GT-S, frankly, is a waste of money IMO as it's hardly quicker than a 5spd GT. I believe there was a change in the GT-S relating to the lift or rev limiter that from a performance aspect would make you lean towards a pre.. 02 I believe, but you'd want to check and see if the lift bolts were replaced on those. (I'm not really a 7g guy so details may be a bit off).

If you want something newer and bulletproof, try to find a lower mileage 6g GT(or GTS up there), like a 98-99. The 5s is simply a day-to-day better engine IMO than the 1zz. Having owned both (and about the best version of the 1zz you're going to find), that's my opinion. I hate how lazy the 1zz is until higher RPM.

ty_44_69
05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
If I were to get a 7th gen I already narrowed it down to GT-S, and of course manual. If I got an automatic in a Celica, you could paint me purple and call me gay. There are cars you get in auto........Celica is not one of them.
The reason I like the idea of 00+ is: they are a lot more common around here than 6th gen. Not that common is a good thing, but it would just be harder for me to find one, as I never see them at any dealers.
Also I'm getting a newer car because I don't want to have to do all the maintenance, I want something reliable as a daily driver, also I live in Canada so unless the cars have been taken care of properly they usually start to rust, and incurr many other problems, so just another reason for looking newer.

Now that is interesting about the 1zz and the 5sfe though. I have never looked into them so I don't know the difference between the two engines. I thought the newer engines would be nicer. The 1zz is still a very reliable engine though correct?

AK47
05-09-2006, 12:08 AM
no 1zz engine burns oil like crazy apparently...there are countless casualties. The 2zz engine doesnt burn as much but might stil burn. Most issue happend around 80-100Km. As an experience 7th ge GT-S owner...be ready for no torque but a nice sounding reasonable top end engine.

tealterror
05-09-2006, 12:14 AM
6g would be the way to go I had one but I sold it because it was the ST version at that time when i had it I had no idea about 2.2 and so on and I hated the speed cut at 115 mph it really sucked. I sold it to a guy on my job and he drive it for 2 years then I bought it back for my cousin who just put a 5S in it. oh man he is loving it right now and it makes me feel I should of kept it and done the same, but at tha time I had no idea of celicatech and how much support you guys give here. I would say a 6G GT with with a set up like pressure or lagos would be cool. like the WRC nose. I know that will be my next ride after this one and hell yes another teal celica dammit !

ty_44_69
05-09-2006, 12:47 AM
you guys are missing the point though, especially: "setup like Lagos or Pressure"
I want to keep this stock pretty much stock, I just want a car to get around in year round.
Were there any different engine available in 7th gen or just the 1zz?
I never heard of them being unreliable, always thought they were just as reliable as 5th and 6th gen.
So although I realize there are drawbacks of newer there are many pro's, but thank you for bringing the con's because I do want to know the drawbacks of both.
If you see any up for sale send me the info too plz :)

yotas4life
05-09-2006, 01:37 AM
dont rely on a warrenty ither, the warrenty compnay that associates w toyota (extended warrenty compay) wont pay for SHIT

i say go w the 6th

ty_44_69
05-09-2006, 03:41 AM
ohh man you guys are killing me here! I like the feedback though, can't say you didn't tell me so.
Here is the problem I just ran into. I was talking to a guy about buying his alltrac, then we lost touch and he just got back to me. 92 Alltrac 150K on it, he's asking $8500 Can. I hope I can talk him down a bit! Then I keep my 91 Celica for winter and make that Alltrac my summer project!

OR

Keep my 91 for summer turbo and then turbo the 5s, and get a 7gc for the winter

OR

Get 6gc for summer, use the turbo parts I was planning on using on my 5gc, and keep my 91 for the winter.
Ahhhhhhhh :ooo:
what to do what to do :ugh:

ciento44
05-09-2006, 04:35 AM
1zz is good for 140hp in stock form (7th gen GT)
2zz is good for 180hp in stock form (7th gen GT-S)

Much as i love the way the 6th gens look... if you already have a 5th gen, and are deciding between an alltrac, 6th gen, or a 7th gen GT-S 6spd, the 6th gen should be the first to go.

I'd go the AllTrac route, but i also, am looking into a 7th gen GTS as a daily. Sooo.... i dunno what to tell you.

T-spoon
05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I didn't mean to imply the 1zz is a bad engine, just that it's really weak in the torque department and it's not as rugged as the 5s. The 2zz isn't a bad motor either, just a bit high strung. You have to work hard to kill a 5s. Treating the zz series badly seems to kill it. If you take care of it, a zz car wouldn't be a bad daily.

As far as summer vs winter driver, if you got an alltrac, I'd :squint: at you for making it your summer car and the FWD your winter car.

ciento44
05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
AllTracs are year round BEASTS!!!

yotas4life
05-09-2006, 08:33 PM
so is yo mama
dude i love your sigs shits soo funny^

ty_44_69
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
HAHAAHA ohh ciento44 that is the funniest shit ever.....man I can't get enough of your different sigs. If there was a vote on celicatech for best sigs.......you would win!

Either way,

1zz is good for 140hp in stock form (7th gen GT)
2zz is good for 180hp in stock form (7th gen GT-S)
That was the answer I was looking for, I didn't realize they were actually different engines.
Don't get me wrong, hands down I would love to take the Alltrac and do it up for a summer car, but I've owned an older car already and I know how much work they are, especially when it is from Canada. There is just too much rust and too many problems, now if it were from the States that's a different story.

I'm am considering the 6th gen though, because there is no reason why I can't take all the turbo parts I've purchased and put them on the 6gc. It would probably be better since it is a newer car, and would be equipped with a knock sensor.
Again I have to see what become available up here because I can't afford to go to the States to look at a car. So if anyone heres of anything in Ontario that comes available PM me.
The difference between 6gc GT and GT-S...is it the same a 5gc GT and GT-S?
Also are all 7gc GT-S equipped with 6spd? I do a lot of highway driving so that would be a bonus!!!! When driving my car on the highway I usually lock the cruise in at about 3700-4000 rpm, 5sfe can take that rpm for hours at a time without a problem correct?

T-spoon
05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Far as I know, canadian GT and GTS are about the same, like the 5g gt-gts. Same engine etc. All the manual tranny 7g GTS come with 6spd. All the GT manuals are 5speed. This is from the factory of course, you can put the gts 6speed into a GT, it'll mate up to the 1zz.

ty_44_69
05-10-2006, 12:04 AM
6gc GT-s have wider body then GT? anyother differences w/ 6gc?

from what I've seen on this thread it seems like most people don't really care for the 7gc, but 2zz seems to be pretty good. Sounds reliable, not as much torque as 5s, but engine engineering is more sound, 2zz engine alone should have better fuel mileage than 5s, nice having 6spd for fuel mileage as well.
2zz = 180 hp stock, what is that at the wheels 150whp?

ty_44_69
05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
was TRD options a dealer option or is that something you add after? Like I know you can get TRD parts and everything, just wasn't sure if you could of ordered a TRD Celica, with the parts you wanted?

yotas4life
05-10-2006, 06:17 AM
2zz gets better melage, they usually put down about 160whp, and very few trd parts, i dont htink trd makes parts for it anymore scince it was discontinued

ciento44
05-10-2006, 06:36 AM
2zz gets better melage, they usually put down about 160whp, and very few trd parts, i dont htink trd makes parts for it anymore scince it was discontinued

What he said. BUT, there's more and more aftermarket support for them, everyday, even up to a turbo kit, finally.

I'd supercharge it though.. :p

But you just want stock. And yes, to manual 6-speed. I'd just get it. I fully plan on getting one late this fall when i get a better job. SOoooo... by next summer... i'll have a 1st, 5th, and 7th gen. Awesome.

aballz
05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Why don't u try out something new like a civic or integra as a daily driver?

ciento44
05-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Why don't u try out something new like a civic or integra as a daily driver?

Well... in my case, i'd be more likely the mod the hell out of one of those than a 7th gen. Don't know what his excuse would be, though.

Morwan
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
A stock 7th gen GT is the best handling Celica ever made. If you're interested in speed, the GT-S isn't a bad choice-- it's just really hard to launch because of lift.

The 5s can take more punishment than either of the ZZ engines, but the ZZ engines will actually respond to modifications.

ty_44_69
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I like to stay with Toyota, no Hondas.

I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind to buy a 7gc GT-S. I'm thinking Blue, Black or Silver, Silver looks good but it is so common
Why do you say 7th GT is best handling Celica, wouldn't GT-S be better, I assumed it would have a little better suspension than GT.
I don't understand what you mean about hard to launch because of lift?

I would probably do minor mods to the car. I hate to say this but how does the 7gc respond to things like: CAI or Short Ram Intake, Cat back exhaust, not sure what else to do really. That would be the last thing I worry about though

ciento44
05-11-2006, 02:33 AM
I like to stay with Toyota, no Hondas.

I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind to buy a 7gc GT-S. I'm thinking Blue, Black or Silver, Silver looks good but it is so common
Why do you say 7th GT is best handling Celica, wouldn't GT-S be better, I assumed it would have a little better suspension than GT.
I don't understand what you mean about hard to launch because of lift?

I would probably do minor mods to the car. I hate to say this but how does the 7gc respond to things like: CAI or Short Ram Intake, Cat back exhaust, not sure what else to do really. That would be the last thing I worry about though

It's hard to launch, because there is really not much power at all, until you hit lift. So... you either smoke your tires, or bog.

ty_44_69
05-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I talked to the dealer today, as my Dad just bought a 07 Camry XLE. I took the Camry for a spin.........wow, that thing has power! I was at a hundred and it felt like 60...could not believe it.
Either way the sales guy told me:
GT has power at 4k rpm well GT-S will not because of vvti
He said a guy traded in his celica and he put a cold air intake on it and it out preformed a GT-S....I found that hard to believe a cold air intake could make up for a 40hp, it may have more power at lower rpm, but I dont know.
And he also so he expects something from Toyota like Celica but it will be a couple of years. Which is brutal!

bloodredgt
05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
i'm pretty sure the gt-s driver didn't know how to drive or is just not familiar with his car. From a dig the GT should pop out ahead but by 3rd gear, the GT-S should be gone.

Why don't you just buy a new car and sell me the turbo kit you bought off of ummmx2? :D

Morwan
05-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Why do you say 7th GT is best handling Celica, wouldn't GT-S be better, I assumed it would have a little better suspension than GT
I'm pretty sure that the suspension setups are identical.

I'm not entirely sure why, but the GT's always beat the GT-S at AutoX. The Celica GT is the only car that can compete with the Mini in G Stock (the class that most Celicas are in), and they completely own the STX class.

Murgatroy
05-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Option weight on the GT-S is probably what hinders it most in the AutoX, that and the gear ratios of the 6-speed.

However I am thinking the GT-S did get a slightly stiffer suspension, at the least in the so called 'Action Package' or similar trim levels.

yotas4life
05-14-2006, 01:15 AM
gt is better in auto x due to the power band, plain and simple

ty_44_69
05-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Why don't you just buy a new car and sell me the turbo kit you bought off of ummmx2?

Here is the deal......I'm going to see the Alltrac this week, if it is not sold and is in good shape I will buy it! Then I will sell turbo kit.
If not then I will buy a 7gc, and turbo my 91 GT.
So I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Alltrac brings! I would love the alltrac but if the under carrage is rusted out........I'd rather just get a newer vehicle.

bloodredgt
05-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Dibs!!!!!!!!!!

ty_44_69
05-14-2006, 02:39 PM
ha you better hope I get that alltrac then

bloodredgt
05-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Hoping...

Colossus20v
05-16-2006, 06:00 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Would be nice to have a newer car and be able to just tear into a project car without having to worry about it having to run the next day.

ty_44_69
05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
exactly! That way you can take your time with doing things, and if anything goes wrong.....well put it away and fix it right! I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of turboing a car and having to run it all the time, especially when the most I've done is like basic stuff: change the spring, brakes, oil, you know general stuff nothing major like a project like that.

bloodredgt
05-17-2006, 12:42 AM
When are you checking out that alltrac???

ty_44_69
05-17-2006, 01:19 AM
our scheduales aren't meeting up, he is having some guys look at it the weekend, and I'm going away so I might be SOL. So we'll have to see

bloodredgt
05-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Sol?

ty_44_69
05-17-2006, 03:54 AM
shit out of luck

bloodredgt
05-17-2006, 05:00 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. sell it to me :D

ty_44_69
05-17-2006, 09:04 PM
blood just pm me, I want to keep this thread on topic.